Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

,Stand Suggestions for CP300

Vicks7

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi All,

I would appreciate any recommendations for stands for the Yamaha CP-300 Keyboard. It seems that the LP-3 which is specifically designed for the CP-300 has been discontinued. Stand will predominantly be for home use.

Many thanks

James

That seems a bit odd, especially not to have a replacement.

The stand that most pro/live guys use is the Quick Lok WS-550.

For correct piano playing seating height, it's the only one I've found that work (most adjustments) with Yamaha digital pianos that have the internal speakers. There's a small lip underneath those particular keyboards that throws everything off in regards to your seating height on a typical stand.

This might not be the most designer/fashionable piece for your living room but it does look cool on stage.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--QLKWS550

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

https://www.youtube.com/@daveferris2709

2005 NY Steinway D

Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, CP88, P515

No, not at all. This stand has most adjustments for the seated pianist that I've found. I have 2, one set up in the studio that I keep my Yamaha S90 set up on and one for gigging.

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

https://www.youtube.com/@daveferris2709

2005 NY Steinway D

Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, CP88, P515

Quik-Lok M-91 Monolith

PROS: rock solid, folds flat, good-looking (for a KB stand), plenty of room for knees and pedals, optional 2nd tier, you can run your pedal cables under the front support to keep them in place (or at least on a short tether) on a slick floor

CONS: heavy, expensive, large footprint when folded flat, doesn't fit on my hand cart

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

The problem with the WS-550 is that it isn't clear which extenders are appropriate for a second tier. This is one of the many reasons I backed out this morning and went with the Ultimate Apex stand instead.

If it turns out to be ideal for gigging but not for home use when I'm sitting, I'll look into the WS-550 again. I was just so annoyed that even QuikLok's own website did not indicate any second tier as workable (even the one that I thought visually matched the one in the photos posted in an earlier topic).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

How about current Z-stands? They seem the sturdiest for 88-key large format keyboards.

Julian Colbeck (formerly of Anderson Wakeman Bruford Howe and Yes, and currently head of Keyfax New Media in Santa Cruz CA who primarily do add-on stuff for Yamaha synths), has a very good overview of keyboard stands and what works best for digital pianos, workstations, and organs, vs. smaller synths, in a year 2000 article in Electronic Musician that I had open a few minutes ago and now can no longer re-find.

Having tried a number of stands at Guitar Centre today, I am inclined to agree. But the WS-550 shares many attributes with traditional Z-stands in its flexibility and adjustments as well as sturdiness. It wasn't out when Julian did his review.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I use a QuikLok Z726L for my P200 and RD700SX rig. I can't say I'm certain about what "regulation height" is - however, I play seated and find the height to be very comfortable. The rig is sturdy - and presents a clean look on stage.

The ONLY issue I can see with it is that it doesn't collapse for travelling without some major disassembly. Fortunately, I use a full size van to move my gear and have the luxury of leaving the stand assembled during transport. It would introduce some inconvenience if I had to take it apart.

The SpaceNorman :freak:

If this is for just home use get the Yamaha stand for it, some where will have them and it will look much nicer than the ws550 or any other stage type stand. the WS550 or z726 is next best option as cp300 are heavy so need good support. If you find the ws550 a bit to high on lowest setting get it adjusted or take out the leg exstensions completely, if the ws550 is to tall on minimum setting the monolith m91 / 92 type stands will definately be to high unless you take a hack saw to it and they are not as solid feeling (they also do an extra heavy duty version of the monoliths with an extra brace bar on it for wider 88note boards. Cp300's have quite deep chassis so take this into consideration, avoid a stand that comes into the knee area if you want it low (i.e. table style stand) this is where the ws550 is good as it is as solid as the table style with good support but the legs fold diagonally outwards from the middle.

The problem with the WS-550 is that it isn't clear which extenders are appropriate for a second tier. This is one of the many reasons I backed out this morning and went with the Ultimate Apex stand instead.

I posted pics of my WS-550 two-tier setup in October. Clonk here.

The WS-550 is the base unit. You then add the WS-562 Crossbar, to which you attach the Z-727 Tier arms.

Hope this helps.

Thanks; you might have mentioned before which tier arms you used, but my feeble eyes didn't see it in the original post. I'll recheck the specs on that to see if that's the one I had eyeballed last week and had been unable to confirm was compatible.

Your picture is proof that what you used works; regardless of whether QuikLok officially supports that configuration or not.

Thanks; you might have mentioned before which tier arms you used, but my feeble eyes didn't see it in the original post. I'll recheck the specs on that to see if that's the one I had eyeballed last week and had been unable to confirm was compatible.

Not sure if I id'ed the part numbers in the earlier post. Any QuikLok dealer will be able to provide you with the appropriate part numbers, though... ;)

Your picture is proof that what you used works; regardless of whether QuikLok officially supports that configuration or not.

QuikLok absolutely supports it... look at the product description for the tier arms:

Tilt, height, depth and width adjustable second tier add-on for WS-550 stand (requires WS-562 accwssory bar).

From the WS-562 bar page:

Accessory Bar for WS-550

Allow use of either the Z-727, Z-729 or Z-730 options.

note: only one of these options can be used at a time

Pretty clear to me... ;):wave:

That is so bizarre; I just compared your links (which I hadn't opened when I responded before) to my web printouts from a week or so ago, and the product descriptions have been significantly revised! My printouts do not mention the WS-550 or the WS-562 in conjunction with the Z-727. So maybe I don't need bifocals after all :-).

The LP3 stand still shows in stock at Andy's Music Online. I purchased a P250 from them and it uses the same stand. It is a very nice stand. I have modified it a bit notching the cross support and installed a Furman M8 power station. THe price they show is 199.00 for the stand. THey are located in Alabama. Hope this helps.....

FWIW, now that I've set it up tonight, I think the Ultimate Apex stand is more suited to gigs (where most bands require the keyboardist to stand for "stage presence" reasons) than to home use, where one normally sits while playing.

The reason is quite simple: the legs prevent pedals from being placed in a usable location. When standing, however, one's feet are continuous with body position, so the pedals can be more forward.

I will eventually have four keyboards again (though that will be a ways out), so I'm thinking again of the WS550 combo or a Z-stand combo for 88-key board (initially Studiologic and maybe later a PC3X) and Hammond organ (probably XK3c, once it comes out and has been debugged with a dew updates).

Then the Apex for the CS6x and OB12 at home, with the 88-key board and CS6x being the most likely gigging keyboards. Hopefully the Apex will support the Studiologic, but it only weighs 45 lbs whereas the VX8 weighs almost 70 lbs!

I was thinking last week of getting two stands anyway, with the Apex left in its gig settings (different heights for the tiers), as that's one less thing to mess with at a gig. But now, instead of a second Apex stand, I'm thinking along the lines of those here who have gone for elbow-shaped and Z-shaped stands to avoid impeding a full pedal setup (tri-pedals and expression pedal).

Here's a new stand I just learned about today, from Konig & Meyer (who make the best mic stands). Considering how robust K&M gear usually is, this one should be very good. It is similar to the Apex stand but allows room at the base for pedals.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/KM-Spider-Pro-Keyboard-Stand?sku=450499

Thanks very much to you all for the very helpful responses. One issue - and I am not sure if anyone can help - I am based in Brasil and need to find a supplier who can deliver internationally - it seems many of these suppliers will only deliver in the US. If anyone has any suggestions it would be much appreciated. One supplier suggested I have the stand delivered to someone in the US for onward delivery but unfortunately I do not know anyone who would do this.

Thanks

James

If you continue having trouble locating resellers for stands of your choice, let me know, as I may be able to check with our latin America office and inquire what they do for the shows we produce down there. My guess would be that they rent stands rather than transport them internationally during tours. Just as most of our loudspeakers used by touring acts are sold to sound companies vs. arenas (though we sell qjuite a few permanent installations as well).

But for non-unique equipment such as Korg Tritons, mic stands, keyboard stands, etc., from what I have heard it is more common for artists to rent from sound companies and the like, so they must in turn have a local source or a good channel for ordering internationally.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived