Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Live and let live...

DonaldM

Yes, Lyle is something. Somewhere around here, I've got an lp he did in college with the North Texas State band. IIRC, he wrote all the tunes but one and did the arrs. He did an arr of Matrix on it. I've had the score to The Way Up on my desk for a year now and from time to time try to play along with the CD in spots. The thing is 254 pages of goodness. 2378 bars. I have a hard time coming up with 12.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is a better example, imo, of Pat Metheny Group using sequencers live:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7sWVm7Nfw_Q

There's no techno feel or straight rock feel - the band plays along with the "fake" horn section with the kind of time and virtuosity most of us can only dream of.

That's cool, I was at that show. I remember dark rain clouds hovering over 100,000 people all night, but not a drop fell till after the show.

Nice Video!

Love PMG live.... I never would have even guessed the horns weren't being played by Lyle live..

OT: First time I caught Pat, Lyle, Mark (and maybe Steve R.) live was April 1979 --U of Florida Lake Alice Field. PMG was the warm-up for Syprogyra -- now THAT was a mismatch.. :confused:

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

Interesting thread. All I could think of when I was reading it was: what do you do when something goes wrong on stage?

I don't know about you guys but I can't remember the last gig that I played where there wasn't a screw-up that had to be fixed, on stage and on the fly, during the gig.

I can look at the bass player, drop 2 fingers for 2 flats and we're in Bb. I can tap my head and we're back to the head. I can hold out 5 fingers and we go to the V chord. A band that's played together long enough can just look at each other and agree on what to do next.

If you're playing with focused musicians, nobody in the audience is any the wiser.

What are my live options with a sequencer when something goes wrong? On and off?

Our ability to adapt to the unexpected quickly, accurately and non-verbally is what separates organic from digital.

Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. W. C. Fields

Interesting thread. All I could think of when I was reading it was: what do you do when something goes wrong on stage?

I don't know about you guys but I can't remember the last gig that I played where there wasn't a screw-up that had to be fixed, on stage and on the fly, during the gig.

I can look at the bass player, drop 2 fingers for 2 flats and we're in Bb. I can tap my head and we're back to the head. I can hold out 5 fingers and we go to the V chord. A band that's played together long enough can just look at each other and agree on what to do next.

If you're playing with focused musicians, nobody in the audience is any the wiser.

What are my live options with a sequencer when something goes wrong? On and off?

Our ability to adapt to the unexpected quickly, accurately and non-verbally is what separates organic from digital.

Some of the answer to your question depends on what you mean by "goes wrong". An guitarist breaking a string? A stuck valve on a sax?

Even with the example you give of changing keys or chords on the fly, if things are set up properly ahead of time, there are ways to do these things on the fly with sequencers, within limits. It all depends on how well all the additional gear is prepared ahead of the performance, and what contingencies are accounted for in practice and preparation.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world...those who can read binary, and those who can't.

This is timely.

I saw Kim Mitchell (Max Webster) last night.

3 piece, keyboard backing tracks.

No hiccups, everything sounded great, but,...keyboard backing tracks!

He did mention illegal downloads, music stores shutting down etc, maybe he can't afford a keyboardist anymore.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

Yamaha Montage M7, Nord Electro 6D, Hammond XK1c, Dave Smith PolyEvolver & Rack, Moog Voyager,  Modal Cobalt 8X, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

I can look at the bass player, drop 2 fingers for 2 flats and we're in Bb. I can tap my head and we're back to the head. I can hold out 5 fingers and we go to the V chord.

If you're using tracks live, you have to have rehearsed the crap out of it. None of the mistakes you're talking about should even remotely be an issue at the level of performance needed to play with tracks well. Mariah Carey's sax player wouldn't be unsure about what the key is, or need a cue to know where the head comes back in.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Some of the answer to your question depends on what you mean by "goes wrong". An guitarist breaking a string? A stuck valve on a sax?

I mean when something goes wrong with the form of the song. The singer drops a verse and goes to the bridge early. The soloist takes an extra chorus. Someone misses the cue out and you have to go around again. Like that.

Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. W. C. Fields

One of my bandmate's favorite stories is that of her friend, a solo guitarist/vocalist. His guitar broke (I forget how or what), and so he borrowed a bass guitar from another artist sharing the bill and finished his set singing and playing bass.

Every serious performer that I know has some kind of contingency plan and has prepared alternate versions of songs.

Archived