Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Thread Of Shame

Xplorer

Originally posted by lee83:

Unless you dont play slide guitar... Then its pointless and you should give it to me :)

Well, I DID put a pickup in it, and like so many, many (many) acoustic pickups, it sounds like banging a rock on a tin roof.

It's a great little guitar when you have someone take care of the bottom end, but by itself it's kinda weedy and thin sounding.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I've never owned anything truly worth missing and, to boot, I'm a pack rat. So I've rarely sold anything.

But I'm an idiot, too.

I regularly carried a guitar to classes at Columbia College, whether at a school building or the many off-site classes at Chicago-area studios. A friend of mine's father owned one of those studios and we would kick back there many nights, recording, jamming or just shooting the breeze.

One night I finished class at another studio a few blocks away. It had been raining and, like so many others, my 1987 Dodge Omni had sprung a leak around the windshield. I had wrapped a garbage bag over it and closed it in the front doors to shield the leak. For some reason it had funnelled water into the leak rather than away.

As I stood on the street, cursing my luck as I pulled the bag away and attempted to place it on the soaked seat, I managed to put my book bag in the car but forgot about the hardshell case I'd set down next to the driver's side, rear wheel.

I drove away from my Lotus-strat copy and my brand-new Zoom 9002 processor. (Their first product. Cool effect device/rockman type headphone amp.) I went around the corner to the other studio, stayed there until well after 2am, drove 20 miles outside Chicago towards home before realizing the guitar was gone.

After waking up my buddy, who'd only just gone to sleep, to check the studio, I drove back into Chicago to check the parking spot. Of course, the guitar, case and processor were gone forever.

I filed a police report, but I doubt I'll ever see it again. That was 15 or 16 years ago. :freak:

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by ellwood:

In about 1980 I gave my son a 1956 Gibson Les Paul gold top in only fair to good condition, but a beautiful playing guitar. I went to Alaska for three weeks and when I got back he was proud to show me his DEAL!! yes he traded it for a bone stock standard American Strat!!!

You took him out of your will, right? :rolleyes::P J/K!!!

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

Originally posted by Kramer Ferrington III.:

Unless you dont play slide guitar... Then its pointless and you should give it to me :)

Well, I DID put a pickup in it, and like so many, many (many) acoustic pickups, it sounds like banging a rock on a tin roof.

It's a great little guitar when you have someone take care of the bottom end, but by itself it's kinda weedy and thin sounding.

Yeah you're not wrong about acosutic pickups!! You're aussie arent you? You must have heard of Ash Grunwald... plays pretty regular gigs round Oz and is always on triple J. He plays an all steel Dobro that comes out with some of the fattest delta riffs i've heard... I've been trying to find out what he does with his but to no avail...

Originally posted by Xplorer:

I know you've all done it, so get the skeletons out of the closet and confess which piece of gear you let go like the fool you are.

Mine was this beautiful neck-through Lado. Bill Larence L-500 (possibly stock?) Floyd Rose Original trem, killer flame maple top. For shame...

I let it go for $180 to put towards my namesake Gibson Explorer Pro.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g30/scmcfaul/Gear05.jpg

I know it looks beat-up, but some of you will appreciate it for it's hard times. I truly suck for letting it go.

How that dumbell sound? What is it pluged into? :D

Originally posted by Xplorer:

I know you've all done it, so get the skeletons out of the closet and confess which piece of gear you let go like the fool you are.

Mine was this beautiful neck-through Lado. Bill Larence L-500 (possibly stock?) Floyd Rose Original trem, killer flame maple top. For shame...

I let it go for $180 to put towards my namesake Gibson Explorer Pro.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g30/scmcfaul/Gear05.jpg

I know it looks beat-up, but some of you will appreciate it for it's hard times. I truly suck for letting it go.

Originally posted by Big Red 67:

HAHAHA!!! It sounds heavy!! But I'm on to heavier stuff now. The sustain sucked.
What a horrible night to have a curse.

I had a POS 1971 Stratocaster.

The ONLY reason I regret selling it in the early 80s is because silly dorks are now buying them for a grand or so because they think they're vintage.

I wouldn't give you .02 for most Gibsons or Fenders made in the 70s.

A Jazz/Chord Melody Master-my former instructor www.robertconti.com

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

Originally posted by GuitarPlayerSoCal:

The ONLY reason I regret selling it in the early 80s is because silly dorks are now buying them for a grand or so because they think they're vintage.

If anyone would like to sell a 70s Gibson or Fender, I will take them off your hands for $.04. It's a screamin deal to get rid of some old garbage, so don't pass it up!

Originally posted by GuitarPlayerSoCal:

I know what you mean, and LOL regarding the "silly dorks" comment. I had an early 70's strat but don't particularly miss it.

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

Hofner Arch top Jazz guitar....beautiful genuine Mother of Pearl inlays, an absolutely stunning hand inlay'd Fleur-de-Lis in Rosewood and MOP on the back and a MOP vine on the headstock. All the binding was MOP and rosewood and the guitar body was blond. The pickups and electrical hardware was identical to a Beatle Bass.

I traded it plus money for a used Gibson Les Paul I wanted really badly. I was not unhappy to see it go for two reasons....I was young and dumb.....and it did not play that well for my purposes at the time and it fed back easily. I was too stupid to realize it was a jazz guitar and a freakin' work of art.

I found out recently they only made a handful and are sought after collector items.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.......... where's my self flagellation unit.

UPDATE I found it ....here it is...the exact same guitar....was I a dumbass ot what? Bring it on!!!

http://vintagehofner.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/archtops/arch67.html

Ouch that hurts remembering.....that was a beautiful guitar!

Also:

Vox AC30 Top Boost, 60's model

Colorsound Wah Fuzz

Colorsound Volume Booster

Fender Blender

Peavey Bandit 1X12 Combo

Music Man RD-112 Combo

Vox Wah ...that was stolen

My Jumbo no-name acoustic that I scalloped the frets on

Originally posted by vikingrat:

Xployer,is that a camo or zebra bc rich?

It's a camo Warlock.

I just painted it up... not a factory finish

-Mesa Mark IIC+

-Ken Fischer Modded Twin (more or less tweaked to bring out the best, but modded sounds cooler)

-Martin Custom Dreadnaught (have another one, so that's okay)

-An original Ramirez concert model made w/ incredible Brazilian rosewood

-Early 70s telecaster (wasn't incredible, but I could've gotten a lot more money now of course)

-G&L F100 (just a cool guitar)

-Japanese Tokai Loverocks

-One of the early Klon Centaurs

-A beautiful British chick (accent and all)

Definitely a lot more but those are some notable ones...

Sam Tuliebitz

6th String Music

www.6thstringmusic.com

In 1984 I bought a blonde 1963 (pre CBS) Strat with a maple neck that was in fairly good condition. I only paid $250 for it. But the switch was a little wonky. So being the genius that I am, I traded it for a new one and paid about $50 extra on the new Strat (I got the new Strat for $375). I later saw the guitar I traded in for sale at $675. A new switch was a $5 fix.

I kick myself every time I think about that... :freak::mad::rolleyes::(

Born on the Bayou

Don't get me started...

My main pains...

A '67 three P90 Gibson non-reverse Firebird. Which I sold to buy...

A '63 Gibson reverse Firebird III (2 minibuckers, dot inlays). My dream guitar...but...I let some nimweeds talk me into selling it to buy a Les Paul Standard. Which was a nice guitar, but, I sold the Firebird.

And, an Alvarez-Yairi doubleneck acoustic.

Sold 'em all. This was back in the '70s and early '80s. I'm still kicking myself in the ass.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by BiC:

I'm really surpised I still have my Laney amp. I bought that sucker back in 1986. Heck, I even have a photo of the purchase, but I'm at work right now and can't access "Photo Bucket". I'll try to remember to post it. It's pretty funny... got the 80's hair and sunglasses. :P

God Bless :)

Here ya go...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v370/bic4jesus/LANEY.jpg

:D

See anything in the background that you like???

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

Bic LOL! I used one just like that Laney in a studio demo awhile back, a pretty neat little amp actually, it's that Laney on my SoundClick on the track called CAL. I think it recorded pretty good. The engineer/owner of the studio told us not to bring anyting except our instruments and that's the amp he had there!!

Originally posted by ellwood:

Bic LOL! I used one just like that Laney in a studio demo awhile back, a pretty neat little amp actually, it's that Laney on my SoundClick on the track called CAL. I think it recorded pretty good. The engineer/owner of the studio told us not to bring anyting except our instruments and that's the amp he had there!!

Yeah, I kept it all these years because it's a beefy sounding amp. I replaced the speaker with a celestion back in 93 or 94. The only thing now is the pots are acting up pretty badly... and I can't easily access them to clean them.

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

'64 Les Paul/SG Custom 3 pu

original PAF's gold hardware w/ Bigsby.

Also, Les Paul Custom, year unknown- white top, black back and sides. gold hardware.

"Who's gonna teach the children about Chuck Berry?"

Originally posted by Bejeeber:

I know what you mean, and LOL regarding the "silly dorks" comment. I had an early 70's strat but don't particularly miss it.

I went to a guitar show in Santa Monica last summer and I could not believe how the dealers were trying to pass 70s Fenders and Gibsons as being highly desirable...with the matching price tag. Several times I had to laugh out loud.

A Jazz/Chord Melody Master-my former instructor www.robertconti.com

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

Originally posted by A String:

Wow BiC! I think I just had a flash back there. I heard synthesizers and saw pink shirts!

If you want synthesizers and pink shirts check out the Music industry over here in England at the moment its like a freeking 80's revival. I thought I was lucky enough being a child in the 80's so i didnt have to live with the memories... But oh no it comes and bites you in the arse again. There also seems to be a massive 80's fashion revival going on over here... Its pretty wierd, 5 yrs ago we'd all get our photos out and laugh at how stupid everything was in the 80's now we seem to have forgotten that because some 'big names' say its cool.

Originally posted by A String:

Wow BiC! I think I just had a flash back there. I heard synthesizers and saw pink shirts!

If you want synthesizers and pink shirts check out the Music industry over here in England at the moment its like a freeking 80's revival. I thought I was lucky enough being a child in the 80's so i didnt have to live with the memories... But oh no it comes and bites you in the arse again. There also seems to be a massive 80's fashion revival going on over here... Its pretty wierd, 5 yrs ago we'd all get our photos out and laugh at how stupid everything was in the 80's now we seem to have forgotten that because some 'big names' say its cool.
Like I always say, "What comes around goes around... round and round!"

I'm telling you, over here 80's music is making a comeback. We have all the 80's metal/hair bands getting together and doing reunion tours.

I still remember arguing with my high school accounting teacher. This was around 1986, and he argued that bell bottoms would one day make a comeback. I thought he was NUTS! That taught me a valuable lesson. :D

Again, in this fast-paced world of our's, we simply like to reminisce about those good 'ole days.

Heck, how many of us had already gone out and bought some lone 80's CD we only owned as a cassette?

Peace :wave:

Archived