Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Informal Drop In OT Thread

• 1 month later...

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok. So I was looking in the paper for a good band to see tonight and I see my band listed. Holy crap; good thing I looked in the paper. And holy crap; good thing it was listed.

I guess I'm sometimes not as smart as I look.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

• 4 weeks later...

OK, so today I ran 2 miles with a pair of one pound heavy hands. For those north of the border or across the pond, that's oh, about 0,45 kilogram per heavy hand. I didn't run it quick, but I ran it. Not bad for three months post-op. My wife was not pleased with this performance, as I'm not supposed to do high impact things till 6 months post-op. My opinion is that it's no more impact than mowing the lawn. And the lawn WILL BE MOWED! No pain, easy motions, and I tried to run with a soft flowing stride.

On the musical front, I played a duo gig on bass with a guitar player/singer guy this past Friday night. Wow--He's a fabulous performer--- I will learn a lot from him. For example, we played "Sweet Home Alabama". Now, that's a severely tired and worn out tune. Not so the way Marty plays it; OMG it rocked. So considering the low hours of preparation involved, we were great. I will need to re-visit the vocal monitor thing, as we played at a much higher dB level than my usual solo act. I need to pull back out my Mackie personal monitor for such gigs so I can have access to the "More Me" knob. Bonus points will be awarded to me if I can keep Marty focused on calling out the tunes that I (and "we") practiced, and not going off list as often.

Last Saturday the Iona College Gaels softball team with my daughter Katie catching won the MAAC Conference Championship (for the third straight year). This qualified them for the D1 NCAA Tournament.

The 64 teams are broken into 16 four team Regional round-robins. Katie's regional is in Berkeley California. They get to play the Boston University Terriers, the Arkansas Razorbacks and the #1 ranked Cal Golden Bears.

My wife and her sister are flying out. I effed up my back and will have to watch on TV or internet.

Here's Katie holding the 3-PEAT banner that a fan brought to every home game.

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/389728_2133147264107_1708807979_1016739_437905976_n.jpg

This is very cool for my family, just thought I'd share with my bass family.

Go Gaels!

Push the button Frank.

bassists look too bored with mark hoppus video

(3 or 4 NSFW words)

Best Line "Can anyone tell me what's wrong here?" "Uh, he's wearing his bass too low."

http://www.collegehumor.com/video/6769590/bassists-look-too-bored-with-mark-hoppus

Second best line: "Does he even know he's in The Who?"

"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

bassists look too bored with mark hoppus video

(3 or 4 NSFW words)

Best Line "Can anyone tell me what's wrong here?" "Uh, he's wearing his bass too low."

http://www.collegehumor.com/video/6769590/bassists-look-too-bored-with-mark-hoppus

Awesome!!! :laugh:

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

I F'n clicked on that video at work. F'n don't do that. I only got to one F'n, but.....

I didn't do nuttin'. That's why there's a NSFW warning, it's for people at work where it may cause problems and overly sensitive types. Then again, as someone who used to have to monitor this type of stuff, I'd question your frequency here and why you clicked on a link to collegehumor.com. Just sayin'...

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

No sweat. I'm not pissed at anybody or anything. Indeed, my bad for clicking on colleghumor. In fact, it was kind of funny.

NSFW... OK, so know I know what it means, but I still haven't been able to figure out what it stands for.

It was all in good fun,

Of course it was!

So. I'm packing for a gig I have this afternoon and I see I have two drink chips from the local bar that I finally (FINALLY!) landed a gig at a month ago. The chips were tips from a couple of patrons who liked the music (Yes, I have to make a tip jar a regular part of my setup. I only remember it halfway through the second tune). But here's the catch: the bar closed down last week. The drink chips are worthless.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a freaky dream this week.

I was Main St. USA, but sort of a Looney Tunes caricature of one. A classic Looney Tune locomotive came screaming down the street in all it's power and glory. It did one of those neat-o power slides that the kids do (with their "drifter" cars) right into a parking space. Porky Pig was the conductor. He had his arm hanging out the window and had on an engineer's hat. After parking the locomotive, he waved his hand and said, "Oh! Snap!" He did not stutter. Then Ken Burns started explaining about how this was the first known documented historical reference to the term "Oh! Snap!"

Because he did not stutter, how can we be sure it really was Porky Pig?

There's a lot of Porky impersonators out there.

The real Porky has a heart surgery scar. He was having some trouble about two years ago and they had to give him a human valve.

Also the real Porky has a rose with the word Petunia tattooed on his left ass cheek. The studio usually covered it with makeup for the films.

Push the button Frank.

Then Ken Burns started explaining about how this was the first known documented historical reference to the term "Oh! Snap!"

Ken Burns? You've obviously been watching too much public television, Paul...or maybe too much Looney Tunes. Hard to say.

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.

There's a lot of Porky impersonators out there.

....heart surgery scar.....

.... the word Petunia tattooed ......

At the time of the event, I was unable to check Mr. Pig for the distinctive markings listed above. I will try again to obtain this information on this evening's journey back to Toon Town.

I've been on a pretty heavy Otis Redding kick lately. Every time I hear this once, I have a hard time not playing it ten times in a row. I wish that he would have been around a little longer.

[video:youtube]

These look pretty cool for kids and fun for others too but at $149 I can't see why I wouldn't buy someone a starter kit.

http://loogguitars-live.s3.amazonaws.com/skin/frontend/default/blank_seo/images/home_sliders/4.jpg

If it was $49 I can see some awesome project possibilities.

More here

http://www.loogguitars.com/