Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Santana - overrated

Tone Taster

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look, I saw Santana jam with Eric Clapton and a third guy I didn't know, who apparently showed up to jam, in Tucson during Clapton;s 861 Oceanside Blvd. tour. It was pretty special indeed. They jammed on Santana's "Soul Sacrifice" and everybody took their shot. Clapton went first, and he was, well Clapton, playing his Blackie Strat through a 70's MusicMan amp. Then Carlos took his cut, and he sounded like Santana through a Boogie. Then the third guy took his turn, and first he played a bunch of Santana licks with a big smile on his face, and when Carlos realized what he was doing, he broke up laughing. Then the guy did a bunch of Clapton licks, and Eric was preoccupied or high or something, and Carlos had to nudge him for him to notice. When he finally did, he broke up too. Then the guy did something of his own, and he was great. It was a neat jam to watch, everybody "played nice" with each other, and no one stepped on anyone else, and they all had a great time at it. SO did the audience.

You can pull enbarassing performances out of anybody's past, but it don't mean squat. Carlos was and is a hot player, with a tone and style all his own. His passionate, engaging music has stood the test of time, and still holds up. You don't have to like him if you don't want to, but anyone who says he's overrated simply doesn't know what they're talking about.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Originally posted by guitarzan:

i like Carlos.

I like him within the context of that Latin sound he woke us all up to. No question... I've got a bunch of it on good old vinyl.

What I can't stand for one reason or another is Carlos Santana & Rob Thomas, Gloria Estifan, John Denver, Jennifer Lopez, PeeWee Hermon, Blueman Group and on and on and on.... :rolleyes:

Reminds me of some kind of life after death thing that's reminiscent of Willie Nelson, Frank Sinatra & Julio Iglesias.

The Standard Shoes Disclaimer applies here to anyone who for any reason whatsoever may believe I've cause irreparable harm through the professions made above.

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

Archived