Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Calling Your Favorite Unsung Guitarists

Editor Boy

Originally posted by Gruupi:

I'll name some local Dallas boys.

Anson Funderburg- A great blues player. He is pretty popular in europe and I'm sure most blues players know of him.

Bugs Henderson- Good ol' rock and roll.

Rocky Athas- I first saw him in cover bands and then later he also did some hard rock original stuff.

Gruppi beat me to it.

I second...especially Bugs and Anson

Lynn G

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by A String:

...John Jorgenson - The Desert Rose Band...

I wouldn't put Jorgenson in a list of unsung guitar heroes. Between The Desert Rose band, The Hellecasters, playing second fiddle to Davey Johnstone in Elton John's band and being written up and/or writing his own columns in guitar mags John's been plenty lauded and compensated for his wonderful playing. ;)

I nominate Lauren Ellis. She's a wonderful fingerstyle and slide player who is equally comfortable on acoustic and electric, PLUS she's a tech who does all her own guitar tech work. She's a renaissance guitar woman. Oh, and she writes some damn fine songs, too. ;)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I think David Fiuczynski deserves a mention. He's a really cool player and has great licks and not to mention an innovative style in the way that he uses different parts of his finger on his fretless to emulate sitar and oud sounds.

In terms of forgotten greats - Richie Kotzen. This guy gets very little coverage (apart from in Japan) and he's an awesome player with great tone and feel.

PLEASE give some props to Jack Pearson .

A quote from his bio at his website :

"Jack has worked with many artists through the years including The Allman Brothers Band

('93, '97-'99 and 2005), Delbert McClinton, Lee Ann Womack, Groove Holmes, Faith Hill,

Jimmy Smith, Lee Roy Parnell, Tracy Nelson, Shelby Lynne, Dan Penn, and others too

numerous to mention. His guitar playing has been featured on studio albums by Gregg

Allman, Jimmy Buffett, Chris LeDoux, Bobby "Blue" Bland, The Bacon Brothers, Billy

Montana, Jimmy Hall and a host of others. And his songs have been recorded by such

artists as Gregg Allman, Tracy Nelson, The Allman Brothers Band, Jimmy Hall, Gov't

Mule, Johnny Jenkins and Lee Roy Parnell."

For forgotten guitarists I'd like to nominate Drake Levin of Paul Revere and the Raiders and Zal Yanovsky of the Lovin' Spoonful.

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Originally posted by souvenir:

In terms of forgotten greats - Richie Kotzen. This guy gets very little coverage (apart from in Japan) and he's an awesome player with great tone and feel.

Yup Kotzen rips and gets a great tone to boot

Originally posted by Mudcat:

A quote from his bio at his website ...

Thanks a lot, Mudcat! First you don't meet me for lunch and now you turn my on to a cool guit-cat in Nashville, three days after he played 3rd & Lindsley! :mad:

You'll pay, mein freund! :P

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Ritchie Kotzen got covered in a recent Guitar Player already. Oops?

What about the guy from the Blue Oyster Cult? From where I'm standing, his stuff was pretty kickass. The band sounded like the progression of Black Sabbath, but Eric Bloom's layed down some awesome riffs and leads! Very melodic, in my opinion.

Or was it Buck Dharma that put down the kickass stuff?

Today my iPod, which was set to shuffle, stopped at a Johnny Smith cut " Jaguar" and I was mesmerized...again.

Johnny Smith has an interesting story. As good as he was he gave it all up to raise his daughter after his second wife died.

This from a website on him.

* It was no different for Smith. In 1958, his second wife died, leaving him the sole caretaker of their four-year-old daughter, Kim.

"There was no way I could properly care for Kim while working 'round-the-clock like that," Smith said. "I asked a pediatrician if she'd stand a chance of growing up happy and well-adjusted under the care of a nursemaid, and he told me that chances were slim."

Despite his coveted pre-eminence at the high-rolling pinnacle of the jazz world, Smith chose family over career. *

Guitar Mag did an article in 1976 on him, cannot remember if GP has done a recent one on him.

As good as he was he deserves a cover to honor him and his awesome contribution to the guitar and to remind the new generation of the greats that went before.

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

Originally posted by Mudcat:

A quote from his bio at his website ...

Thanks a lot, Mudcat! First you don't meet me for lunch and now you turn my on to a cool guit-cat in Nashville, three days after he played 3rd & Lindsley! :mad:

You'll pay, mein freund! :P

I'm thinking lunch may be a distinct possibility in the next few weeks ---stay tuned for further developments! ;)

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

What about those guys on Bourbon.

Everytime I hit Bourbon Street I hear some real life honest to god blues players. Every single one of thier names escape me. But they always made Bourbon Street my favorite place to hear live music.

I had long ago given up playing guitar. But the first time I visited BS, I was reborn as a guitarist. I wanted the energy and the excitment that I found thier.

Maybe GP could do a column about local live scenes and do a short profile on each city.

Just a thought.

Some great suggestions already. I'll add three:

Steve Rothery of Marillion... 25 years of recording, working on their 14th studio album as we speak.. time to catch up!

Carl Filipiak. Just because he won't leave Baltimore to go to LA or NY? Still a very talented & respected guy who plays for a few or a few hundred at a time.

Stan Whitaker- Happy The Man had a comeback album the other year; and I saw him last month with his new band, Oblivion Sun, at their debut show.

Thanks for asking, Mike!

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

im not quite sure if this guy did or didnt get any recognition so ill name him anyway,Antonio forcionie,excellent picking up and down the fret board.if you didnt know any better you would swear ther was more than one guitarist,there is`nt.its just him
"The Bridge Above The River Is Only The Begining Of Your Fall"

Oh yeah, I saw Bill Frisell in Madison last week. Great player, beautiful tunes, and such a melancholy tone on the ballads. It's nice to take my girlfriend to a show and not have her just say "that guy gave me a headache with all that noise."

The original post by Editor Boy mentioned forgotten greats - I think that Tommy Bolin is certainly a forgotten great and he's one of my alltime favourite guitarists.

I don't know what to say about him, I just love listening him play. He had such a great feel for the instrument and played on some really great albums: James Gang - Bang, Billy Cobham's Spectrum and Deep Purple's Come Taste The Band are some of his more well known. He also has a great album called Teaser which is my personal favourite.

Another guitarist who I have great repsect for is Mick Ronson. I think he's worthy of the title forgotten great.

His work with David Bowie, during Bowie's Ziggy Stardust era, is fantastic and really kicked off the whole Glam Rock thing in the UK. Check out the excellent Ian Hunter album You're Never Alone With a Schizophrenic to hear more of Mick Ronson kick ass guitar playing.

My favourite Mick Ronson album is probably the Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars Motion Picture Soundtrack. This shows Mick in all his glory, he plays a few wrong notes but he really doesn't care and just goes for it!

Greg Koch

Neal Alger (Patricia Barber Quartet)

Sheryl Bailey

Kat Dyson

June Millington (Remember the band "Fanny"? She inspired many little girls to get a Les Paul)

"Sometimes it's easier to buy gear than to practice..."

Originally posted by gfred611:

Neal Alger (Patricia Barber Quartet)

I love Patricia Barber. The guitar work on "pieces" is spectacular :thu:

Rob Ickes

David Torn

Peter Maunu

Joel Harrison

Terje Rypdal

and who was "the Unknown" John Clark in Bill Bruford's band after Holdsworth?

Great idea. Hows about Elliott Randall, played with Steely Dan years ago. I had an album (those are round, flat vinyl things with little grooves cut in 'em) called Randall's Island that just smoked. Also like to nominate local guitarist, long time fav of mine, Rob Fetters of Psychodot fame. He's also played with Adrian Belew in a band called the Bears that is just really sweet music. Rob appears in ads for Kustom amps from time to time. Highly recommended ! :thu::thu:
I was born at night but I wasn't born last night...

Archived