Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Informal Drop In OT Thread

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, not to get of topic, :rolleyes:

Local "classic rock" band e-mailed me based on my profile in a "social networking" site for musicians. Been playing URB and EUB (when it's not falling apart, right O'Moot?) almost exclusively for the last year and playing jazz standards to boot.

Here's the set list for the "jam" Tuesday ...

Brown Sugar (Easy enough)

Cocaine (Easy enough)

Give Me Three Steps (Needs Work)

Old Time RnR (Duh!)

Tequila Sunires (Train Wreck)

Born to Be Wild (Should be OK)

Word Up (What the Hell is that?)

Takin' Care of Business (Easy Enough)

Super Freak (?)

Sweet Home Alabama (Easy Enough)

Brick House (?)

All said, I am not the funkiest guy out there. I'm not funky at all. I'm the anti-funk. I can suck a room full of funk clear out with my presence. Funk fears me! Fear the awesome power of my anit-funk!!!! :o

Yeah, a year ago and some change I stated I wasn't a jazz guy and ended up in a jazz band (thanks to Jeremy, et. al.). But this is different. I never claimed to be the "anti-jazz".

Little math problem, kids:

- A train leaves Scranton, PA heading westbound at 60 mph. Another train leaves San Francisco (do they still allow trains there?) at the same time at 80 mph east bound. Flank is playing "Play That Funky Music" in Saint Louis, Mo. :eek:

You get the picture?

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

If you fancy some rock covers I'm playing every other Friday June and July at the city pride in canary wharf....

www.myspace.com/davidbassportugal

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

You are most welcome and you will be playing a fretted 5ier for a song or two so I can get a pint. :)

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

Here's the set list for the "jam" Tuesday ...

Give Me Three Steps (Needs Work)

Tequila Sunrise (Train Wreck)

Word Up (What the Hell is that?)

Super Freak (?)

Brick House (?)

All said, I am not the funkiest guy out there.

Interesting. Trouble with Tequila Sunrise? Eagles? You'll have that down easily.

I don't know what Word Up is either. And I haven't ever tried Super Freak.

I am also somewhat un-funky. I am convinced that, like so many things, there are degrees. I was able to do fine with Brick House. I even sang it (the bass playing was much better :rolleyes:). That, and Play That Funky Music, aren't particularly de-funk-manding. I found there were even some early James Brown that I could manage.

I will tell you that my band won't let me near reggae...

Have fun!

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

ok so I'll make sure I'll pick a song where you have to use the B string :)

So, my ex is in southern Cali fighting a fire and I have my 12 year old son for the week. I am amazed at how much the kid eats!

I'll spend more on groceries this week than I would for myself in a month.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

Band names changed to protect the guilty

OK, so the audtion with the band "Construction Material" goes well enough, but the band is looking for someone that knows the "most" of the material right now (hard up against some gigs, I suppose). I only felt really good about 1 set (1/4 of the list).

I have an invite to watch (and subsequently audition for) another classic rock band "Dark Glasses" Now, I happen to know that the guitarist for "Construction Material" used to play for "Dark Glasses". So, how do TWO band that have recently had signficant personnel changes BOTH need a bassist?

Being a bassist in a small town is akin to college or professional coaching. Let's face it; your favorite XXXXball team is interviewing some schlep who got fired last year from his coaching gig. And your team is the fouth team he interviewed with. And that coach WILL have a job (with or without your team) at the beginning of next year, no matter how bad he sucked. I've determined that in my town, there are five classic rock bands that are steady gigging. And those five bands are passing around the same four tired-a$$ed bassist. So at any given moment there is one band looking to replace the tired-a$$ed bassist who is getting ready to leave "Old Tires" so that he can join "Impolite John" who just posted CL for a bassist because their guy left to take the bass chair at "Unable to Differentiate Between Red and Green" because the guitarist and the singer couldn't coextist and decided to start another band. And then there's the "Inclimate Weather Phenomenom Running Body of Water Young Men".

The good news, if I ever manage to get into one of these relic bands, I will have a job for life.

Seriously considering taking drum lessons...

I feel you Flank. There are probably 5 or 6 bassists in the tri-county area here. That's right county. Oh, there are lots of guys who play bass but, the guys you can call if you're bass player is on a meth binge or can't find his teeth? 5 or 6 and they are as gigged up as they want to be. The bands they play with have been around for many years and have a following. Without sounding too terribly full of myself, I am one of these players. It's not that we're end all bass players - it's that we sing.

Moot, I have all my teeth and never tried meth.

Since I'm hatin' on the players and not the game, I hate you so much right now.

I should know better, it the first question everyone asks ... "Can you sing?"

Here we go again. I've been invited by a local band seeking a bassist to watch them play at a local watering hole. Probably the best booked classic rock band in the area. Male and female leads. Three guitars, two of which can play lead. Immense local following. 100 song list ranging from CCR to ZZ to Zep to Pussycat Dolls to Cameo. Three to seven gigs a week and travel all over Washington, Idaho and Oregon. Invites to all the major festivals. Private parties. The works.

Classic Rock, New Wave, light Funk, old Metal.

Kids, I'm a sooo in over my head.

http://www.amazon.com/Leatherman-64010103K-Micra-Multitool/dp/B0007UQ1B0

I'm bring this to a gun fight, and they's pretty big guns. At least I can turn down the invite to audition before I have the opportunity to soil myself.

Go audition you schmuck!!

Sounds like a great opportunity. Seriously, what have you got to lose?

Sometimes I think I'm too hard on myself.

So I go out an watch the band. I get there, pay my cover, have an IPA and a glass of water. Sit through set 1. At the break, I go talk to the keyboard player. He runs the local music store where I buy all my upright stuff from (still has an order out for replacement tuners for my son's Alvarez). Talk to the guitarist (briefly - he's the one I've been e-mailing). Then I sit down and have another IPA and a glass of water. Drummer comes in from outside and we have a chat. Guitar walks in and asks that I hang out so he can talk. OK.

I'm not hatin' to be hatin', but they weren't "great". Yeah, they have an attractive middle-aged female vox (I know I'm not pulling off Meredith Brooks' "Bitch"). Drums are way too loud. They don't harmonize well. Despite having a lot of rack mounted gear with lots of LED's, they sound muddy and not well EQ'd. And, at the risk of sounding like a guitarist, I've could have done 75% of those "basslines" cold. They do have a varied songlist and they keep the floor packed.

Yeah, maybe the bassist is really a guitar or a fill in. I've only been trying to get back into gigging for about three years now, but maybe I'm spending too much time trying to be too good or too accurate with the covers or memorizing "tabs" and talking myself into being not good enough.

Be a good band to hook up with. Good, steady gigs, strong local following, scale money, flexible song list. I don't know if I want to be in a band that is playing 3 to 7 times a month. Beginning to sound almost like a job.

Sounds like a typical bar band to me.

The thing to remember is the mentality of your typical bar patron. They are there to drink, dance to music they know and have fun with their friends. If the vocals are decent, if they hear signature licks and can recognize the songs and the drums keep them in sinc on the dance floor, they're happy. The sound doesn't have to be perfect.

The big question is will you have enough fun to stay interested or, after the novelty wears off will it become work and if/when it does are you willing to stick?

So, I took one of my old cabs out of mothball yesterday.

It's a ported 8 sf. plywood enclosure with a Carvin 15. I honestly laughed when I got it wrestled into the house and hooked up. No definition at all. Boomy, barky, buzzy and not tight like the 3.5 sf. cabs I normally play but, it took around half the power to make it insanely loud.

I'm taking it to practice Monday. You guys wanna play 80's pop metal? I'm bringin' some retro tone. :D

Sounds like a typical bar band to me.

And so they are, apparently. I was working off hype from other people (including, unfortunately, people involved in the local music scene that should know better). Got myself all psyched out for nothing, really.

Be nice to be gigging again, though.

Be nice to be gigging again, though.

it wii come sooner than you think my friend. Or you could start your own band like i'm doing