Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

FP-7 vs CP-300

speedlever

I've recently begun lurking here and have a question:

For home use, would the Roland FP-7 with KRK Rokit 6's (~$1800-1900) make a better home practice instrument than the Yamaha CP-300 (~$2200)? I'm looking for the best bang for the buck (touch and sound vs cost). Console models don't impress me from a value perspective unless I just want a furniture look... which is not important. Another option might be the Kawai MP8 with KRK Rokit 6's for about $2300 plus stand. I haven't tried the MP8 yet.

I compared the FP-7 and CP-300 using built-in speakers in a store. I was not impressed with the sound of the FP-7. I warmed up to the CP-300, but wonder for the same money (more or less), if the FP-7 with the KRK Rokit 6 would be a better home practice instrument? I thought the keyboards felt close in action.

For aesthetic purposes, I'd like to keep the clutter to a minimum... thus I prefer built-in speakers. But if the sound improvement is worth it, the powered speakers might be the best way to go for my modest purposes.

Any suggestions for speaker stands if the FP-7 becomes my choice? The FP7c (includes stand) costs about $1400-1500. KRK Rokit 6's are ~$400/pr. If the CP-300 ($2200) or MP8 ($1900), I'm thinking QL WS550 or 540 for a stand, depending on what's available. Those are the best prices (including shipping) I've found.

Thanks for any thoughts you care to share.

For background, I took 4 years of piano lessons years ago and haven't played for too long. I have two kids ages 8 and 9 who will begin lessons soon. This is mainly for them but also a little bit for me. ;)

--speedy

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I have a CP300 - very nice box!

I also thought the FP-7 was a nice package also. I got the 300 before Roland came out w/ the FP-7! Still no regrets really!

I have no allegience to specific MFG's in a big way but I feel the current FP series upp-ed the Roland DP ante for the better! I basically have been a Yamaha DP player for the past 6-7 years and have had good luck with them playing 'live'!

One thing to think about maybe!

With all those rhythms, songs and accompaniment in the FP-7, those are great features. You may feel they are good for your children (and you), or you may not. If purely musical concerns are paramount in regards to the kids, you may not want them.

If fun/ music learning and versatility is important, you may in fact very much want them.

Just alittle side issue you may want to consider beside some of the other issues!

lb

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

lb,

Thanks for your thoughts. I've had a very difficult time finding these units to evaluate and have spent hours reading through various forums trying to glean all the info that The Pro appears to think is out there. I still haven't been able to locate an FP-4 to evaluate.

It may be that the FP-7 would be the wiser choice in my application. I'm ok with spending what I need to accomplish the task (bought too many cheap tools in the past only to return and buy what I should have bought in the first place... spending more in the process).

Is the MP5 too new for any info to be available? My closest SA wants me to put a deposit down just to get one in to evaluate.

--speedy

lb,

Is the MP5 too new for any info to be available? My closest SA wants me to put a deposit down just to get one in to evaluate.

If you are going to buy from that store anyway and they aren't asking you to commit to the MP5 specifically, it sounds like a good deal.

In case you don't already know about it http://www.purgatorycreek.com/ has samples of many digital pianos (not the the more recent models, unfortunately).

One thing to keep in mind: If you have a decent computer near the piano and you can always upgrade the sound by using one of the software pianos available now.

DigitalFakeBook Free chord/lyric display software for windows.

lb,

Thanks for your thoughts. I've had a very difficult time finding these units to evaluate and have spent hours reading through various forums trying to glean all the info that The Pro appears to think is out there. I still haven't been able to locate an FP-4 to evaluate.

Actually the pro is right. A quick search turned up several large threads with a plethora of information. It would be well worth your while to explore these threads for the information they contain.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

speedlever.

Silver Dragon is right there is alot of banter about the comparison on the CP300/FP7/FP4.... just search back in the history with the search engine. There is as I recall a 'mother load' thread in regards to that specific argument.

I'm not up on the MP pianos, I had a MP9000 many moons ago!

good luck, you really can't go wrong with either instrument (CP300 or the FP7 or the fP4) for home use and fun, and for gigging in most instances as a matter of fact depending on the type of gig!

lb

lb,

It may be that the FP-7 would be the wiser choice in my application. I'm ok with spending what I need to accomplish the task (bought too many cheap tools in the past only to return and buy what I should have bought in the first place... spending more in the process).

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

more $0.02.....

LB is right on the money....the rhythm accompaniment would be an invaluable learning tool on the Rolands. Pro players even take advantage of it....check out an earlier thread w/ one of the many great jazz players we have on the forum. Piano4u posted some excellent youtube examples w/ the FP4. You can see how he uses this feature in jazz improvisation.

I second LB's thought that you can't go wrong w/ either the CP300/FP7 or 4. I do prefer the FP7's action to that of the 4, but again that's personal taste. My next keyboard purchase will probably be the FP7, but I can see myself down the road owning the CP300 as well. I like the sound and feel of the Yamaha. I just don't want to have to move it around on a regular basis.

I would definitely pop for the powered/active studio monitors if possible. That will add an extra bit of warmth and realism to the sound. We're taking something electronic and trying to make it as warm/lush sounding as possible, like a good acoustic piano. Good monitors can really help.

Speaking of...hopefully this does.

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

https://www.youtube.com/@daveferris2709

2005 NY Steinway D

Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, CP88, P515

That will add an extra bit of warmth and realism to the sound. We're taking something electronic and trying to make it as warm/lush sounding as possible, like a good acoustic piano. Good monitors can really help.

Actually, good monitors should do no such thing... they should accurately reproduce the sound being passed to them, without adding anything. ;)

(emphasis is mine)

I have a pair of the DynAudio BM15a's. I spend sometimes up to 2 hrs. a day singing and occasionally playing my P120 through.

They add detail and warmth to the voice that I can never hear out of regular PA speakers. The same w/ the DP. I much prefer to hear the sound through the monitors as opposed to the internal spkrs. on the P120.

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

https://www.youtube.com/@daveferris2709

2005 NY Steinway D

Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, CP88, P515

Many thanks for all the responses. Believe it or not, I've searched and googled and read all I can find.

I have not seen the question I posed addressed anywhere. Will a Roland FP-7 with KRK 6s or Behringer Truth 2031As make a better practice/home piano than the straight CP-300? Would the MP5 and either of the powered speakers be a better choice for my modest needs? Maybe the answer is too personal for a general answer to suffice.

However, I would think that with the knowledge found here, you would be able to offer guidance if a particular instrument is more or less suitable for a home/learning environment.

The one time I tried the FP-7, I did not have my headphones and the onboard speakers were unimpressive. I'll give it another look at my earliest convenience.

LB hinted above that the FP-7 may have some features that better enhance the fun/music learning aspect that the CP-300 doesn't have. If so, my one brief exposure to both instruments did not bring out that aspect nor has that stood out to me in any thread I've read.

This discussion has been helpful to me and I thank all who have provided input.

--speedy

Just buy the CP300. Otherwise you'll have 3 powercables needing to be plugged instead of one, and two more audio cables dangling in addition to the speaker stands for your monitors, not to mention reaching around the back of the speakers to turn it on as well as the keyboard everytime you just wanna suddenly play.

So there.

Raul

Just buy the CP300. Otherwise you'll have 3 powercables needing to be plugged instead of one, and two more audio cables dangling in addition to the speaker stands for your monitors, not to mention reaching around the back of the speakers to turn it on as well as the keyboard everytime you just wanna suddenly play.

So there.

+1 with a cheer...

speedlever,speedlever, (speedlever!),

I was talking about the 'songs' and intelligent accompaniment pretty much in the FP-7. The CP300 doesn't have those implemented, just a useful sequencer that I have used for my home recordings and is pretty good in a pinch and then some! If you watch PIANO4U's 'more than excellent' YouTube videos i really think you would have to put that under the category of serious 'fun'. Those functions are NOT in the CP300. They are there to a lesser degree though in the FP-4 but as you can see, they are pretty exciting anyway! I consider that, more musical 'performance/fun' learning rather than a conventional 'piano' lesson on an acoustic which the CP300 will offer more of. I think the CP300 is possibly the better 'piano' of the two but even then it's a close call. BOTH instruments have their advantages and disadvantages for kids I think - depends on the kid and the parents, being a part time piano teacher for some years now! That's all I was trying to communicate!

As far as I'm concerned all the mfg's and the upper management corporate scum-class can take a flying leap into a pile of elephant shit. I have no particular allegiance to any of them or their products of freakin logos or teeshits. As long as they afford me gear that works for me as a musician, not as a freakin 'bean counting asshole' upper level cogbolt. The way a musician wakes up in the morning and starts his day is very a different thing than the way a high level grand pupa-exec shithe@d wakes up and they better realize it and give me what i want and can use if there gonna get my money, and even then i may use them and throw them out of my car after going parking with them drunk or not, and they better realize that fact. I'll use them and lose them faster than a beeffart!

The Yamahas just worked for me on stage against obnoxiously loud guitar's and guitarists with obnoxiously loud egos plying their wares for sometimes (mostly) obnoxiously 'stupid' audiences! Not to be too negative mind you! The Roland piano sound and performance i feel is much improved with the new FP's.

All the little attributes and facts in these instrument discussion and threads are many times astute observations by the people on this forum who really are in alot of ways the creme-de-la creme' of the modern keyboard playing contigent of the world. But your gonna like what you like and that's what matters really!

(I'm just kidding with this rant (though it does feel good DAMN!), just get what you want man! Make your kids happy and yourself that's all that matters, this really ain't rocket science but I understand you want to get something really good!)

LB hinted above that the FP-7 may have some features that better enhance the fun/music learning aspect that the CP-300 doesn't have. If so, my one brief exposure to both instruments did not bring out that aspect nor has that stood out to me in any thread I've read.

lb

sl,

No problema! sorry, I had to dispel the rant, this place needed some livening up! It's been alittle dull lately! Didn't mean to use your valid request for info that way.....! Don't want to make a bad impression if i did, most people on this forum are really helpful, informative, civil and great/cool people. I was just in a mood about big business today selfishly!

Welcome to the forum Speedlever!

Tony(LB)

Thanks. Hey... rants occur. No worries.

My first exposure to this forum was by following a link to a lengthy discussion of the FP-7 and CP-300. Looks like a lot of good info here.

It's been frustrating to have my main exposure to the keyboards of interest via internet. Although I'm in a fairly populous area, it doesn't seem to attract the gear I'm interested in. In my area I mainly see the Casios and YDP Yammies. None of the gear I'm considering is local.

I first started out with an interest in console models. But as I gained more exposure to the gear, the stage pianos seem to provide better value for my purposes.

I'm sort of up against a deadline which is fast approaching. So I'm scrounging for any info that will help me finalize my choice.

--speedy

The FP4, FP7, and RD-700SX piano samples have a richer harmonic content. Their piano samples have captured a wider spectrum of harmonics in their waveforms, this can be recognized by observing the waveforms with a scope and by just listening. These piano samples contain a wider spectrum of overtones and additional overtones which are not harmonics of the fundamental. Furthermore, Roland samples every single note at four dynamic levels. Yamaha samples a single note at three levels and then transposes the same sample across neighboring keys. That technique results in a monotonous timber without individual note character. Roland's piano samples also avoid the exaggerated hammer attack present in the Yamaha piano samples.

Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 850 of Harry's solo piano arrangements of standards and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas 

Jazz+ has copied his hymn to the Roland FP's so often now that most of us know it by heart. He ALWAYS neglects to mention that Roland samples several different brands of pianos which results in an inconsistent tone, as has been pointed out by several disgruntled Roland "Franken-Piano" owners. Roland digital pianos emulate an instrument that doesn't really exist and you can tell it when you play it... with Kawai and Yamaha digitals at least you know exactly where the samples came from and the tones don't suddenly change as dramatically between notes. Some of us feel more confident in digital pianos that come from actual piano manufacturers.

No Yamaha digital pianos have reported the "clacking key" grease problem that plagues the Roland FP's. Search this forum for Jazz+'s very nice pictorial on how to disassemble your FP piano and fix this problem if you buy one.

I'm glad to find some information even if the thread gets a bit noisy. While I don't know the forum dynamics as to why a couple here have a bit of a skirmish going, I appreciate the point of view of both Jazz+ and The Pro.

If I were to rephrase the OP as below, would that change any replies?

-- If your best friend came to you and asked what you would recommend for a home/practice instrument for two beginning child students and an adult who might be considered an advanced beginner (meaning more knowledge than skills) with a budget of ~$2000+, what would you suggest?--

Perhaps the morale will improve if the beatings continue..

--speedy

-- If your best friend came to you and asked what you would recommend for a home/practice instrument for two beginning child students and an adult who might be considered an advanced beginner (meaning more knowledge than skills) with a budget of ~$2000+, what would you suggest?--

I'd say (1) something with built-in speakers, to simplify the process for the kids to practice on their own, and (2) whatever sounds nicer to your own ears. No matter what a bunch of forum posters have to say about the various merits of Brand A vs. Brand B, it's your ears that are going to be subjected to the sound emanating from the instrument. Pick whatever sounds good to you.

Oh, and one more thing... why not rent a unit for a month before you firmly commit to anything? If your retailer won't rent, ensure that they have a 30-day return policy (if they don't, suggest that the online retailers do, and that security blanket is important for you to make the decision to spend such a substantial amount of money (ensure your children are nearby and are sufficiently waif-like, with big doe eyes... gets'em every time ;) ) ).

Perhaps the morale will improve if the beatings continue..

Oh, I sure hope not... things are just starting to get interesting. :cool:

:snax:

To reiterate what I posted before, for beginning students such as your children, you simply can't go wrong with either of these. These are the same keyboards that professionals clamor for to use on live gigs. So you should check them out if possible and make your own decision.

To my ears as a pianist, I prefer the FP's. But the decision is no one's but your's.

I think either one of those would be fine - they're both good. I probably prefer the Yamaha, but really, they're both fine. I also suggest you rent one or both if possible for a month or two - money well spent.

Also consider an acoustic piano, you could get a used upright for that kind of money, or perhaps only slightly more.

Sven/Floyd... the renting idea is an excellent thought. Never considered that. Wonder if the GC/SA type stores do that?

Floyd, as nice as acoustics can be, I am not gonna move any more acoustics or tune them either if I can help it. Now if I can afford a decent grand one day, that's another story.

I'm considering putting the DP in my bonus room which, from an acoustic perspective, is up an impossible flight of stairs and turns.

Reviewing the thread, I may have missed replying to several posters... my apologies.

Mike .. I was aware of the purgatory creek link.. it would be nice if they updated the samples. Also, I don't plan to put a computer near the piano at this time (but hey, things change). I'm sure that software pianos can only get better. (and they're pretty darn good from what I've read... never heard one live that I know of)

Dave... the rhythm accompaniment is hard for me to evaluate as to it being an invaluable learning tool on the Rolands. Anything that would help keep the kids interest has to be a good thing.

SilverDragon.. I have tried to be diligent about my search for info. The mother lode link someone referred to earlier was my initial intro to this forum.

Dave/Sven/SK.. I'm probably pickier than I need to be about the sound. That was what initially turned me off about external speakers. I'd heard some that just sounded electronic and tinny and assumed they were all variations of that. Big mistake on my part.

Sergievsky.. my wife finally figured out that she doesn't have to cut on all the HT gear to watch a DVD in my absence. I'm guessing the kids won't have any problem switching either the FP-7 or the CP-300 on whether or not powered speakers are connected, unless I were to buy something like the MP5/8 or CP33, etc. And if they use headphones, it won't matter anyhow.

Speaking of sound, do any of you own console models? Do you know if they are optimized for sound (I'm thinking of the dynamics of speaker cabinet design). I've heard that console models are designed for optimized sound and am curious. Still, unless I need a piece of furniture, I don't sense the value is there for my purposes.

You folks have been most helpful. I appreciate all the information.

--speedy

Archived