Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Informal Drop In OT Thread

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been about a week since I used MS Windows on my laptop. It's now running a Puppy Linux (Slacko 5.29.5) - with Google Chrome, Audacious (MP3 etc player), tuxguitar (PowerTab and GuitarPro player), AbiWord and Gnumeric it does just about everything I need from a PC. Very pleased with myself.

The linux loads from a cd (or usb) but saves onto the HDD, boots in half the time of XP and sets itself up quite easily (for a linux).

rad. i did that with ubuntu. it immediately extended the battery life of my laptop by over 20 minutes. i have since moved on to mac. i find linux (at least the ubuntu distro) to be very mac-like, and that feeling of being freed from the constraints of XP was a major push in getting me to a mac.

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to say...

Hail! to the victors valiant

Hail! to the conqu'ring heroes

Hail! Hail! to Michigan

the leaders and best

Hail! Hail! to Michigan,

the champions of the West!

http://images.footballfanatics.com/FFImage/thumb.aspx?i=%2Fproductimages%2F_770000%2FaltImages%2FFF_770045ALT5_xl.jpg

Push the button Frank.

I just wanted to say...

Hail! Hail! to Michigan

the leaders and best

Hail! Hail! to Michigan,

the champions of the West!

Yes! (o.t. I was on the Michigan swimming team 1966-1967)

Go Blue!

The Wrecking Crew was just a category on JEOPARDY!

$200 - The Wrecking Crew were LA studio musicians who played on dozens of hits, including this band's "Good Vibrations"

$400 - Micky, Davy, Mike & Peter sang, but the Crew did all the playing on this band's 1966 no. 1 album

$600 - Wrecking Crew bass queen Carol Kaye added the bottom end to the no. 1 "Theme From" this 1971 detective film

$800 - On "Whipped Cream & Other Delights", Herb Alpert played the trumpet, but the Wrecking Crew was this "south of the border" band

$1000 - Wrecking Crew drummer Hal Blaine used tire chains to lay down the crashing sounds on this Simon & Garfunkle No. 1

Push the button Frank.

What's with all the name changing again? Don't you people usually do this around Halloween? If I recall correctly it has caused problems before not only with the members but with the people that have to do the dirty work to maintain this thing. When I Initially joined my preferred handle was taken, by someone that posted once several years before but I'm happy with my second choice, so I'll keep it. I guess if I care who said what I'll have to rely on my feeble memory to remember where people are from.

Let me see if I can register some of your old names before anyone reads this.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

(cut & paste description)

Alternate Realitys The King That Never Was has just emerged as a new contender for worst music video of all time. If you want to skip past the intro, the music kicks in around 1:20.

[video:youtube]

I think "worst music video of all time" is a bit harsh. To me it looks like a Skinamax late night flick ran under time and budget and someone on the crew took advantage. The music isn't bad if you ignore the vocals and lyrics.

you know, i meant to do that last year. not nearly as many good records this year as last. at least for what i listen to. but i will still do one this year.

i know mutemath's odd soul will be near the top of my list:

and maybe malajube's la caverne:

• 1 month later...
It's in the low 50's here today. For those measuring in metric, that's like, over 10 Degrees Celsius. It's like, the lawn almost needs mowing. My wife's daffodils and tulips are like, 6 inches high. That's like, over 15 centimeters tall. She is , like, concerned. Looks like I won't have to move south when I retire. Like.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

It's in the low 50's here today. For those measuring in metric, that's like, over 10 Degrees Celsius. It's like, the lawn almost needs mowing. My wife's daffodils and tulips are like, 6 inches high. That's like, over 15 centimeters tall. She is , like, concerned. Looks like I won't have to move south when I retire. Like.

-25°C all week, a tad too much for me, but still manageable. The biggest downers are that I can't go ice skating with the daughter and the car battery needs to be replaced soonish, or at least recharged as a quick fix.

-P

(up to 200 characters) You may use UBBCode in your signature.

22.0°C right now.

:cool:

15.5°C.

true fact about your oddball moderator: i've converted to metric for temperatures. and i operate on a 24-hour clock.

Possibly a result of your work?

I work in an environmental lab - all our work is metric and all our analysis time stamps are 24 hour. It just seems easier to continue during the day with those systems.

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

Well, what pisses me off about our indoor/outdoor thermometer is that it displays in tenths of a degree. But the instructions say that the instrument is accurate to within +/- 1 degree.

It's like Mr. Spock. The poor fella never learned about significant digits.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

that's cold. has your nose fallen off yet? we're sunny and 10°C (50°F) today. in detroit.

No, my nose seems to have been frozen stuck on my face.

The good thing about such cold weather is that it makes the normal -10°C feel like it's time to break out the t-shirts and shorts and head to the beach!

-P

(up to 200 characters) You may use UBBCode in your signature.

• 3 weeks later...

Just A Marshall Stack

This is Immortal at the Hellfest festival. They crank it up to about 5 or 6.

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/terminal05/2012/2/18/7/enhanced-buzz-30691-1329568536-8.jpg

Front View

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/web05/2012/2/18/7/enhanced-buzz-816-1329568561-8.jpg

I always suspected this. I would have made the ends the same width as real ones.

Source

http://www.buzzfeed.com/burnred/just-a-marshall-stack-281t

• 4 weeks later...
Possibly a result of your work?

I work in an environmental lab - all our work is metric and all our analysis time stamps are 24 hour. It just seems easier to continue during the day with those systems.

sort of. but it was mostly the last time i went to amsterdam and i couldn't really make any sense of the weather forecast without a lot of thinking.

the 24 hour thing happened even earlier than that. i was tired of setting my alarms to the right time, but the clock was 12-hours off, or vice-versa. any clock that can go 24 hour is set that way.