Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The sadness of an unused instrument

stepay

Buddy of mine has a girlfriend who inherited a Rhodes Mark I Stage Piano (73 keys).

The family member she got it from never played it. This girlfriend of my friend doesn't play it. It is pretty much in mint condition and sits in the corner of her apartment unused. She refuses to sell it.

Sad thing.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Buddy of mine has a girlfriend who inherited a Rhodes Mark I Stage Piano (73 keys).

The family member she got it from never played it. This girlfriend of my friend doesn't play it. It is pretty much in mint condition and sits in the corner of her apartment unused. She refuses to sell it.

Sad thing.

...kind of like the people who buy an antique grand because it looks nice in their giant great room (even though no one living there can play). ;)

"Oh yeah, I've got two hands here." (Viv Savage)

"Mr. Blu... Mr. Blutarsky: Zero POINT zero." (Dean Vernon Wormer)

...kind of like the people who buy an antique grand because it looks nice in their giant great room (even though no one living there can play). ;)

Yep, nothing like seeing a beautiful (out-of-tune) grand sitting in a living room covered with some lacy tablecloth-looking thing and lots of framed pictures of grandma, grandpa, the kids, and the family dog.

Noah

P.S. I do find it odd, though, that in the case of the girl in Stepay's message, it's a Rhodes. I mean, even though it's nuts to me, lots of people have unplayed pianos in their houses because they do make nice-looking pieces of furniture. But an unplayed Rhodes? That just seems strange.

When I started playing piano, I remember how hard it was to convince my parents to put a Rhodes in the living room instead of some nicer looking, walnut or cherry finished French Provincial spinet. I still have the Rhodes, can't say what would have become of a spinet.

I do find it odd, though, that in the case of the girl in Stepay's message, it's a Rhodes. I mean, even though it's nuts to me, lots of people have unplayed pianos in their houses because they do make nice-looking pieces of furniture. But an unplayed Rhodes? That just seems strange.

What a stupid response, Noah. Obviously, you haven't seen their living room furniture. The Rhodes was bought to match the Tolex & chrome sofa, love seat and chair. Some say it's very chic, others think it's very Chick.

Archived