Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tell of Two Bands...

beatnix

I am currently in two regularly gigging bands at the moment. The first time I have been in that situation. One is a rock/ top 40 band, the other one is a Smooth Jazz/ R&B band.

I have been with the rock band for over 5 years, good pay, good venues, and easy work as far as rehearsals. This band is sometimes dated in its sound and can be boring as the song are not major keyboard songs.

The smooth jazz band I joined at the beginning of this year. The rock band calendar slowed a lot (One gig in 6 months) and I wanted to do something different. They play some fun songs, fun musicians to play with and my ideas are well received. The down side is it is work for me to make weekly rehearsals, gig pay is low and I do not like working with another keyboardist(The sax plays keys on 80% of our songs. He was not in the band when I joined, but is a founding member that came back a few months ago.)

I am starting to get conflicts with the two bands, one band being mad if I have a gig booked with the other band (I am NOT double booking gigs) I have been clear about my gig schedule with both bands, but each feels that I should keep my calender free for them. I feel like I am dating two people. :freak:

Is it possible to play in two bands harmoniously? Does anyone do it currently?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I play in two bands.

And now when the exams are done (I'm in university) I'm reviving my third project - and manage to write songs for all of these.

My drummer plays in something like 5 (or more) original bands, and also does weddings. He even manages to tour abroad and also sit in for some major foreign acts (actually happened oly once or twice).

A month or so ago I did a gig with both of my bands same night (one set after the other with only 10 minutes brake to drink and change). I also produced the whole show (booking venue, equipment, lights, video shoot, warm-up act, props, dealing with all the money stuff..). Damn, would never do it again!

Stage: MOX6, V-machine, and Roland AX7

Rolls PM351 for IEMs.

Home/recording: Roland FP4, a few guitars

It's definitely possible -- I'm in three bands at the moment, and I do the odd sub/fill-in with two or three others.

But, in all of these bands everyone knows that I'm in multiple bands, of most of the members are also in multiple bands. (With various overlapping as well :) ). If the members and/or leaders of your bands expect you to be in only their band, then you're going to have a problem.

For me, a band leader expecting me to keep my calendar open for him is not realistic unless he's going to keep me as busy as I want to be, and play material that's as varied as I want to play. I haven't found that situation yet, and I doubt if I will.

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

I play in two bands and I'm starting up a duo/Duet project. I have a primary band that has priority and the secondary band I have three players that can fill in for me if I am double booked. I also will be playing double shows on some dates. Like next Saturday I am doing a festival from 5:30 pm till 7:30 pm. I pack up and drive an hour set up and play with my second band from 10 pm-1:30 am.

The duo project will be a week night only gig which should help fill my calendar for next year.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

I'm in three bands now and I also sub in another four. The way to make this work is to have a network of other keyboard players to fill all of the available work.

We all have our priority bands and then our secondary bands (usually former bands where quitting wasn't quite as permanent as you thought at the time.) We also all have our first-call subs for each band that know most of the songs or whose style and personality fit best. We help each other out.

Today, I have observed that there are two types of players: devoted band guys who only want to be in one band at a time and freelancers (band whores) who like to play as much as possible.

My name is Blue JC and I'm a band whore.

Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. W. C. Fields

I've been in multiple bands on a few occasions. While it was nice to have the variety, it became difficult to deal with the posessiveness of the bands. Each one expected me to hold them above all others, and if there was a conflict, regardless of which gig I played, the other was pissed off. It was almost as bad as trying to juggle two women and keep them from knowing about the other.

Now I stick with one, and an occasional freelance gig.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

My name is Blue JC and I'm a band whore.

Sums up my life. :) I don't talk with folks who want me in the band, I only talk with folks who want me on the gig.

I guess there are two bands I play with often enough where one might actually think I'm in the band. One delightfully busy week in July it was six bands.

The way to make this work is to have a network of other keyboard players to fill all of the available work. ... We help each other out.

:thu: A lot of my gigs are referrals from other keyboard players. About two thirds of July. I live large off the fact that other folks play real well, work hard at staying busy, and are in demand. Other keyboard players are not competition, they're your most valuable allies.

I avoid folks who talk about dedication, commitment, auditions, and rehearsals. They're on the other side of the reality divide. Folks who gig a lot talk about dates, locations, show time, load in, and compensation. They have their stuff on CD, in a book, or both.

A guy with one gig in six months who expects you to rehearse until the cows come home and keep your calendar open in case he ever gets a gig has no cows or gigs. He is delusional. Be kind to him, but don't let anybody interfere with you playing as much as you want, with whomever you choose, and on your own terms.

It was almost as bad as trying to juggle two women and keep them from knowing about the other.

It's a lot more fun if they know each other and like each other. :)

--wmp

Archived