Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RIP Randy Rhoads

marvar

It was 25 years ago today-

Play a tune to pay your respects.

25 yrs and one day ago, I got to see the man at his last show. I still can't forget how good he was.

"Who's gonna teach the children about Chuck Berry?"

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

25 yr ago I was like 7.

I am sure I thought Thriller was the greatest record ever. :crazy:WTF?

I hadn't even heard of Ozzy or Randy for another 5 yr.

Iomi and Rhoads were the only guitar players I liked with the Oz.

I totally missed out.

Why do you lay down? I say that it beats standing up! whats got you feeling so down? I hold up my empty cup!

Wonderful guitar player. I love pretty much everything on Blizzard Of Ozz, but ever since I became aware of Randy, shortly before his death, I just can't agree he had a great tone. Frankly, I think the tone on that entire album was about the worst tone I've ever heard on record. I like the songs and the recordings in spite of what I hear as nasty sounding and out of context.

I'm not saying Randy should've cloned EVH's tone (which was THE sound for hard rock at that time) but c'mon...

For all the talk about Randy's tone, I have yet to hear anyone immitate it on another album or live. ;)

Miss ya, Randy. Wish we could've heard how you developed and further matured as a player. It would've sounded great!

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Liked him but didn't care for the comment he made about VH

saying Ed was nothing but smoke and mirrors,i thought that showed no respect.Like Ed said i'm just a guy that likes to play guitar thats all.

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

I never heard that, Darklava? Do you know of a link to a transcript of an interview in which he said that?

I Also read that in Guitar World interview with him....

He did say it, if you like I can dig thu the piles of mags I have to tell ya what the date and page is...

Take Care:

The Diminished Mind

Dude Absher

http://members.soundclick.com/Dude+Absher

Liked him but didn't care for the comment he made about VH

saying Ed was nothing but smoke and mirrors,i thought that showed no respect.Like Ed said i'm just a guy that likes to play guitar thats all.

You must have the Guitar World mag lol...

Yea Quit Roit was not the draw as VH at the time when RR was with them...They was a big draw but was nothing like Van Halen...

I really think that it got to him that Ed was getting the lime light and signed before he was...

Going with Ozzy was the best for both him and Q.R. ...

I have listend to the early tapes of Q.R. when RR was with them and really I thought it was horrible...

I really think Ozzy brought out alot of hiden talent that he had..to bad you left us so early in life...

Take Care:

The Diminished Mind

Dude Absher

http://members.soundclick.com/Dude+Absher

Didn't know he ripped on Eddie. I find that hard to believe. He seemed like a very respectable guy and I heard he used to love Eddie's playing and go watch him play at local clubs.

As for his tone sucking. I agree, it is like a buzzsaw of solid state pedal distortion, but it is very defined sounding. I mean it sounds EXACTLY like Randy. I was impressed that live it was the same too. It has that Ozzy style.

Yup sucky tone, although signature. I loved his music, though. I think those 2 are the best Ozzy albums to this date.

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

As for his tone sucking. I agree, it is like a buzzsaw of solid state pedal distortion, but it is very defined sounding. I mean it sounds EXACTLY like Randy. I was impressed that live it was the same too. It has that Ozzy style.

I think that he used that tone because of the definition that it offered.

I think that he used that tone because of the definition that it offered.

I could see that. In those blizzard of note runs, every note stood out though overall the tone was piercingly shrill.

It's weird hearing about RR's comment, for years I had only heard about Eddie's comment on his death, "everybody dies". At the time I thought, what arrogance. Now it seems more like a little payback.

Anyway, super talent-shrill or not I never heard a boring solo.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

No, I think his tone is perfect actually. Sucky for what I would want but completely unique sounding for him.

Very solid state sounding but it sounds perfect with Ozzy. I thought he was a great player. I mean would it sound like Ozzy if he was playing through Eddies rig?

I promise I won't stay OT for long but the difference between guitarists and bassists views on tone is very interesting to me. Bassist spend there whole careers searching for a tone that is inside their heads and trying to get closer to it. There are exceptions and some of us have more than one signature tone. That tone seems to be seen as extremely personal. Although we are so fussy about tone, I've never heard a bassist express a dislike for another bassist's tone when discussing that player - it seems we just accept the difference.

Guitar players seem much more critical of each other tones. Maybe it's because guitarists usually have to have a greater range of tones, maybe it's because the guitar is tonally more upfront. Also maybe it's because of the varying nature and quality of overdriven and distorted tones, less common in bassplaying.

Interesting.

I promise I won't stay OT for long but the difference between guitarists and bassists views on tone is very interesting to me. Bassist spend there whole careers searching for a tone that is inside their heads and trying to get closer to it. There are exceptions and some of us have more than one signature tone. That tone seems to be seen as extremely personal. Although we are so fussy about tone, I've never heard a bassist express a dislike for another bassist's tone when discussing that player - it seems we just accept the difference.

Guitar players seem much more critical of each other tones. Maybe it's because guitarists usually have to have a greater range of tones, maybe it's because the guitar is tonally more upfront. Also maybe it's because of the varying nature and quality of overdriven and distorted tones, less common in bassplaying.

Interesting.

Yeah, I don't want to "aid and abet" here so I will try to be brief as well, but I think it does have to do with the sheer volume of available tones that a guitar player can chose from. There are so many ranges (bassy to trebley), so many effects and so many different styles.

As a guy who plays both instruments, I've been aware of this difference in opinion. On my bass, I'm happy to incorporate other's tones, into my arsenal of sounds. I've not come across a bass tone that I thought was bad.

With guitar, there is always someone who has hooked up far to many effects and set everything wrong. There is always that ear piercing guitar solo, where the high notes sound like a mosquito, taking a bite out of your ear drum.

Certainly is an interesting difference between the two frames of mind.

Archived