Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Informal Drop In OT Thread

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow there's so much hilarity going on here I'll Just cut and paste the text from Buzzfeed, where I found this.

A Bad, Bad, Lawrence Welk Version Of Bad, Bad Leroy Brown

He was the baddest man in the whole damn, I mean, DARN, town according to this 1978 Welk version of the Jim Croce hit. And the dancers really cut loose. In a Welk way. You'll need a STRONG glass of milk after seeing this. (Maybe even chocolate.)

[video:youtube]

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

Here it is in cut and paste. But damn; gotta admit that the kid has some great big...great big...uh....stones.

I'm 16 years old. Probably going to emancipate myself soon. And I want to your america in a band. I'm a generation all my own. I get lost in music, and all types. I've been playing guitar for 17 months. And I've progressed greatly. Me and my current band have covered Hendrix, the stones, green day, the white stripes and many more. If I were to tally em up I can probably play close to 30 songs full length. I have 4 guitars, 2 of which need work. But a very reliable agile 2000 w Floyd rose and a gigging fender acoustic electric. I have no vehicle but have no problem sleeping in a van. And I can bring sound equipment for myself. I'd really like to make a living off my music. Jimi Hendrix is a huge inspiration to me but anyone willing to bring me can choose the music. I'm not an all star rocker but can still play a lot

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

Wow there's so much hilarity going on here I'll Just cut and paste the text from Buzzfeed, where I found this.

He was the baddest man in the whole damn, I mean, DARN, town according to this 1978 Welk version of the Jim Croce hit. And the dancers really cut loose. In a Welk way. You'll need a STRONG glass of milk after seeing this. (Maybe even chocolate.)

Mr. Welk just goes nuts in the background...

decent bassline...

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

Grown my nails longer (normally they're super short) and am enjoying the extra bite in the tone. They're not super long but it makes a huge difference. Didn't I do a thread about nails once?

Also, after enjoying Serena Williams' tennis yesterday I was watching an interview where she said she played guitar and played well - now - that would be something to see!

Well, obviously Jim Croce sang the song better, but I had no problem with the band on the video; I thought they did a pretty good job and the piano solo was very good. As far as the dancers, I see people on a regular basis doing those steps at swing dances.

As for Mr. Welk? No comment.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so my wife called me up from the Farmer's Market that she does and asked me to sub for the music cat who didn't show up. My gear was already in the car 'cause I had a gig the night before. At the market, some lady comes walking by with a big dog. I said into the mic, "Hey buddy! Good boy! Good Boy, Buddy." And the dog freaks right out. I asked the lady, "What's his name?" She said, "Buddy." So I said, "Yes. And I can also predict the future."

Yes, that was so much damn fun.

I need me a pair of the boy dancer's slacks. My wife likes to refer to them as Jackass Pants.

Push the button Frank.

• 3 weeks later...

This could be subtitled Things That Do Not Belong Together.

Or, How to Cover Edgy Things With Cheese.

Or, A Lesson In Why Good Music Cannot Overcome Bad Production.

I'll stop there.

"Of all the world's bassists, I'm one of them!" - Lug

• 3 weeks later...
Any Breaking Bad fans out there?

(yes I know this has been flying around for a while)

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/imagebuzz/terminal01/2011/10/14/11/tio-salamancas-twitter-16504-1318606531-3.jpg

That top set of DINGs should have ended in BOOM.

Push the button Frank.

I love this picture.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/563262_467607199926042_1689806119_n.jpg

Interesting to see the flip-flops or sandals on Paul's feet, since in the album cover he's walking in bare feet.

"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

Any Breaking Bad fans out there?

(yes I know this has been flying around for a while)

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/imagebuzz/terminal01/2011/10/14/11/tio-salamancas-twitter-16504-1318606531-3.jpg

That top set of DINGs should have ended in BOOM.

Dude's eyes...and quivering upper lip -- scary!

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.

So I'm going through this big reality check.

A bass player in town I knew got into a three car accident lat Friday. He was driving to work in the AM to his new job, had the sun right straight in his eyes, missed a yield sign, and now he's no longer with us. 62 years old, family, the whole nine yards. A wonderful guy, loved by all. Big showing at the funeral home. We weren't best buds, but I liked him and respected him and enjoyed chatting with him when our paths crossed, which was quite often.

And coming home from work today I passed a head on collision that had happened about, oh, three minutes before I got there--way before the cops and paramedics arrived. I bunch of people seemed to have the situation in hand, and since I'm not paramedics trained I figured they didn't need one more cook in the kitchen. But, man. Those cars were toast. All of a sudden I was bit less annoyed at the lady in front of me for driving so damn slow. Hope to hell those passengers didn't end up like Joe the bass player.

And of course, these events have me thinking of our own Dave Brown. He was a very hip cat on this forum a couple three or more years ago who died shortly after a car accident that originally hadn't seemed so severe.

Summary is that my new-ish day job has me working less with the idea of enjoying life more before it's my turn in the casket. But with driving more, it behooves me to take that part of the job as seriously as I take the actual work part. Not saying that Joe and these other chaps weren't taking the driving thing seriously, just saying that I had better not get sloppy in that chore.

(Ha! "Eulogy" playing with VH and Headwinds. Now I'm really freaked right out....)

Interesting to see the flip-flops or sandals on Paul's feet, since in the album cover he's walking in bare feet.

I have a bootleg CD called "Abbey Road Anthology". The booklet has several of the shots that the photographer took that day, and Paul is wearing sandals in several of the other pictures. So obviously the whole barefoot thing wasn't intended to be symbolic (man, people are crazy!!).

"Of all the world's bassists, I'm one of them!" - Lug