Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Informal Drop In OT Thread

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

moot, I think you mean cf (cubic feet).

Who do we still have in SoCal? We need a role call.

I stand corrected.

I was in a couple good quakes in SoCal and here's a little known fact -

Nevada has more earthquakes than California. I lived there for a few years and was rocked 4 times by wicked quakes.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

Funny story:

We've been keeping the windows in the apartment open for the last week or so because it's been really nice out and we don't have central AC. There's a big fruit and veggie garden behind our building on the other side of the block that's currently being fixed up, planted and generally tended. Today I started noticing faint whiffs of something that smelled like rotting garbage so I figured it was fertilizer day or they had started a compost heap or something. Yuck.

Fast forward to this evening. For some reason I noticed that I mainly smelled it when approaching the window near the closet when I was hanging up laundry and then it hit me: the smell wasn't wafting in from outside...it was in the closet.

I pulled out the luggage and gear I stow in that part of the closet (big closet) and found out that somehow (exactly two weeks ago after the last big band rehearsal I went to) I threw my practice amp into its place and managed to squash a little field mouse.

It sat there for two weeks. We've been wondering why the cat has been going apeshit the last several days.

1/2 a bottle of ammonia later we have all windows open and two fans on full blast hoping it won't smell by bed time.

This has been a presentation of davio's Funny Story by davio. Narrated by davio. Illustrated by davio. Thank you for listening.

You keep your practice amp in there? Inexcusable.

So, do you plan to do some midnight produce shopping?

I keep it in there because my Pandora sounds better for practice than it does (old Crate BX-25 on which some of the knobs don't work...I used it because I forgot about rehearsal so I was in too much of a hurry to carry the AG and head and URB to the van so I copped out with the jazz and combo...it works). Some of us aren't too anal to practice with headphones because we have room mates and neighbors who it might bother if we practiced through speakers durring our normal practice time. :D

Why would I need to go shopping? I already had a snack. No cooking required and aged to perfection...in my closet.

One of my Jazz Basses has what they call a "pearloid pickguard".

http://www.radiogato.com/store/pics/slammervert.jpg

Pic does not makes much justice to the pickguard, but there it is.

But... why not go for the "real" thing? Just saw THIS on EvilBay:

http://i.ebayimg.com/16/!BSw-nC!!2k~$(KGrHgoH-CsEjlLltsWbBKE0bb!fzw~~_1.JPG

Brought to you by Juancarlin.

www.juancarlinmusic.com

http://www.youtube.com/JuanCarlinMusic

www.facebook.com/JuanCarlinMusic

Instagram: @JuanCarlinMusic

Well, I'm sitting here on the computer after spending all day yesterday running errands and most the morning helping with the spring rearranging of the furniture instead of woodshedding. I've an audition Monday with the band described oh, about 18 posts ago. My Tascam MP-BT1 has arrived in the mail, I've download from Amazon about 10 dance numbers which I don't normally cover. I'm loaded for bear. Except as soon as I'm done here, I'm sending an e-mail to flake out.

I'm not nervous, and I've been bounced by better band and have auditioned at other times less prepared than I am now. I don't know if it's the band, the music, I'm lazy or what, but I'm missing that fire in my gut that makes me want to go out there and rock out. Maybe poorly, but rock out all the same.

I'm not all weepy-eyed about the old project. I'm just not sure what's going on or wheter I can find my center again or not.

I may need to break out the plywood and run some Lady Day. After I get my practice room reassembled.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Better now than after they see your awesomely mediocre chops and get their hopes up.

Follow your considerable gut. If it says to sit this one out, then do. If it says eat the whole bag of Cheetos or deep fry all 12 Twinkies in the box . . .

Your trying to put your music room together - I'm packing mine up. I'm moving yet again.

1) Have you been easedropping? I wouldn't sa AWESOMELY mediocre...

2) I didn't think it was all THAT considerable.

3) Mmmm, Cheetos, but no so much Twinkies

4) 85% complete. Using the missus' old laptop to replace my blown tower. Man, that thing is agonizingly slow. I have alot of work to do to make it viable music room fodder.

One step ahead of the law, heh? Just because they SAY they're barely legal ...

One step ahead of the law, heh? Just because they SAY they're barely legal ...

What can I say - midget hookers are timeless.

So, one of the bands I play with posted a song on Myspace.

This is the band that was supposed to release the complete CD in March and still hasn't finished one song.

Anyway, I went and listened and there is no audible sign of bass guitar. My complaint was met with "It's just a rough mix. We'll fix it in the studio."

My thought is it's a little too rough to post if you can't hear all the instruments - in a 3 piece band.

Opinions?

If I were a lesser man, I would say that it was because you were awesomely mediocre.

But I'm better than that, so I won't say it was because you were awesomely mediocre.

That's why we're here, Moots. You can't get it from the band, but you can always find some bass player luv here.

On another subject,

I was on the weather dot com site to see if it was as freakin' hot as I thought it was and below the temperature, there was an ad in three parts:

Benton City Mom lost 47 pounds (RachelRayBlog)

Benton City Mom lost 52 pounds (RachelRayDiet)

Benton City Mom lost 47 pounds (RachelRayBlogger)

So, I sez to the wife (who loves my cynical nature), I wonder what happens if I put in a zip code for Richland

Richland Mom lost 47 pounds (RachelRayBlog)

Richland Mom lost 52 pounds (RachelRayDiet)

Richland Mom lost 47 pounds (RachelRayBlogger)

So, I sez to the wife (who had already left the room when I started this senseless rant) what happend if I put in a zip code for where my mom lives in NE Pennsylvania?

Clark Summit Mom lost 47 pounds (RachelRayBlog)

Clark Summit Mom lost 52 pounds (RachelRayDiet)

Clark Summit Mom lost 47 pounds (RachelRayBlogger)

How regimented a diet is it were everyone looses the same amount of weight at the same website?

Ok, I've fooled around long enough. I have an account with Amazon and downloaded about an album and a half worth of classic rock MP3s. I've started locking myself in the computer room for a half hour on weekdays and two hours each on Friday-Saturday-Sunday. I purchased a Tascam MP-BT1. Have the wife's old laptop up and running adequately. I'm determined to learn the host band's set list (the one running the BIG jam nite), go up there and tear it up and see what happens.

I've also updated my profile on Musician's Forest:

You know that guy on Craig's List? Yeah, you know the one. "Pro-Level Bassist." "Pro Gear." "Head Shots." "Professionally Managed." "Recording and Performance Credits." "Just Moved Here from Cali." "Resume and Reference." "Serious Inquiries Only." "Intrested in Working with Professionals Only." That guy?

I'm not him.

Nope. I'm just an intermediate bassist. A hobbyist. Someone looking to play bass and have a little fun. I've done the "starving artist" thing and let's face it, having heat and lights and food and a roof over your head rocks. Everytime it's tried.

It's simple, really. You want a guy who can tear it up right now, go prima dona and ruin band chemistry only to flake on you in three to six months? Or you want a guy who will work his butt off, gut it out, be a good band mate and be in it for the long haul?

What I do have is decent and varied gear in excellent shape. I have reliable transportation. My children are grown and done with school. My wife is understanding and supportive. I'm 48 years old and wear it pretty well. I have no issues, baggage or ego. I am not a head case. I am not a genre snob (but I'm NOT cutting my hair for an '80's style new wave band). And, I have a pretty good head of hair, if nothing else.

Sorry, Moots, I didn't include anything about my awesome mediocraty, or my persoanl dimentions, or Twinkies and Cheeto's Salad.

I'm just tired of sitting around like the LeBron puppet from the Nike ads.

Go forth and kick some classic rock ass old pal!!

Remember, when in doubt, pedal A.