Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

GP's March '08 List- What is the best clean tone ever? Vote!

Madaline G.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OK, while I dislike the whole BEST.....ever type of pole (nothing is the best ever IMHO ;))

May I nominate:

Mark Knopfler // Dire Straits // "Sultans of Swing"

Definitely agree with all you said GG including:

Mark Knopfler(Dire Straits) "Sultans of Swing"

It was the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the title of this thread

Rich

Was there a ruling on the clean tone to be voted? Distorted, non distorted, acoustic, electric? Coloured, non -coloured with effect pedals?

Yeah, I was wondering about that too. How clean is "clean", considering that practically nothing gets out of a studio without even a little bit of reverb and EQing.

Sorry Maddie G, a lot of weirdos show up around here, the best of which end up sticking around. That makes for interesting posting, and occasional bouts of paranoia, not all of which are unfounded. Sorry you got stuck by one.

The best clean tone ever recorded, eh? Wes Montgomery, "King of the Road" from "The Further Adventures of Jimmy Smith and Wes Montgomery" is pretty nice. Chet Atkin's solo on "Avalon" on "Chester and Lester" is also pretty sweet.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Another welcome & don't let the misunderstandings bother ya to Ms. MadG. (Seems I noticed your previously-unknown-to-me name attached to an article in GP just the other day, as a matter of fact; seems that there've been a few new-to-me names therein of late... )

Hmmmmmmnnn, clllllllllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaan-tone, eh? I keep thinking of various cleaner and cleanish examples of stellar-shining tonal pulchritude, but most that come quickly to mind are at least a little roughed-up 'n' dirty....

Iddunno, on which side of the edge (or the Edge) does SRV's "Lenny" fall? Izzn that a little too warm 'n' fuzzly around the edges to qualify here? (When I was a hard-rock/metal headbangin' kid, I used to think of his sound as very clean!) :D Same for Hendrix's "Angel", "Castles Made Of Sand", and "Little Wing"...

A lot of the guitar on Wes' The Incredible Jazz Guitar of Wes Montgomery has a bit of fraz and blat in its tone, though I'm unsure of what is from overtaxed amp 'n' speaker and what may be caused by string-against-fret buzz and even acoustic, physically overdriven guitar-top-wood distortion; probably some of all of the above in the mix... Does that qualify as "clean"?

How 'bout Michael Hedges' "Ariel Boundaries"?

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I would nominate Robbie Blunt or Jamie West-Oram

Yes! Robbie Blunt / Not sure which Robert Plant record this was on / "Big Log"

Just about any Pretenders, especially "Middle of the Road"

Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker-Fender Guitar Course-1966

Welcome little lady... :wave: I hope this doesn't turn out to be 'what song' a person likes more than critiquing the "Tone"...

But I'd have to say for pure clean tone, and a few others have put it out here.........

Mark Knopfler // Dire Straits // "Sultans of Swing"

See, the trouble is, I REALLY like the song and it's structure. But I'm doing my best to remove my own bias towards the "Tune" and concentrating on the "Tone"...

Hank Marvin// The Shadows-The Platinum Collection//" The Rise And Fall Of Flingel Bunt"

Almost any tune....Sleepwalk, Geronimo, Apache etc etc etc etc etc

The Man beat me to it!!!

There is only ONE *Master* of the Clean Tone and that is Hank Marvin!!

A lifetime of CLEAN!!!!

:)

Geoff

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

Hank Marvin// The Shadows-The Platinum Collection//" The Rise And Fall Of Flingel Bunt"

Almost any tune....Sleepwalk, Geronimo, Apache etc etc etc etc etc

The Man beat me to it!!!

Quit spendin' so much time with that babe in your avatar and you might get some input in on time... :laugh:

I immediately assumed "Sultans of Swing" would be #1 when I saw this poll. Here are my nominations. I tried to come up with a couple that didn't involve Stratocasters. :D

Dire Straits (Mark Knopfler)// Dire Straits // "Sultans of Swing"

Chris Isaak & Silvertone (James Calvin Wilsey)// Heart Shaped World //"Wicked Game"

Duane Eddy// Rebel Rouser // "Rebel Rouser"

B-52s (Ricky Wilson)// The B-52s // "Rock Lobster"

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Hard to beat Sultans Of Swing. And do acoustic tones count? Michael Hedges album Aerial Boundaries is great and I would put it up against just about anything, but it's acoustic, not electric. What are the parameters for this list??

I find these things almost inherently dumb, but I'm interested in knowing what people here think of as iconic tones so... I guess this is the only way to get to that point. ;)

I would also put up Steve Stevens clean tone in Flesh For Fantasy off Billy Idol's Rebel Yell album. Creeeeaamy!

Laurence Juber on Liquid Amber from Taylor Guitars' original Sounds Of Wood & Steel album.

This is a clean but with just a shade of edge: Kevin Gilbert's lead tone from The Toy Matinee off Toy Matinee. But if I can nominate that I have to nominate a very similar lead tone from David Gilmour for the Another Brick In The Wall, Pt.II solo.

Again... what are the parameters for the purposes of this poll to define a clean tone?

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

OK, howzabout the liquidy clean tones on various reggae records?

Chet Atkins, anyone?

Pat Metheny - certainly a signature.

George Benson - baddest cat in the universe.

And while we're there - Wes Montgomery.

LES PAUL. Man, that stuff cuts like a laser compared to what pop records sounded like in the late 40's

Have you guys read some of these posts?? "How clean is clean?" "Distorted"? "Reverb"????? C'mon, we al know hwat can be considered "clean", sure there's some subjectivity to it, but it's easy enough to figure it out.

Oh yeah, and don't forget the format:

ARTIST NAME // ALBUM (italic) // "TRACK" (in quotes)

Led Zeppelin/ "Ten Years Gone"

Alice In Chains/ "Heaven Beside You"

King Crimson/ "In The Court Of The Crimson King"

"We're here to make Coffee Metal, We will make EVERYTHING METAL, BLACKER THAN THE BLACKEST BLACK TIMES INFINITY!!!" -Nathan Explosion

Archived