Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Santana - overrated

Tone Taster

Well...I mostly envy his ability to get that never-ending clean sustain...which is something I like on some songs...not on everything.

But here's the thing...why bash Carlos for becoming the product that he is...?

I don't think he's gone out of his way to "market" himself over the last 30 years

and the last few years have been more of a "Carlos re-discovery" for a lot of people...courtesy of "Smooth/Supernatural"...and of course, the big Latin sound that came to the surface at that same time.

I think he just kinda floated to the top of all that by defaultbeing the elder in the Rock/Latin genre.

Heck...there are a LOT of over-rated performers out there that leave me scratching my head.

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by ellwood:

Here's the good news in all of this, WE know the difference! We know who the underated,overrated and rated correctly players are. The over rating is not done by US it is done for the most part by non-players and general listening audiences, it is a perception the by general public.

Yep! Case in point: C.C. DeVille.

Originally posted by MILLO:

He wasn't the first one combining those styles and won't be the last.

Who was first before Santana? I never heard them, and I suspect most folks would say the same.

There have always been latino influences in American popular music, from songs like "Besame Mucho"(cha cha BOOM!) to "Brazil", and people like Louis Prima, Xavier Cugat, and Desi Arnaz in the 50's, to the whole jazz scene with Dizzy Gillespie working Afro-Cuban rhythms into his stuff, and Stan Getz doing bossa nova with Astrud Gilberto in the early 60's.

But no one I ever heard of put it together the way Carlos did, or sold it to as large an audience. If you heard of someone else who did, who were they?

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Originally posted by miroslav:

Well...I mostly envy his ability to get that never-ending clean sustain...which is something I like on some songs...not on everything........

Hmmm..I think you better listen more closely. Santana's sustain has alway been very saturated, high-gain (but maybe with different tonal characteristics than most high gain shredders).

Oddly enough, I'd much rather listen to the guy he mentored, Neil Schon, than Carlos
Totally agree with that statement!

Also, I watched some hour biography on Carlos and he has really used his wealth to help people. He is an admirable person on many levels.

This documentary I saw on him last year claimed that he played jazz too. That simply isn't true. The music they showed him playing wasn't even close to jazz. It had 1 tonal center the whole time. If thats the case than I am a jazz player too....

Originally posted by flagshipmile:

This documentary I saw on him last year claimed that he played jazz too.

Sheesh they should've hired a player/consultant for the film who'd call 'em on dumb gaffes like that. :rolleyes:

Although they'd be asking for real trouble if they hired Yze. :eek:

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

This documentary I saw on him last year claimed that he played jazz too. That simply isn't true. The music they showed him playing wasn't even close to jazz. It had 1 tonal center the whole time. If thats the case than I am a jazz player too....

He probably thought that, since Miles Davis (one of his heros) has played modal tunes, he could too and he's now Jazz.

The thing is, Miles could really play over changes in his younger days with Parker....something that's way out of Carlos' league.

A Jazz/Chord Melody Master-my former instructor www.robertconti.com

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

I was thinking about this thread as I listened to "Amigos" on my iPod yesterday.

While Carlos was the star, he was still a member of a band. And a really great band at that.

Quite a number of Santana's songs didn't have solo guitar sections. I think a lot of people would agree that one of the highlights of Santana's Woodstock performance was Michael Shrieve's drum solo.

Carlos Santana as a solo artist simply isn't as good as the band Santana. This is nothing new - look at Paul McCartney. Or Jimmy Page. Or Thom Yorke.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Originally posted by Gabriel E.:

I think a lot of people would agree that one of the highlights of Santana's Woodstock performance was Michael Shrieve's drum solo.

Yeah, not to take this off topic, but holy crap! how old was that kid? 16? That was one hell of a hot drum solo. Blows me away every time I see it.

Originally posted by Bejeeber:

This documentary I saw on him last year claimed that he played jazz too.

Sheesh they should've hired a player/consultant for the film who'd call 'em on dumb gaffes like that. :rolleyes:

Although they'd be asking for real trouble if they hired Yze. :eek:

They were probably talking abut the stuff he did McLaughlin and Alice Coltrane. It was jazz, more or less. It was also the worst stuff he ever did, to my way of thinking. But, I guess is you lie down with jazz players you get up with fleas...or something...

Originally posted by Picker:

......if you lie down with jazz players you get up with fleas.....

HEY!!!! :mad::freak:

:P

He means the good fleas. The smart, talented ones that jump through hoops at fleas circuses. Trust me, you wake up those those fleas and you're in good company. :D

I have told this story before but apparently my cousin met Carlos and John Macglaughlin on tour and they took her with them for like 2 weeks!! She said they were both gentleman and treated her great. I am sure there was ALOT of partying going down.

I don't hate Carlos. I just think he gets too much credit and is like the peoples guitarist or something. He is a decent rock player, but when people start saying he plays jazz too and that he is one of the greats of all time. I think of the greats. Like from that era Jeff Beck.. To me Beck is still amazing. He is timelessly good. He has incredible feel. I remember Diamond Dust posted those concerts from 68 last year. I was blown away at Beck's playing and tone. He was so far ahead of his time it is ridiculous. His tone almost sounds modern in 1968!!

Beck also cares, and he kept growing as a player.

Perhaps a better way to put that would be if you hang with jazz players enough, some people might mistake you for one. Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers there...

It's true. People are often judged by how they hang out with. I happen to work a couple of blocks from Grand Central Station in NYC, and there are lots of musicians who play there for tips. Some of them are talented professionals, and a lot of them are my friends. I come up and drop a dollar or two in the pot and chit chat for a second.

The point being, if someone sees me talking with a classical violinist or a jazz sax player, will they mistake me for one?

If they DO, I wouldn't consider it an INSULT!

I don't mean to ruffle any feathers, except for those that need ruffled. What is the line, ruffles have ridges, or vice versa..?

PS I might hang out with these guys, but I don't lie down with them, fleas or not!

Originally posted by Eric Iverson:

... but I don't lie down with them, fleas or not!

I don't blame you...

...the floor is kinda' hard in Grand Central Station... ;)

Do they play any Santana hits...? :D

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Originally posted by A String:

He means the good fleas. The smart, talented ones that jump through hoops at fleas circuses. Trust me, you wake up those those fleas and you're in good company. :D
Pee-Wee Runt and his All-Flea Dixieland Band from the Droopy cartoon!
Yum, Yum! Eat em up!

Holy Schnikie! Santana w/ Miles' band incl. Robben Ford. I'm happy all over. I ain't gettin' into the Santana good/Santana bad thing. I'm obviously a fan.

Some years ago, a friend of mine, not a musician, in his cups, asked me, "Ya wanna hear the greates' f*ckin' guitar solo of all time?" I said of course. He staggered over to his stereo, made a selection, and sat back. Santana's "Europa" came out of the machine.

I agreed with my friend.

Originally posted by Eric Iverson:

The point being, if someone sees me talking with a classical violinist or a jazz sax player, will they mistake me for one?

Okay, final revision; If you PLAY with jazzers, classical musicians, polka bands, klezmer combos, cowboy groups, Norwegian choirs, punk rockers, etc and so on ad infitum often enough, folks might think you are one of them, too. Unless you play with all the above all the time and everyone sees you doing it...I'm getting a headache... :(

• 4 weeks later...
You may have a point yZecounsel but I think your missing the big picture. First Santana is probably used to fronting a band and relies on others to follow his que. He is most likely stoned most of the time as well. His music is about expression rather than academics. He certainly has a recognizable sound, both in his guitar playing and style of music. Thats more than 99% of us can say.

Archived