Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

So...anybody got an iPhone yet?

Dave Bryce

I am so tempted to get one after I pay my car off in September.

I have to take care of my needs before I get what I want, so with that is mind I will buy some gear first.

MY Toys - Kurzweil PC1X, Roland A-90, Yamaha KX88, Yamaha CS1x, Novation 49SL MkII, Presonus Studiolive 16.4.2, JBL PRX615M

My Music Page

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Steadyb, is it true that yours will be arriving in less than two weeks?

;)

I'll probably upgrade later this year. I have questions about the size and shape of the thing. It looks a little bulky. Any comments from the early adopters? Do you have to keep it in a case to keep from scratching the nifty screen? If it's in the case, how easy is it to answer the phone/make calls?

One thing I may not like is the lack of tangible keys. When I'm in the car, I dial numbers without looking at the keypad. That doesn't work if you can't feel where the "7" is.

I've been a happy ATT/Cingular/NewATT customer for many years. Customer service is top notch. My son has Verizon, and their customer service suxx. The only reception complaint I had was when Cingular bought the old ATT Wireless and dismantled the old towers. Reception got worse and worse until I bought a new, Cingular-network-enabled phone.

One bonus of Verizon is that it works in the railroad tunnel under the Hudson River. That said, I want to strangle people who yack on the train, so maybe it's not really that much of an advantage.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

In today's news...

I was cruising along in the car, listening to Led Zep on the iPhone with the ear buds/mic that come with it. The song ended...and the phone died. Completely.

Took it back to the Apple store, and they replaced it. Luckily, it was pretty quick to re-fill the new unit up with my stuff...but I'm definitely a bit bummed.

They did ask me an interesting question - if I had used an iPod charger on it...which I hadn't. However, it made me ask if that was a problem, which the lady helping me said she believed it was. My response was that then maybe they shouldn't have made the jacks exactly the same, or perhaps they should have put something in the box letting people know that, since there's probably a bunch of people out there with iPhones and iPods as well.

If it had been in the instruction book that'd have been on thing...but the iPhone doesn't come with an instruction book. Maybe that wasn't the best move... ;)

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

In today's news...

I was cruising along in the car, listening to Led Zep on the iPhone with the ear buds/mic that come with it. The song ended...and the phone died. Completely.

Took it back to the Apple store, and they replaced it. Luckily, it was pretty quick to re-fill the new unit up with my stuff...but I'm definitely a bit bummed.

They did ask me an interesting question - if I had used an iPod charger on it...which I hadn't. However, it made me ask if that was a problem, which the lady helping me said she believed it was. My response was that then maybe they shouldn't have made the jacks exactly the same, or perhaps they should have put something in the box letting people know that, since there's probably a bunch of people out there with iPhones and iPods as well.

If it had been in the instruction book that'd have been on thing...but the iPhone doesn't come with an instruction book. Maybe that wasn't the best move... ;)

dB

I don't have an iPhone or know much about them, but a good friend of mine was very upset as his iPhone died as well. He had it for less than a week. He wasn't as fortunate as you as he's waiting for his replacement.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

In today's news...

Led Zep is well known as a killer band...

♫♫♫ motif XS6, RD700GX

I've tried it at a couple of apple store and tried to go to my band's myspace page. I always get a "no server found" message. For MySpace?? WTF!

My iPaq can get it fine and it's on CingTT as well.

The good thing is that AT&T is going to ramp up their broadband speed considerably, in order to make things competitive with Verizon, and to keep Apple happy.

The iPhone only works on EDGE unless you can get WiFi.

:idea:

No Quarter?

In My Time of Dying?

Communication Breakdown?

John

I guess these make for good times, bad times, what is and what should never be. No matter what, all these Zeppelin puns make me want to do the cringe. :rimshot:
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

I've tried it at a couple of apple store and tried to go to my band's myspace page. I always get a "no server found" message. For MySpace?? WTF!

My iPaq can get it fine and it's on CingTT as well.

Apple Stores have recently blocked some sites such as MySpace, because the kids were spending WAY too much time there messing with it, or so I've heard (the kids must really have been pushing it, because normally Apple Stores don't care how much you surf with their Macs).

Next time, try it on a nearby Mac and see if it works there or not. If the site works on a Mac and not on the iPhone, then you can complain. :grin:

The iPhone only works on EDGE unless you can get WiFi.

My understanding is that while your statement is true, it's slightly misleading. From what I gather, the iPhone will use EDGE when it can't get on a WiFi network. So as long as you are in range of a WiFi network, the iPhone prefers that over EDGE. If any iPhone owners can confirm this, I'd appreciate it (Dave Bryce, I'm looking in your direction... ;) ).

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

From what I gather, the iPhone will use EDGE when it can't get on a WiFi network. So as long as you are in range of a WiFi network, the iPhone prefers that over EDGE. If any iPhone owners can confirm this, I'd appreciate it (Dave Bryce, I'm looking in your direction... ;) ).

I believe that is the case, yes...at least, it appears to be with mine.

Of course, the WiFi network needs to be accessible - lots of them are password protected/pay to play...

dB

One of these days I plan on Going to California. One of these would be handy for the trip since my Blackberry sometimes leaves me Dazed and Confused. By the way, one of my Friends got one this week. She was hoping to find one in Tangerine. At least there were no reports of early customers being Trampled Under Foot during the rush to buy. How is the sound compared to the newer iPods? Is it only good for Rock and Roll or does it reproduce the nuances of classical?

Time to end this post. Sorry. I tend to Ramble On.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I think I'll put on my Kashmir sweater and head down to The Ocean.

And in less than 2 weeks, you can bring your iPhone.

...unless it dies on you... :P:D

Hey, don't get me wrong - I've got a Whole Lotta Love for the thing...but yesterday I wanted to hit it with Four Sticks. :mad:

dB

I think I'll put on my Kashmir sweater and head down to The Ocean.

And in less than 2 weeks, you can bring your iPhone.

...unless it dies on you... :P:D

Hey, don't get me wrong - I've got a Whole Lotta Love for the thing...but yesterday I wanted to hit it with Four Sticks. :mad:

dB

Send it on a Stairway to Heaven? Just wait for the day when it will be Ten Years Gone, you'll want to Boogie With Stu, Down By The Seaside. Sorry, I'd better stop or I'll just Ramble On.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Argh... How Many More Times are you guys going to hit us with the Zeppelin puns? :freak:

If it doesn't stop, I'm going to find a South Bound Suarez somewhere under the Ozone Baby, eat a Hot Dog and then run Over The Hills And Far Away. I might even bring my Black Dog with me, as well as a copy of Moby Dick to read to pass the time.

That's it... I'm Gonna Crawl over to the Houses Of The Holy because I ain't got No Quarter to make a call, and ask them to lay me Out On The Tiles, because I think I ate a rancid piece of Custard Pie.

Oh well. Good Times, Bad Times... y'know I've had my share. :cool:

:rawk:

Archived