Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Calling Your Favorite Unsung Guitarists

Editor Boy

Hi all...

The GP editors are considering an unsung heroes or forgotten greats themed issue for 2006.

Please "nominate" your guitar heroes in this forum. All kick-ass players who you feel never achieved cultural, commercial, and/or financial success commensurate with their gifts are eligible.

You can merely leave a name, or post a name and a short missive as to why you believe your picks are worthy.

Let's have some fun with this, and recognize some players who deserve more glory.

I'll also post this call for action in the GP Editors' Office forum.

Thanks for your participation.

Cheers,

Mike

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll name some local Dallas boys.

Anson Funderburg- A great blues player. He is pretty popular in europe and I'm sure most blues players know of him.

Bugs Henderson- Good ol' rock and roll.

Rocky Athas- I first saw him in cover bands and then later he also did some hard rock original stuff.

I nominate two brothers from Scotland.

The Late Great Alex Harvey - he of the 'Big Blues Band' and later 'The Sensational Alex Harvey Band'. Between times he played the guitar for the backing band for 'Hair' when the show was on the road.

A real Road Warrior and entertainer par excellence.

Also his brother, Leslie Harvie. Incredible guitarist - would easily have been amongst the greatest names had he lived. I once saw him change and tune a G string WHILE playing a solo, when working with Alex. Main man in the band 'Stone The Crows', fiance to Maggie Bell, the great Scots soul & blues singer, and sadly, electrocuted on-stage.

I'd say that if you researched those two, you'd have more than enough for an article.

Geoff

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

Originally posted by rotosound45:

Andy LaRouqe - Excellent prog/thrash/metal guitarist from King Diamond that never got his props from what I can tell.

I believe it's spelled LaRocque...

He played w/ Death, too. I kinda dislike King Diamond, so I'm not sure I remember any of his work w/ him, but loved what he did w/ Schuldiner (sp?) in Death.

Paul Masvidal, Jason Gobel (sp?) and James Murphy also deserve to be considered.

Chris Poland's work w/ Ohm: is great, in my opinion.

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

Iván Rijos, in the world of the classical guitar. Just ask David Russell or Carlos Barbosa-Lima who Rijos is and what and how he can play and can come up with.

Marco Pereira is another one--great Brazilian player/composer.

My MySpace Space

Please Please Please do an article on Jerry Riggs

He had 2 cuts on the Heavy Metal Motion Picture Soundtrack. I think it was radar rider and Heartbeat

He later shared lead duties with Pat Travers for over a decade

His soloing has to be the best representation of both melody and chops combined into one package I have ever heard

He lives in Orlando now and gigs occasionally

I can get his number if you want it

Bill Perry of the Bill Perry Band, not known as he should be, one of the hottest blues players on this planet!! http://www.billperry.com/ Here's what Guitar One had to say: Bill Perry ranks among the best of a new generation of blues performers. He's a stunning guitar master, or, as Guitar One put it, a "six-string superman more powerful than a locomotive." He's also an intense, highly expressive singer and a superb songwriter. His music reflects his New York City sensibility - passionate and somewhat menacing.

I would like to see articles on Damian and Goodrick. I have a book from each and it seems they're marvelous musicians--at least they have some great ideas. I haven't heard them, though. So, hopefully the articles would provide some insight into their careers.

My MySpace Space

Originally posted by MILLO:

Originally posted by rotosound45:

Andy LaRouqe - Excellent prog/thrash/metal guitarist from King Diamond that never got his props from what I can tell.

I believe it's spelled LaRocque...

He played w/ Death, too. I kinda dislike King Diamond, so I'm not sure I remember any of his work w/ him, but loved what he did w/ Schuldiner (sp?) in Death.

Paul Masvidal, Jason Gobel (sp?) and James Murphy also deserve to be considered.

Chris Poland's work w/ Ohm: is great, in my opinion.

Yes! Yes! Yes! Every one of those guys are great.

If you get a chance to spin "Conspiracy" by King Diamond, you will hear some killer guitar.

I love the Murphy/Obituary set the most, but anything death metal that James Murphy touched was gold.

Chris Poland is his own animal. His tone followed him wherever he went, which means Megadeth lost alot when Poland split. "Peace Sells... But Who's Buying" set the standard for what is good metal, IMHO.

Originally posted by MILLO:

Iván Rijos, in the world of the classical guitar. Just ask David Russell or Carlos Barbosa-Lima who Rijos is and what and how he can play and can come up with.

Rijos is amazing! Here's a short video clip of him playing Etude #7 by Villa Lobos:

http://www.arts.arizona.edu/guitar/ivan/etude7.mov

Stanley Yates is another classical guitarist that deserves major props.

Originally posted by yZeCounsel:

.. Mike Miller...

I can definitely second that one. I don't know if there are any recordings that'd be comparable to what I've heard him do live, but he's a major talent.

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

Jeff Scheetz, local guy here in KC, fantastic shredder, good guy.

Another local KC guy, Bill Dye. Great blues player, and one of the only guys out there right now playing the blues on something other than a strat, Les Paul, or 335. Believe it or not, he collects and plays RD Artists.

Scott Holt, out of Knoxville, Tennessee. Saw him at a local club the other night, hot stuff.

B'nois King, plays with Smokin' Joe Kubek. The night I saw them, he got applause everytime he took a solo, and Smokin' Joe didn't. Great player

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

I've always been a fan of the underdog. So my list would be the well known but not acknowledged.

Ian Anderson - Jethro Tull

Eric Stewart - 10CC

Bruce Conte - Tower Of Power

I'm not a country fan at all, but this guy made me buy a country CD:

John Jorgenson - The Desert Rose Band (Check out his guitar work on "Price I Pay". Just incredible!)

Dave Tronzo is one of the world's great slide players, more jazz oriented than blues.. I learned about him from a record (yes, turntable technology!) and an article in your magazine a number of years ago. And saw him at a clinic he gave.. it was excellent!

Kurt Rosenwinkel, the jazzer, has appeared in your pages, but ought to be better known than he is. I saw him live once in NY and thought he was even better in person than on record.

Chris Proctor is one of the world's great fingerstylists .. again, I learned about him in your pages. He ought to be interviewed again, and also Peter Finger in Germany. I also saw Chris give a clinic.. and he played those beautiful pieces on his records beautifully....

And of course there are countless others.. these are the three that come to mind at the moment..

Archived