Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Zoom H2 Recorder Durability and Carrying Case

djb

I'm considering purchase of a Zoom H2. I wonder if any current users can comment on its durability. The touch pad type controls on the front look like they might be prone to breaking.

Also, has anyone found a good carrying case for the recorder + all of its accessories?

Thanks,

Dave

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The buttons won't break, they are just skinned and don't protrude. Don't drop it or the case will break. It's cheap plastic and no case/skin is made for it yet.

Other than that it works fine, just don't expect studio-quality recording. I've had mine for about a month and works exactly as advertised.

XKDave

I got mine just after they came out. I use it primarily to record gigs, so I've taken it out well over a dozen times. It comes with a little cloth bag, which I put it in pretty much for dust protection. I cary it (as well as the other accesseries) in an average camera case. It still looks brand-spanking new.

The buttons are like these little chicklet things...they feel kind of funny, but they feel strong I think they should hold up.

Recording acoustics instruments and conversations using the built-in mics yelids very good results, IMHO. It can record up to 96mHz/24-bit, and the mics seem pretty good quality. Recording a band pumped through a PA and amps is different, however. I've tried that twice and it simply doesn't capture the essence of what you hear listening live. That may be the nature of recording audio off of a PA in general. I'm not sure if the H2 is to blame. I normally record straight from the sound board, so I don't use the mics often. The results staright from the board are usually quite good. The problems occur when I've got the recording levels up too high, or the mix simply wasn't right for board recording. Lately, I've been using the built-in AGC to keep the levels even - that's been working out really great!

I really like the H2 and am glad I got it. I wanted a good high-quality recorder but didn't want to spend $400, so I was stoked when I saw this come out!

Check out my band's site at:

The Key Components!

On another forum, many people have them and love them. For what it is, the H2 recording quality is pretty good.

I'm about to buy one a present for one of my kids. She's been told by a few sources to record her daily practice sessions and listen to them. Toying with the idea of stepping up to the H4 but can't find out if you can import audio (like a Jamey Aebersold backing track) to 2 tracks, then overdub a solo over it.

This is from the Zoom FAQ page, it looks like you can as long as it is the correct type:

Q: Can I import a WAV file created on a computer into the H4 and then use it for guitar, bass, or vocals overdubbing?

A: Yes, this is possible. If it is a 16-bit/44.1 kHz WAV file, it can be imported into a 4-track mode project and used in the same way as a file recorded by the H4. Use the H4 as an SD card reader and copy the WAV file from the computer to the desired project folder. If it is a stereo file, be sure to assign it to a track pair for which stereo link is enabled (tracks 1/2 or 3/4).

The manual is available here:

http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1901&brandID=4

I have an H4, it is a pretty handy recorder as is the H2 from what I have read.

I have not used the H2 but we have recorded my 4pc band with the Zoom HD16CD Multi-Track and it works very well. We take a mix right off the board with a submix of my keys and a sub mix of drums. Lots of features to mix inside and it captures the band well. For the price that is the way to go.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--ZOMHD16CD

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

I love the H4. I record rehearsals (if I need to learn something quick) and gigs. Oh and solo bass stuff at home. The sound quality is great. It has stood up really well - even occasionally I've just thrown it in the gig bag without even bothering with the protective case and it's been fine.

It's a huge step up from the minidisc/T mic combo I was using before. Hugely recommended - I'm sure the H2 is good too.

Thanks guys for the input on durability and the tip on using a camera case for storing Zoom H2 + accessories. A Google search found this discussion on another forum that recommends some specific cases, Lowepro Ridge 20 is one.

http://www.2090.org/zoom/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=9891&sid=cdd6a4ef3e8727fd11ee8f5f5dc5b8d4

That discussion also mentions that the display plastic scratches easily and recommends using protective film like you can buy for IPod displays. Sounds like a good idea to me.

Dave

Archived