Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Thread Of Shame

Xplorer

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Big Red 67:

In Cali the kids are wearing low rise (hip huggers). It wouldn't be so weird if it was just the muffin tops (girls that have fat that looks like a muffin above the low rise) guys are wearing them.

Yup, I noticed that Morgan Webb on X-Play has taken to wearing hip-huggers on air (She's in Lost Angeles). At first I thought she just had her t-shirt tail out. But the t-shirt actually ended just above her hip-huggers. Man, I missed those... :P

Now, muffins don't do much for me and guys wearing them (hip-huggers) just look like dorks. But most teenage guys look like dorks to me anyway. What's next, guys wearing "elephant leg" pants?

My wife and I were talking about the phenomenon of other people looking younger as we get older. People who were 30 years old looked "old" to me when I was a teenager. Now I'm finding it difficult to tell people who are 30 from people who are 20.

Take Amy Devers for example (FreeForm Furniture and DiY Rescue on DiY network). I hear she's about 31 years old. But she looks 20 to me. I just can't tell anymore.

You know you're getting old when you see a teenage girl and her late 30 something mother and you ignore the teenage girl but you think the mother is _HOT_. :freak: Ah, well... :rolleyes:

Born on the Bayou

Originally posted by LPCustom:

.....My wife and I were talking about the phenomenon of other people looking younger as we get older.....

..You know you're getting old when you see a teenage girl and her late 30 something mother and you ignore the teenage girl but you think the mother is _HOT_....

You might want to skip talking about that last bit with the wife... :eek:

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

• 2 months later...
Originally posted by Bejeeber:

Originally posted by LPCustom:

.....My wife and I were talking about the phenomenon of other people looking younger as we get older.....

..You know you're getting old when you see a teenage girl and her late 30 something mother and you ignore the teenage girl but you think the mother is _HOT_....

You might want to skip talking about that last bit with the wife... :eek:
Weeeelll, I don't talk about the last bit with her. :D

Born on the Bayou

"Well, I DID put a pickup in it, and like so many, many (many) acoustic pickups, it sounds like banging a rock on a tin roof."

(Monty Python English peasant accent) There, see that? That's what I'm on about!

(regular voice) It's why I hate pickups on acoustic guitars. I mic 'em or I don't play it.

I regret selling my mid-60s Guild T-100D. Awesome blues voice. It's also the guitar Keef was playing in that famous clip from the Ed Sullivan show where he started to play the lick from "Satisfaction" w/out turning on his fuzzbox. (D'oh!) "Doink-doink...doink-doink-doink..."

:D

I traded this http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/pek63/35GibsonL5sb.jpg

for my SG.

I was a teenager at the time so it's understandable. I couldn't play the firkin thing to save my life cause my hands were too small.

It was my dads guitar so I'm actually interested in getting it back. Faint hope for that.

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

Holy crap I forgot all about this thread! And I cant beleive I didnt comment on the Lado before!!

Hmm Ive always wanted a Gibson L5, they are some nice lookin geetars. Can you remeber how it sounded? Unfortuantely ive never had the chance to play one.

Originally posted by Trucks.Of.Love:

Holy crap I forgot all about this thread! And I cant beleive I didnt comment on the Lado before!!

Hmm Ive always wanted a Gibson L5, they are some nice lookin geetars. Can you remeber how it sounded? Unfortuantely ive never had the chance to play one.

haha I think by the effort he exerts in a vain attempt to kick himself in the rectum, he remembers quite well. :D

As for myself, fortunately I'm a pack rat by nature, so I still have everything I've ever bought (except for the Crate combo amp that mysteriously "vanished").

This is a pretty painful thing to have to recall:

Guitars:

1974 Gibson SG Standard - Cherry

1980 Gibson Flying V - Alpine White

1967 Gibson Flying V (58 reissue) - Cherry

1985 CBS Fender American Strat - Olympic White 1987 BC Rich NJ Warlock neck-thru - Canary Yellow

Amps:

1973 Marshall 20W 2x12 Combo

1982 Marshall 4104 JCM800 50W 2x12 Combo

1982 Marshall 2205 JCM800 100W Head

The 67 V, 85 Strat, and 87 Warlock were stolen from my newley constructed home 2 months after we moved into it in 1987. Everything else listed here was either sold out right or traded up.

Kerry

Posted a similar thread on another site and it was a painful experience.

Guitars

Very Old Silvertone w/ LP shaped body

1963 Gibson SG Jr.

Old 60's Gibson SG w/ PAF's (bought used in 1970)

70's? solid brown finished mahogany Gibson LP Recording w/ the low impedence pups

60's Fender Strat - bought of a "Beachboy" era insurance salesman along w/ black faced twin reverb for $300

1957 Gibson Switchmaster w/ 3 PAF's!!! ..and probably the biggest mistake...which I still own

1968 LP Goldtop that I refinished to natural and replaced the p-90's with t-top humbuckers..that I replaced with DiMarzio's Ouch!

Amps

Silvertone tube amp

1963 ampeg tube amp w/ 1-12"

50 watt non master vol. Marshall w/ 8-10" bottom

Black faced twin

I will NEVER again sell a guitar or amp and they will bury me with the butched Goldtop and my Mark 1 #425

I sold my 1961 Gibson Melody Maker along with my old Ampeg tube amp back when I was in college for $100. I know the old Melody Makers were/are not the most desirable vintage guitars out there but I still wish I had it. It was a nice cherry red single PU unit.

Oh man, i bet that 20w marshall really cranked nicely!!

Indeed it did. I received that amp as part of a guitar/amp package from my parents for my 14th bithday, and had it until I graduated college when I was 22. Not even at the moment I sold it, did I ever realize what I had in my possession. I gigged with it all through college, and it was very rough to look at. I just wanted something newer. :rolleyes:

I stumbled onto an identical amp in a music store in 1993. They were asking $1,400 for it. My mother paid $375 for the same amp twenty years earlier. Talk about rude awakening.

Kerry

Originally posted by Fumblyfingers:

Hofner Arch top Jazz guitar....beautiful genuine Mother of Pearl inlays, an absolutely stunning hand inlay'd Fleur-de-Lis in Rosewood and MOP on the back and a MOP vine on the headstock. All the binding was MOP and rosewood and the guitar body was blond. The pickups and electrical hardware was identical to a Beatle Bass.

I traded it plus money for a used Gibson Les Paul I wanted really badly. I was not unhappy to see it go for two reasons....I was young and dumb.....and it did not play that well for my purposes at the time and it fed back easily. I was too stupid to realize it was a jazz guitar and a freakin' work of art.

I found out recently they only made a handful and are sought after collector items.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.......... where's my self flagellation unit.

UPDATE I found it ....here it is...the exact same guitar....was I a dumbass ot what? Bring it on!!!

http://vintagehofner.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/archtops/arch67.html

You were a dumbass. - i had one of those Hofners in my hands once, couldn't afford it but it is a beautiful guitar. No wonder you feel bad.

Originally posted by Hairfarmer:

Oh man, i bet that 20w marshall really cranked nicely!!

Indeed it did. I received that amp as part of a guitar/amp package from my parents for my 14th bithday, and had it until I graduated college when I was 22. Not even at the moment I sold it, did I ever realize what I had in my possession. I gigged with it all through college, and it was very rough to look at. I just wanted something newer. :rolleyes:

I stumbled onto an identical amp in a music store in 1993. They were asking $1,400 for it. My mother paid $375 for the same amp twenty years earlier. Talk about rude awakening.

Brutal. If only you knew...

I let a nice Gibson amp slip through my fingers.

I'll never let my Roland Jazz Chorus Head go. I've only lent it out once, to the band 'War'. I almost didn't let that happen, but I decided it would be cool to see my amp up on stage crankin out Low Rider.

I will be burried with my Explorer Pro and my JC-120H!

What a horrible night to have a curse.

Originally posted by Hairfarmer:

Originally posted by Xplorer:

I will be burried with my Explorer Pro and my JC-120H!

Gee,...Sorry to hear that. I was hoping to talk you into selling that Explorer to me someday. :cry:;)
I'd rather sell a leg! :D

No, I can't see myself adding my Explorer to this thread. If I do, something is seriously wrong! I'm thinking that guitar will be worth some coin in the future. It was a limited production run, now discontinued, and I've never played an explorer I've liked. The reduced body size and fancy details of the Explorer Pro make it a whole different creature than the regular old Explorers.

What a horrible night to have a curse.

I regret selling my Boss SE 70

The coolest digital guitar effects thingy I have ever owned. The reason I liked it is that it didn't change your tone at all through the loop. I mean it was exactly the same--at least to my ears. It also had a great built in tuner.

I almost don't want to talk about it cuz I am worried you guys will go out and buy them all up off Ebay.

Archived