Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Musical Box

Tonysounds

Saw them last nite finally: they're doing Selling England by the Pound.

FAN-FRIGGN-TASTIC! More than a concert/show, this is theatre. It was so weird looking at the stage up close: it was so primitive, but so so GOOD.

They're in Chicago again tonite if you're in the hood.

T

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had to cut my post short, but I wanted to add that while the stage set looked so primitive, with oddly shaped background, the lighting director was SO on his game, that those odd shapes really were so unique when the lights hit them, or slides were broadcast on them. Add in the weird make up with blacklights and you really had a cool presentation....arguably cooler than the Genesis show I saw a couple months ago. (I'd go back to Musical Box tonite if I could afford the time; I can't say the same for Genesis, even though I liked it.)

And the band, EVERY member is on top of it. The Steve Hackett guy nails it, tone and phrasing and atmosphere. The Rutherford guy gets the nastiest, gnarliest Rickenbacker tones, and is exceptional on bass and 12 string guitars. The drummer is killer, playing a very small (in number and dimensions) Gretsch drum kit, totally giving the Phil Collins parts life. The Peter Gabriel cat is actually kinda scary: it's weird watching someone channel someone else, but his vocals, between song patter, and even eerier, his stage mannerisms, make you believe you're watching Gabriel circa '72-73. The keyboard player is unbelievable,using a mixture of vintage and contemporary gear: Hammond L100 (it looked like) with Arp ProSoloist on top, and a Roland A90 atop a Mellotron-shaped box probably holding another controller (all keyboards white except the Pro-Soloist), powering 2 modules. Authentic tones, but more importantly, his playing was fantastic. Hearing him do the intro to Firth of Fifth was almost worth the price of admission alone (especially as I've been working on that one recently). And he plays 12 string guitar as well.

Their lighting guy is their secret weapon. I didn't feel like I was watching a 2nd rate "tribute", this was true theatre.

And while I was always an OLD Genesis fan, if this is what the band was like live back then, I realize now why the older fans were so up in arms over the pop makeover. (I was one of them, but because of the music, not because I had seen one of these older shows.) The old Genesis were a FREAK SHOW!!!!

I would even have to say that while I love Trick of the Tail, I now have to say that the Great Divide was Selling England by the Pound. The Lamb really doesnt factor into either era as that was such a transition album and really stands alone: the arrangements and songwriting were starting to become more concise, and Gabriel had taken his mythologizing (lyrically and visually) to its extreme, yet was starting to write in more literal terms.

Its weird that this show would have me thinking so much about this band, but this was an era before my time. In 76 I was in 8th grade, and Genesis played the Auditorium (Trick of the Tail tour), and WXRT broadcast it live on the radio, and I taped that show on my little Allied cassette recorder. And those shows were more straightforward in terms of presentation; but this last nite was so unique and compelling, that it makes me wish I had been able to see the real thing at the same time because given what they had to work with, Genesis was truly groundbreaking and expressionist in terms of visual and musical presentation.

Even if you arent particularly a Genesis fan, you should go see these guys, because it is really a remarkable show.

The third and fourth albums, Nursery Cryme and Foxtrot, are really the cult of Gabriel. The 5th and 6th were much more refined musically and melodically.

If they ever reunite I think they could skip albums 1,2 5, and 6 the cult would die happy to hear and see Gabriel performing Cryme and Foxtrot.

I saw the show around this time last year, and was very impressed.

I actually got teary-eyed when they started Musical Box.

The guy on drums is amazing. Plays better than Collins!

I saw an old Genesis show where Tony Banks blows the intro on FOF, which is why he never did it live after that. Nice to hear the MB keyboardist play it.

Most of these guys are from Laval, a Montreal suburb around 10 mins from my place.

Looking forward to the surround remasters from this period. It's too bad they decided to do the rest of the Collins catalog first.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

Montage M7, MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XS Rack, PolyEvolver, Voyager, Cobalt 8X, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

The third and fourth albums, Nursery Cryme and Foxtrot, are really the cult of Gabriel. The 5th and 6th were much more refined musically and melodically.

If they ever reunite I think they could skip albums 1,2 5, and 6 the cult would die happy to hear and see Gabriel performing Cryme and Foxtrot.

No Selling England or Lamb? :eek:

Speaking as a die hard Genesis fan from way back, I do not believe you are correct.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

The Musical Box kicks complete ass. You're right about the 'theatre' aspect; they faithfully reproduce the entire Genesis concert experience as though they were working from a script. I saw their "Selling" show in 2002. I thought I was watching a live-action Genesis DVD from back in the day! Other than the guitarist and frontman having a bit more belly than Hackett and Gabriel would have had, and the drummer's kit being 'backwards', I would have thought I was looking at the real thing. It helps that they are using the original 1973 stage set and projection slides, purchased from who-knows-where.

With my eyes closed, it was as though I had Genesis Live playing on a really big, really nice stereo. The piano break in the middle of "Firth" and the badass square-wave descending blues lick from "Cinema Show" were worth the ticket price alone. And since I'll never hear Genesis play "Supper's Ready" again, and probably wouldn't want to, it's a great experience.

My final word, sadly, is, "Beware of inferior originals." :(

I though I'd read they had quit touring - lucky you!

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

It helps that they are using the original 1973 stage set and projection slides, purchased from who-knows-where.

Directly from Genesis, so I've read.

Mike Rutherford had all of it in his shed... ;)

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

Montage M7, MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XS Rack, PolyEvolver, Voyager, Cobalt 8X, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

I've seen their Lamb and Selling England shows a couple of times. Both are pretty scary... :cool::thu:

Interestingly enough, the first time I saw them do The Lamb, the track that knocked me out the most was The Waiting Room. I cannot believe they took the time and energy to get that as dead on as it was. :eek:

If you're really into the Genesis thing, original TMB keyboardist David Myers has an album out of solo piano versions of a bunch of Genesis tunes. It's excellent.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

David, how do I acquire that CD. (Kevin Gilbert, one of the great unknowns.)

As for how they got slides, etc., according to their lighting director, they license the show and materials for 18 mos. at a crack.

Interesting.

I would love to catch the Selling England tour! I saw the Lamb and Foxtrot era tours of the MB and loved it. Genesis toured the Lamb in my area back in '75 so it was a pleasure to have my bandmates see the MB as they were unawares back in those days.

I too am surprised they were back touring; I thought the Foxtrot tour I saw last year was the last.

"The devil take the poets who dare to sing the pleasures of an artist's life." - Gottschalk

Soundcloud

Aethellis

There is a chance I will get to see the Long Island show on 12/22, as I am attending my stepson's Bar Mitzvah on that day, in or around the Hempstead area.

Seems this band likes to come around to the States every December, and every damn December I am so busy with Xmas/Chanukah crap, and other obligations, to be able to get out to see them. Hopefully this year will be different.

Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M

Archived