Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Calling Your Favorite Unsung Guitarists

Editor Boy

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wanna nominate two more killer players who I once had the privilege to see play together:

- Dave Gonzales of the Paladins; he makes his vintage Guild sing on great rockabilly-tinged blues.

- Charlie Baty of Little Charlie and the Nightcats; they play every style of blues and Charlie's playing is always perfect for the song.

I can think of quite a few, so it's hard to narrow it down. Here are a couple who very much deserve more coverage:

Jody Fisher - amazing jazz player and guitar instructor.

Dave Martone - mind blowing shredder.

Year End Sale:

Save 20% on Jam Tracks or Exotica. Save 30% when you buy both. Sale ends December 31.

www.UnderTheGroove.com

For forgotten players, Randy California comes to mind, Then there are the guys from The Electric Prunes("I Had Too Much To Dream Last Night)and the Bubble Puppy(Hot Smoke and Sassafras), can't think of their names. Mike Pinera from Iron Butterfly, Rhino Reinhart from Captain Beyond, country player Phil Baugh, the guy with The Alan Parsons Project-Geoff something-or-other, the guys from Alice Cooper's original band. I am sure I will think of others...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Originally posted by gfred611:

Greg Koch...

Absolutely. He's got the most wonderful phrasing! :freak:;)

Great player, great amp.

On another note, I just don't get the comments about Bill Frissell being an unsung hero. He's been all over guitar mags over the years and he plays music that, while I love it, is not exactly radio friendly. What more do you want? In his world he's highly respected and loved.

I mixed a show for him 5 years ago that was pure heaven. Small place. Kenny Wollesen on drums (UN-REAL feel!!!) and Viktor Krause (Alison's brother) on upright bass. Very cool.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

All you guys are far too modest. I can't stand it anymore. We are all unsung guitarist and you know it.

Stand up and shout (turn up to 10), be heard.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/pappadopalus/Grover.gif

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/pappadopalus/madeaname.gif

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/pappadopalus/forefathers.gif

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/pappadopalus/70s.gif

• 3 months later...

These guys are known among guitarists, but around the watercooler, NOOOOOObody knows who they are:

Mick Taylor--melodic genius, slider extrodinaire, best vibrato i've ever heard: no two shows are the same--seamless transitions between slide and fingerstyle, blues and improv--the proper gentleman and complimentary player--tone beyond reproach.

Roy Buchanan--most guys here know him-nuff said

Buck Dharma--Modal melodicisms take my breath away--a giant among players. How does he not make mistakes?

Daryl Steurmer--saw him many times with Genesis as the session man and his jean luc ponty stuff from 30 yrs ago (with Holdsworth) still sounds fresh.

Chris Rea--underrated

Mike Houser--limited vocabulary, but so expressive and emotional, like Roy.

Denny Dias--old Steely dan

so many more:::: Mr. Mo, I've unsubscribed twice now because I thought you were reaching for mainstream=most sales (as you've stated), but this embyonic concept we're discussing is what still makes GP THE Guitar mag.

Gator

Mick Taylor is hugely undersung; while you might hear him on a Stones record any time you turn on the radio, he has gotten the least amount of press, and none of the songs that he really goes nuts on (Can't You Hear Me Knocking, Sway, etc)are the ones that get tablature! A Mick Taylor lesson would be a treat, especially if it dipped into his solo work.

Tommy Bolin also merits further investigation - again, a lesson rather than just another basic summary of his career would be great.

To add two more: Steve Hackett, ex-Genesis and GTR but great solo, deseves some love; and also, Joe Walsh! While JOe is much better known than most of these guys, his prowess as a guitarist does not get the kind of analysis it merits.

Thank you! JIm SHeridan

1. J Mascis (Dinosaur Jr) no one can play like that

2. Steve Malkamus and Ira Kaplan (Pavement) and (Yo La Tengo) beautiful slack rcok players with great sound.

3. D. Boon (Minutemen) cutting edge for that time and even now

4. Dallas and Travis Good (The Sadies) Incorporating all styles and genres in their playing and flawless live

5. Robbie Robertson (The Band) just underrated

6. Starcrunch (Man or Astroman) Catchiest surf since Dale with an added twist

1. J Mascis (Dinosaur Jr) no one can play like that

2. Steve Malkamus and Ira Kaplan (Pavement) and (Yo La Tengo) beautiful slack rcok players with great sound.

3. D. Boon (Minutemen) cutting edge for that time and even now

4. Dallas and Travis Good (The Sadies) Incorporating all styles and genres in their playing and flawless live

5. Robbie Robertson (The Band) just underrated

6. Starcrunch (Man or Astroman) Catchiest surf since Dale with an added twist

Wayne Kramer and Fred Smith of the MC5. Blows the piss out of Perry/Whitford, Hetfield/Hammett, whatever have you.

Richard Lloyd: Television, Matthew Sweet, Rocket From the Tombs

Robert Quine (RIP): Richard Hell & the Voidoids, Lou Reed, Matthew Sweet

Kevin Shields: My Bloody Valentine, Primal Scream. Unsung in mainstream guitar rags.

Ross Childress: Collective Soul

Yogi Lonich: Meredith Brooks, Buckcherry, Wallflowers

Jim Davies: Prodigy, Pitchshifter

And I still think these need to be on the cover as much as Jimi, Jimmy, and Eric:

Jennifer Batten

Regi Wooten

Fred Tacket - The list of artists he hasn't played with is shorter than the list he has.

Jackson Brown once said that the Pretenter was written for or about Fred but looking over the lyics, it is hard to imagine. BUT, Fred did play on every track of the album. The rest of the supporting cast of the Pretender reads like the who's who of the rock elite.

Originally posted by Gruupi:

I would be interested in a Mick Taylor update myself. I always loved his playing, and haven't heard anything about him in 20 years or more.

Gruppi I saw Mick taylor play aprox 2 years ago in a small village in essex (close to where he lives now) Uk Suffolk ans essex border.

He was excellent to say the least and still brilliant. he just jams locally with some friends etc...

so he is alive and kicking

Graham

Love life, some twists and turns are more painful than others, but love life.....

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=592101

Ross Childress: Collective Soul
DUUUUUDE I've been wondering about that one since like 2nd grade, what is he up to? I was sad when they replaced him. Grrr.

"My two Fender Basses, I just call them "Lesbos" because of the time they spend together in the closet."-Durockrolly

This has been a Maisie production. (Directed in part by Spiderman)

Archived