Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Going to Paris

Jazz+

I'm headed to Paris for a long overdue 2 week vacation. I'll be staying in the Marais district in an apartment. Any special tips beyond the usual attractions?

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bring LOTS of money. :idea:

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Ye$

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

Bring a bike, rent a bike, or buy an inexpensive bike once you arrive. My wife and I spent a week there a year ago or so and we did it all by bike. You see a lot more and never have to worry about parking. Also, buy a good street map or bring along a hand held GPS, it's easy to get lost though the rather large landmarks can help you.

The travel books tell not not to bike in Paris but there are bus lanes all over and you can share the lanes with the bus. I am planning to go back within a year or so and see even more than we did the last time.

My advice regarding eating out, go to the neighborhood cafés and eat with the locals.

A quick story - I needed a bike tool to make an adjustment on one of our bikes. We asked where a bike store was and was given the name and general location. The name sounded like ... goo spore. That made no sense to us until we found the rather large store - Go Sport. We still laugh about that.

We just came back today from two days in Lille (France) and two days in Gent (Belgium) - all done by bike. Have a great trip and remember, the French are just like everyone else - they love Americans and everything American, they just don't like the folks in charge.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Quote by Dave Horne:

"they love Americans and everything American, they just don't like the folks in charge."

Neither do I. :sick:

My sister went to Paris a number of times a number of years ago. What she told me was the French don't like loud, pushy Americans. You know, like me. If you make an attempt at speaking French, they will try to help you along. If you don't know any French, I hope you are going to be traveling with someone that does. Bring lots of money. :D

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

The Marais district is very nice.

Some of the best ice cream in the world: Berthillon. It's on Ile Saint Louis. Last time there, I had armagnac and prune ice cream. It's like rum raisin on steroids, but granted that it's not for everyone. Remembering an ice cream many years later speaks of how good it is. http://www.berthillon.fr/index.php

Try the Picasso Museum. You start on the ground floor and work your way up the mansion progressing chronologically through his life and work. It's a great small museum. http://www.musee-picasso.fr/

Take the train to the Champagne region. Reims is about 90 min., Epernay is closer to Paris. The trains leave from the Gare d'Est. Many years ago, we went to Reims, took a tour of Veuve Cliquot, had lunch at the 3-star restaurant Boyer Les Crayeres, visited the famed cathedral, and brought back a case of potables. If you go to Epernay, I've heard the Moet & Chandon property is very tourist friendly.

Bon voyage.

I'm not the brightest crayon in the box

Everyone says I'm dumber than a bag of rocks

I barely even know how to put on my own pants

But I'm a genius in France, genius in France, genius in France

I may not be the sharpest hunk of cheese

I got a negative number on my SATs

I'm not good looking and I don't know how to dance

But nevertheless and in spite of the evidence I am still widely considered to be

A genius in France, genius in France, genius in France

People say I'm a geek, a moronic little freak

An annoying pipsqueak with an unfortunate physique

If I was any dumber, they'd have to water me twice a week

But when the Mademoiselles see me, they all swoon and shriek

They dig my mystique, they think I'm c'est magnifique

When I'm in Par-ee, I'm the chic-est of the chic

They love my body odor and my bad toupee

They love my stripey shirt and my stupid beret

And when I'm sipping on a Perrier

In some cafe down in St. Tropez

It's hard to keep the fans at bay

They say, "Sign my poodle, s'il vous plait"

"Sign my poodle, s'il vous plait"

Poodle... poodle...

Folks in my hometown think I'm a fool

Got too much chlorine in my gene pool

A few peas short of a casserole

A few buttons missing on my remote control

A few fries short of a happy meal

I couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel

Instructions on the heel

Instructions on the heel

But when I'm in Provence, I get free croissants

Yeah, I am the guy every French lady wants

And if you ask 'em why, you're bound to get this response

(He's a genius in France! Genius in France!)

That's right

(He's a genius in France, genius in France)

You know it

(He's a genius in France, genius in France, genius in France)

I'm not the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree

But the folks in France, they don't seem to agree

They say, "Bonjour, Monsieur would you take ze picture with me?"

I say, "Wie, Wie"

That's right, I say, "Wie, Wie"

"Wie, Wie"

He says, "Wie, Wie"

I'm dumber than a box of hair

But those Frenchies don't seem to care

Don't know why, mon frere

But they love me there

I'm a genius in France

I'm a genius in France

Gonna make a big splash when I show up in Cannes

Gonna make those Frenchies scream

"You ze man! You ze man! You ze man!"

Like a fine Renoir, I've got that je ne sais quoi

Like a fine Renoir (ooh la la), I've got that je ne sais ...

Quoi quoi quoi quoi quoi, oo-we-oo

Quoi quoi quoi quoi quoi, oo-we-oo

I'm a taco short of a combo plate

But by some twist of fate, all the Frogs think I'm great

Oh, the men all faint and the women scream

They like me more than heavy cream

When I'm in Versailles, I'm a popular guy

My oh my, I'm as French as apple pie

They think I'm awful witty, a riot and a half

When I tell a stupid joke, they laugh....

and laugh....

People in France have lots of attitude

They're snotty and rude, they like disgusting food

But when they see me, they just come unglued

They think that I am one happening dude

I'm about as sharp as a bowling ball

But they like me better than Charles DeGaulle

Entre nous, it's very true

The room temperature's higher than my IQ

But they love me more than Gerard Depardieu

How did this happen; I don't have a clue

Well, I'm not the quickest tractor on the farm

I don't have any skills or grace or charm

And most people look at me like I'm all covered with ants

But I'm a genius in France, genius in France, genius in France

And I'm never goin' back, I'm never goin' back

I'm never never never never goin' back home again

I'm tearin' up my return flight ticket

Gonna tell the folks back home where they can stick it

'Cause I'm never goin' back

I'm never goin' back

I'm never goin' back

The girls back home never gave me a chance

But I sho' 'nuff got them Frogs in some kinda trance

And I'm aware that it's a most improbable circumstance

But "Great Googily Moogily", I'm a genius in France

Every Frenchie that I meet

Just can't wait to kiss my feet

Get in line, pucker up! Tout Suite!

I'm gettin' even more famous by the hour

I'm stuffed with pastries and drunk with power

Now they're puttin' up my statue by the Eiffel Tower

A little more to the left, boys, a little more to the left

A little more to the left, boys, a little more to the left

I'm the biggest dork there is alive

My mom picked out my clothes for me 'till I was 35

And I forgot to mention

I'm not even welcome at the Star Trek convention

But the Frenchies think

That my poop don't stink

I'm a genius in France

Say, would you pass the Grey Poupon?

Merci beaucoup

:D

... and, of course, don't forget the Louvre (or -as Magic Johnson once said- the "Louge" :eek: )
Korg PA3X Pro 76 and Kronos 61, Roland G-70, Integra 7 and BK7-m, Casio PX-5S, Fender Stratocaster with Fralin pickups, Fender Stratocaster with Kinman pickups, 1965 Gibson SG Standard

A picture is worth a thousand words...

http://home.wangjianshuo.com/archives/2003/12/12/paris-pyramid-lourve.jpg

Korg PA3X Pro 76 and Kronos 61, Roland G-70, Integra 7 and BK7-m, Casio PX-5S, Fender Stratocaster with Fralin pickups, Fender Stratocaster with Kinman pickups, 1965 Gibson SG Standard

Bring LOTS of money. :idea:

Mike T.

Yea, the US$ is at record lows ... I wonder why.

Don't try and convert everything to US dollars, just think in Euros. (It's painful to think what things cost in Europe when you compare them US prices.)

The only slightly tricky thing in the difference between the one and two Euro piece. The coins are very similar but the two Euro piece is larger. I still have to check every once in a while when I receive change from a purchase.

We switched over in 2002 to the Euro and it took me a while for this currency to become second nature. It'll look like funny money.

When you get back home you'll appreciate the cheap price of energy as well as the cheap price of electronic goods.

I hope the weather is great for you ... and report back with jpg's.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

We spent a week in Paris a couple years ago, had a good time but it was a tad expensive

Maybe we were just uninformed tourists, but we had a hard time finding any jazz clubs that charged less than about 30 euros just to walk through the door. There were about a dozen accordion jazz groups there at the time, seemed to be performing in just about every club.

Lots of solo jazz pianists though playing at coffee shops and restaurants, and you can easily sit in. Great audiences, unbelievable actually if you're used to playing most places in the U.S.

... the French don't like loud, pushy Americans ...

They don't like loud, pushy anybody - which, of course, is true for most people around the world. :)

What I did warm to about the French is their general behaviour with and around wine. They are really comfortable with it as a natural part of their meals. There's no question of over-indulging or getting six for the road before 'last orders'. Nice.

So, Griffinator, I'm guessing you ... travel a great deal?

Pick up a copy of "Pariscope" at any newstand. (40 euro centimes)

Weekly listings for théâtre, musique, cinéma, restaurants, ect.....

Did I mention the umbrella? ;)

Hold on to your Metro ticket until you leave the subway.

Taxis charge extra for any baggage in the trunk. C'est normal.

Tips are not expected. You don't have to tip your waiter, barman, taxi driver, ect... If you feel that someone deserves a tip and you want to part ways with your money, then OK. No one works for tips - no one is expecting a tip.

Watch your step.

Enjoy - bon voyage

they love Americans and everything American,

don't be so sure about that anymore...

Some Americans seem to think that being American is going to make you popular. This is a bizarre phenomenon. Who's seen the intro to "Team America" where they "spread democracy" whilst burning down the eiffel tower! f*%! yeah!

They don't like American politics in particular, France, being a country of revolutionaries has always been America's greatest critic in Europe.

They also dislike the stereo-typical loud obnoxious american tourist, but that not just France....

Also, they dont like it in Paris AT ALL when you try to speak French and aren't fluent!! Which is mean, but there ya go, zea orr freeanch, zer babeeez smoke gitanes..

We are all slave's to our brain chemistry!

Mike:

Interesting. My sister told me that when she went to Paris that the French "expected" tourists to try to speak some French. She told me that if you took a stab at it, they would try to help you along and communicate with you. If you walked around just speaking English to everyone, most people would ignore you. But its been awhile since she was in Europe.

As far as Americans not being very popular in France, same holds true for the French in a lot of places in America. One of my uncles that served in France in WWII said he wished we had "Left France for the Nazis". Ouch! I chalked it up to him never getting a pretty french woman to pass the time while he was there, while his buddies did. Can't please everyone.

Mike T.

Parisians are renowned for just answering back in English or pretending to not understand you if you speak pigeon french, maybe thats why your uncle dislikes 'em! Yes, there was certainly some animosity between the US and France. In England they give the French a hard time for "letting the Germans in so easy" in WW2.. Who knows eh? One things for sure, good manners always help and there are idiots in every country, we gotta just try to avoid electing them!

We are all slave's to our brain chemistry!

Quote by Mikecorbett:

"One things for sure, good manners always help and there are idiots in every country, we gotta just try to avoid electing them".

Amen to that. So far we're hadn't a lot of good choices. American elections are usually electing one person that is slightly less of an idiot than the other party's candidate.

Mike T.

Ah, le Marais. I lived there for a few months in 1994, on rue de Birague, before moving to the Quartier Latin. I'm from Paris originally but have spent most of my life in the US.

In the Marais, the Picasso museum is very good. The adjacent Place des Vosges is nice. If you are homesick for American groceries go to "Thanksgiving" store and Cajun restaurant (20, rue Saint Paul).

For the metro & bus, get yourself a weekly pass (formerly "Carte Orange", now being replaced by "Navigo"). Cheaper and less hassle than the paper tickets.

Outside of the Marais, and beyond the usual attractions, consider the Jardin du Luxembourg. Nearby is the Pantheon; you can get a great view from its dome with much less hassle than the Eiffel Tower or Notre Dame. Next to the Pantheon is the St Etienne du Mont church.

Climb the steps of Montmartre and go up to the Basilique du Sacré-Coeur (probably already on the list of "usual" sights)

For another little-known view, the Institut du Monde Arabe has a panoramic restaurant (however, the web site says closed for renovation call 01 40 51 38 38 for updates).

You can take a leisurely ride on a barge on the Canal de l'Ourcq (upstream of Notre Dame). The ride ends (or begins) at the Parc de la Villette, which has a science museum and other attractions.

The Parc des Buttes-Chaumont is pleasant and is (or was) about the only park in Paris at which you could walk on the grass.

Movies in English will be indicated as "V.O." (version originale) in the Pariscope or Officiel des Spectacles weekly entertainment mini-magazines. ("V.F." is version française.) The "séance" time is when the ads start. The "film" time is when the movie starts. Get there for the séance for best seating.

There's an exposition of Gustave Courbet at the Grand Palais that I would certainly attend if I were there now.

Jazz clubs are overpriced, IMHO. Don't go to Paris for music unless you have a local guide; go there for sights, food, wine, etc.

Very important: keep your hand on your stuff at all times. Do not set your bag down in the train station "just for a second," especially the one with your money and passport. Don't leave your laptop on the café table while you use the bathroom (like I've seen people do at Starbucks in the US). In Paris you won't get held up by a mugger, but someone may steal your stuff if you don't watch it.

Yamaha P2 acoustic, Yamaha P120 digital, Nord Electro 3HP, QSC K10.

FOR SALE: Nord Electro 2-61.

Archived