Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Favorite Obscure Keyboard Albums

dementia13

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

UK Night after Night

Discovered this one out of high school,primarily because of Terry Bozzio but Eddie Jobson is one mean bed-slapper,live.The album is and remains one of the best engineered live shows EVER.For all of the virtuoso musicianship on display,all of the tunes remain eminently hummable and memorable.I don't know if anyone has ever coined the term "Pop Fusion",but this album certainly fits that description.

Oh yeah,it doesn't hurt the matter any that side 2 starts out with a neat little ditty called "Alaska".

Most of the stuff that is listed here seems to be big names or major label releases, so I don't know if I would consider them obscure (although many seem really cool!).

Just off the top of my head...this first one is an Italian prog-rock band called Le Orme that a lot of people here will undoubtedly enjoy. This is perhaps their most highly-regarded release (1973):

http://www.progarchives.com/progressive_rock_discography_covers/278/cover_2232118112005.jpg

If you like reggae, you'll love this next guy, Jackie Mittoo, who is absolutely essential listening if you're into reggae. He was the session keyboardist at Studio One. This is a re-release, so is not really obscure, but is nevertheless highly recommended.

http://www.dustygroove.com/images/products/m/mittoo_jack_jackiemit_101b.jpg

These qualify as obscure in my collection:

Yellow Magic Orchestra BMG - haven't heard in quite a few years, but I remember some original and tasty synth work.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a9/YMO_-_BGM_album_cover.jpg

And there's this one - a pretty rough and impromptu recording, but plenty of Nicky Hopkins playing boogie-woogie

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/df/JammingWithEdward.jpg

PC3X, PC1se, NE2 61, DSI P08, ARP Odyssey MkII 2810, ARP Little Brother, Moog Slim Phatty, Doepfer Dark Energy, Arturia MiniBrute, Microkorg, Motion Sound KP200S,

Reuben Wilson - "Boogaloo to the Beastie Boys".

Smouldering Hammond-led funk. The songs lend themselves well to jam-band style jazz arrangements. Throw in Bernie Worrell guesting on rhodes on one track. It f*****g r0XX0rz? Not really. This one smokes.

Robert Walter - "There goes the neighborhood"

Robert Walter - "Super Heavy Organ"

Robert Walter featured on Stanton Moore's recent album "III"

Jam band New Orleans funk. Walter is actually from the west coast, but he is imo the rising star of New Orlean's funk keyboards. Mainly Hammond, usually slightly overdriven, but also some tasty clav and wild ring-modded rhodes work. The occasional gospel piano track. All original material or trad covers, except Led Zeppelin's "When the levee breaks", a slow smouldering groove, on Stanton Moore's "III", recorded in New Orleans a year after cyclone Katrina rolled through. With a strong New Orlean's influence it's more sreetwise and gritty than most jam-band stuff. Solos are shorter and more to the point, and Walter writes some tasty heads to top and tail them. If you're lookin' for a successor to Art Neville (not that he's not still goin' strong) I think Robert Walter is your man.

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

Finally out on CD: Oh, Yeah? by the Jan Hammer Group. Saw them live at the Great America Music Hall in SF in 1977. Does anyone play a strap-on better than Hammer? In ways similar to what he did with Jeff Beck on Wired and There and Back Again. Hot, hot, hot!

jimtheswede, I used to have that Nicky Hopkins album. I didn't even know who Ry Cooder was back then. I wonder what happened to that album along with others that through the years past through my hands.

I had a bunch of Brian Auger albums

Oblivion Express (my favorite) gone..... :(

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

jimtheswede, I used to have that Nicky Hopkins album. I didn't even know who Ry Cooder was back then. I wonder what happened to that album along with others that through the years past through my hands.

The Stones released that on CD on their label a few years back and I picked it up. In fact, I just checked Amazon and it's there

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I have the orig. LP (I don't remember how I have it either as I didn't buy it new). I'd like to play it, but I don't have a turntable that works. :(
PC3X, PC1se, NE2 61, DSI P08, ARP Odyssey MkII 2810, ARP Little Brother, Moog Slim Phatty, Doepfer Dark Energy, Arturia MiniBrute, Microkorg, Motion Sound KP200S,

Jim,

How on earth could I miss that, yes a M3. Must have been the angle and the forshortened view. YASS the panel configurations are an M3. My first Hammond w a /145. It wailed, mine was very loud for an M3. I went to a Hammond outlet in 1970 and I said I had a M3 (1954, I think - Ebony) and a new 145 and I need a hook up box. They said hear this is it, it was so easy to install in the M3 and i got a cable with it new and everything had that Leslie smell.

But the deal was the box was a new design in regards to the interface worked with the M3 Pre-Amp (or so I was told), a new type interface box design. It was almost twice as loud as any other M3 other people were playing. Most others had their M3's set up with the older existing 122 hook-ups, most were 122 fitted. It did seem like it was alittle more than the 145/122 Leslie differences in tone and Bark by itself by quit a bit of LOUD!

My first Hammond Love! It roaded very well, but then one day after about 4 years the generator went, it was sad, I played many many gigs with it and a 16 and 17 and 18 that's exhilirating for a young guy. I got a C3/122 then! It wasn't as loud and then some as my old black M3, but it was a console!

lb :thu:

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

"Gamma 3" by Ronnie Montrose - not a pure keys album but Mitchell Froom's bountiful contributions are mighty tasty! Pure analog bliss!

I'd forgotten all about Gamma. I don't know which album it was, but I remember covering a couple of tunes with my group at the time (1982-83?). GOOD STUFF!

"Music should never be harmless."

Robbie Robertson

http://static.rateyourmusic.com/album_images/s4798.jpg

Todd Rundgren and Utopia

This album is one my faves.It came out in 1974. This version of Utopia predated Roger Powell.

It had three keyboardists onboard for the the live title cut "Utopia". Frog" Labat, Moogy Klingman, and Ralph Schuckett.

I've seen this album panned by a lot of folks ("pretentious...overblown, or unlistenable") but I've always liked it. There is some good playing on here and some of the material is quite complex in a kind of bent way.

"Music should never be harmless."

Robbie Robertson

"Gamma 3" by Ronnie Montrose - not a pure keys album but Mitchell Froom's bountiful contributions are mighty tasty! Pure analog bliss!

I'd forgotten all about Gamma. I don't know which album it was, but I remember covering a couple of tunes with my group at the time (1982-83?). GOOD STUFF!

Indeed! We used to cover "Right the First Time."

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Billy Cobham, Spectrum. The band includes Lee Sklar on bass, Tommy Bolin on guitar, and a smokin' Jan Hammer on Rhodes and synth. The drumming ain't half bad, either.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

George Duke on Eddie Henderson's "Sunburst". Basically the Mwandishi lineup with George on keys instead of Herbie and the material being more inside than the Mwandishi band. Some of the funkiest clav playing recorded. Nice rhodes work too. You can tell George was having a ball. There's also some very tasty lead synth solos.

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

Here are some of my fav obscurities

Masabumi Kikuchi - Wishes/Kochi (1976)

http://cover6.cduniverse.com/MuzeAudioArt/Large/99/721999.jpg

Very free experimental jazz funk with awesome grooves and musicians. Lots of synths/rhodes/piano.... big long tracks a big jam... What the Miles Davis band would have sounded like in 1976 as most of the musicians on the LP are from Miles' band. The track Auroral Flare is a killer. Anthony Jackson plays a mean bass.

Mtume (Conga), Terumasa Hino (Percussion), Terumasa Hino (Trumpet), Terumasa Hino (Producer), Steve Grossman (Sax (Soprano)), Steve Grossman (Sax (Tenor)), Masabumi Kikuchi (Organ), Masabumi Kikuchi (Synthesizer), Masabumi Kikuchi (Piano), Masabumi Kikuchi (Biwa), Masabumi Kikuchi (Piano (Electric)), Masabumi Kikuchi (Producer), Masabumi Kikuchi (Main Performer), Kochi (Main Performer), Kochi (Performer), Reggie Lucas (Guitar (Electric)), Al Foster (Drums), Kiyoski Itoh (Director), Anthony Jackson (Bass (Electric)), Dave Liebman (Flute), Dave Liebman (Saxophone), Dave Liebman (Sax (Soprano)),

Rainer Brüninghaus - Freigeweht (1980)

http://www.geocities.co.jp/MusicHall/1069/KWHP/1980-4/freigeweht.jpg

Awesome ECM LP. unbelievable use of piano, synths sequencers... Amazing mix of jazz improvisation, drums and technology. Kenny Wheeler kills too...

Rainer Brüninghaus piano, synthesizer

Kenny Wheeler flugelhorn

Jon Christensen drums

Brynjar Hoff oboe, English horn

Stufen

Spielraum

Radspuren

Die Flüsse hinauf

Täuschung der Luft

Freigeweht

Recorded August 1980

ECM 1187

Peter Herbolzheimer Rhythm Combination and Brass - Live Im Onkel Po - 1975

http://www.funkjazzsoul.net/r337.jpg

Ridiculously funky big band music with insidious moog solos... The Catfish is just the craziest funky big band track I've ever heard... laced with rhodes, moog and a bit of Solina...

Can't recall the personnel.. but Dieter Reith was their keyboard player and I think Herb Geller and Art Farmer were in there. Worth getting hold of... though $$$$...

I am not sure that you would call it 'obscure', but I really enjoy Keith Emerson's playing on Tarkus-Emerson, Lake, & Palmer. Rick Wakeman-Journey to the Center of the Earth is also one of my favorites. Ken Hensley from Uriah Heep still gets me going.

I had begun to think that I was the only person who remembered Atomic Rooster-I also bought 'Atomic Rooster' as new vinyl!

People learn fastest when they struggle thru an obstacle rather than quit trying!

Archived