Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Portable is dead, long live PACKABLE!

zephonic

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not so sure it's vapourware. It's getting a lot of serious attention on the synth lists. Already two separate people have forwarded me information on this product, and these are people who work with Buchla's gear and such and are very slow to accept new vendors until having spent some time tweaking their stuff.

I would be very surprised if it has a good keybed action though. But only time will tell. I wonder if we'll see them in stores?

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

If the idea is to go gigging with just this and a laptop, it would make sense to add firewire/USB2 audio interfacing. Saves having to carry an external one. But their site says they have weight limitations etc. so who knows.

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

I dunno.... wouldn't a few sliders have made sense?? how ya gonna fade in strings etc?

The latest info indicates that they will have virtual faders available on an iPhone like touch screen. These will be able to be switched into "drawbar" mode at the touch of a button.

I've been on their mailing list for a while, and I definitely see myself grabbing one if the keyboard itself is sufficiently nice.

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

If the idea is to go gigging with just this and a laptop, it would make sense to add firewire/USB2 audio interfacing. Saves having to carry an external one. But their site says they have weight limitations etc. so who knows.

Just curious--why audio interfacing if this is only a controller?

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

A greater concern for me is that the patch editor is Windows only - and it seems indispensable for setting up the menus. Are they really writing off all the Mac users?

bj

Hammond SK1, Casio Privia PX5-S, SpaceStation V.3, Behringer B1200D, 2-EV ZxA1s

MacBook Air, Novation ReMOTE 37SL, Logic, Pianoteq 5 Stage, Scarbee Vintage Keys

The MIDI Gizmo Museum!

Just curious--why audio interfacing if this is only a controller?

I'm talking about using this as a controller for softsynths live, which seems to be the manufacturer's prime target. In the studio a controller will do just fine. But for gigs you'd have to carry an extra audio interface for your laptop (unless you wanna use the laptop's on-board sound). It would be handy to just have the audio interface in the box, or at least as an optional extra.

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

At 2,450 it will have to be pretty nice and the action and software execution will need to be better than the average controller (I don't think CME has got all the bugs out yet).

StudioLogic's* 76-key is available for 600.00 and has the control mappings included for many popular softsynths like the Logic, Ivory and NI family (B4, Prophet-53, etc.).

Of course some don't map from their controller they do it all in software on a PC and/or Receptor.

I love the idea behind the folding keyboard but remain skeptical it will be ready for prime time when it ships. It may have enough WOW factor to justify the price.

* I apologize for using the "F" word for those that hate F!#@% action.

Archived