Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Thread Of Shame

Xplorer

I know you've all done it, so get the skeletons out of the closet and confess which piece of gear you let go like the fool you are.

Mine was this beautiful neck-through Lado. Bill Larence L-500 (possibly stock?) Floyd Rose Original trem, killer flame maple top. For shame...

I let it go for $180 to put towards my namesake Gibson Explorer Pro.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g30/scmcfaul/Gear05.jpg

I know it looks beat-up, but some of you will appreciate it for it's hard times. I truly suck for letting it go.

What a horrible night to have a curse.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Bluesape:

Hand built BC Rich Eagle - neck through, ebony, mahogany body, 9 volt preamp boosting the 2 'buckers. :mad::cry::freak:

...no you didn't.

Shame on both you guys.I cant talk though.Ill just list the most recent.I traded a heritage custom and a malmsteen rosewood for a maple neck one.I wont miss either one and if i did ebay i could have came out way ahead but i just wanted to get them away from me.Gear i miss the most was a beat to hell les paul custom and a fender blues deville amp.I got a music man axis and a marshall valvestate amp.Yes i know how dumb that is.Yes i kick my self in the ass.But its just gear.

Originally posted by Xplorer:

Originally posted by Bluesape:

Hand built BC Rich Eagle - neck through, ebony, mahogany body, 9 volt preamp boosting the 2 'buckers. :mad::cry::freak:

...no you didn't.
Yup - 'fraid so - made in Mexico by Bernie himself - no serial #.
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Originally posted by Xplorer:

I know you've all done it, so get the skeletons out of the closet and confess which piece of gear you let go like the fool you are.

Mine was this beautiful neck-through Lado. Bill Larence L-500 (possibly stock?) Floyd Rose Original trem, killer flame maple top. For shame...

I let it go for $180 to put towards my namesake Gibson Explorer Pro.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g30/scmcfaul/Gear05.jpg

I know it looks beat-up, but some of you will appreciate it for it's hard times. I truly suck for letting it go.

These were made in canada right?that looks like the Hamer californian.The stuff i get now im keeping.Ill just hide them if i get that feeling of cleaning house.

It was indeed built in Canada, Peterborough actually. I was talking with John Lado last year, he runs a lutherie school out of the shop. If I only had more time and money to back it!

When I was about 9-10 years old(about 1978-79ish), my brother and I got a late 50's Les Paul Jr. from a garage sale down the street for $5. Long story short, we moved overseas for about 2 years, and it got thrown away when we were packing up to move back to the States. We still haven't let my Mom forget about that one. I still get a slight sick feeling every time I see one like it. :cry:

Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker-Fender Guitar Course-1966

second revision Peavey T-60 (the one with the stomach contour). Black, rosewood fingerboard, "toaster" humbuckers with the covered blades. Traded it for an Aria Pro 2 ZZ Deluxe (a really cheesy looking Explorer ripoff). HOWEVER, it did go to a good home - a friend of mine who had to get rid of his T-60 due to paying bills related to his wife's illness was able to afford it. Still, I miss it.

Peavey Deuce 212 with Black Widow speakers. That sucker was loud, and while it had the solid-state front end it had a four-6L6 power amp, so when it got kicked up in volume it warmed up considerably. Great clean, distortion wasn't that bad. Really regretted getting rid of that one after Robert Quine revealed its "secret feature" - it had a line out for recording that sounded pretty good, and the kicker was that it still outputted even when the amp was on standby!

"I used to be "with it", but then they changed what "it" was! Now what I'm with isn't "it", and what is "it" is weird and scary to me. IT'LL HAPPEN TO YOU!" - Grampa Simpson

A "tweed" 1956 (1956, NOT a "re-issue") Fender "low-powered" Twin Amp, the one with two rectifier-tubes and four inputs.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I owed a friend some $$$ around 1988. I don't remember how much... maybe around a $100 or so. I got desperate and gave him my Peavy cabinet (I think it had four 10" or 12" Scorpions along with a Crate amp (actually in the crate) that my Dad bought for me- was my very first amp. I would run the Peavy through my Crate along with an Arion Metal Master. I guess it didn't bother me much at the time because I had my Laney Linebacker, which I STILL have.

Also, my first electric was a Kay I bought for around $100. I left it at a friend's house along with a no-name strat-style I had bought from a another friend for $40. I planned on refinishing it. But both guitars were lost once my friend's house burned down. I never pursued getting insurance $$$ for them.

Also, while I was at basic training my little sister let her boyfriend borrow my Metal Master. I never saw it again, and really didn't pursue him to get it back since I planned on buying better gear.

Oh well :D

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

A Late 60's ES-335. It was the most beautiful dark walnut color w/gold hardware, cream binding. Played beautifully too.

I sold it for what the going rate was around then (circa 1983). I think it was around $450.

Oh what an ass. :cry:

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

Originally posted by EmptinessOFYouth:

still got everything i bought, cept for a pro junior which i didnt mind tradin for my peavey classic 30

Give it time. ;) And then there's all the stuff that has somehow disappeared. There's heaps of stuff that I no longer have and I have no idea what became of any of it.

I'm really surpised I still have my Laney amp. I bought that sucker back in 1986. Heck, I even have a photo of the purchase, but I'm at work right now and can't access "Photo Bucket". I'll try to remember to post it. It's pretty funny... got the 80's hair and sunglasses. :P

God Bless :)

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

Originally posted by A String:

My Dad, wanting to go electric many years back, traded his Gibson Dove for a Vantage electric and a small practise amp. I bet the store owner was smiling that day...

I don't think I could do that, if I was running a store.

I'm just not cold blooded enough to watch someone trade themselves out of a great guitar without telling them they're out of their minds or throwing in a few freebies at the very least.

Whenever I sell anything on eBay I go through these major anxiety attacks, and that's via mail. I just couldn't look someone in the eye, smile and take their money if I knew they were doing something regrettable.

Should have kept:

Lado

Vantage

SG

Cort

Washburn amp

Gibson amp

2 x Marshall amps

Pignose

Korg pandora.

I'd love to have it all back. It was not worth the money to sell/trade/pawn for new gear.

(Stands up in front of the group)"My name is Bob and I am in the thread of shame" (sheds tears because of life's difficulties).

Crap, I've gotten rid of some nice stuff. When I first started learning to play, I bought one of the most beautiful Hamer Monaco Super Pros you will every see. The quilt top was amazing. I've looked at a lot of quilt tops, but this one was glorious. Here I sat with this $2300 guitar and did not know much more than a couple open chords. I decided to sell it. Doh!!! (bangs head on wall repeatedly).

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Oh, where to begin? Well, I had an Ibanez 335-style semi hollow guitar(very much like Scofield's but made prior to his signature model), and I traded it for an Ibaenz rack gadget that was worth MUCH less than the guitar becaue I had always wanted it. It sucked and I regreted the trade almost immediately.

Then there was the the 1980 Les Paul Heritage Elite that I had to sell for enough money to buy a crap car so I would be able to get around. That one relly hurt; it was the best Les paul I ever played.

Then there was the Regverend Avenger G I had to sell to pay some bills. I had just had an FAAS piezo pickup system put in it, and it was the best Strat style guitar I every played, plus the piezo made pretty decent acoustic sounds as well.

That's just a few, but I can't stand to remember any more. AAAUUUGGHHH!

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

I try my hardest not to sell anything but made a mistake by letting go a really lovely epiphone LP as i was buying a Gibson LP, sold it to a mate and too this day it plays easily as good as many many LP's I have tried, it was just a good one. he still taunts me with it, life is so unfair and so are friends......

Love life, some twists and turns are more painful than others, but love life.....

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=592101

Originally posted by Kramer Ferrington III.:

Well, what about prevention?

I'm thinking of getting rid of an Epiphone biscuit simply because I never play it and it has no bottom end whatsoever.

http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/images/50N/BISCUIT-MR_front.jpg

Am I going to regret it?

Kramer if you dont play it and you dont think you will play it, well maybe sell it, is it increasing in value currently or not moving?

If its going up hold on to till the top of the market if you can, but we must be all aware sometimes needs must....

Hope you make the right decision for you.

Love life, some twists and turns are more painful than others, but love life.....

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=592101

Originally posted by Kramer Ferrington III.:

Well, what about prevention?

I'm thinking of getting rid of an Epiphone biscuit simply because I never play it and it has no bottom end whatsoever.

http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/images/50N/BISCUIT-MR_front.jpg

Am I going to regret it?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Dont do it! If you fit some pickups you can get seriously fat sounds out of a reso.

Archived