Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Another Guitar Center Rant

Warthog

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaa! ;)

Yeah, I feel out of place, too--although not necessarily "uncomfortable". But then again I'm not much of a shopper of anything, so I feel out of place usually when I walk into such a huge store. Plus, I'm mainly a classical player so it's not surprising I feel weird there where the word "guitar" equals a Strat or a Paul. Like Gruupi said, that store is for kids, and the kids like it when they see long-haired or tattoed or made-up dudes as their sales attendants and/or teachers. They're there for the business, and that's apparently the winning formula. It's a huge chain, so knowledgeable staff, almost by definition, is NOT and will never be their forte. Although of course, this would vary depending on the location.

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just scored a used Mesa 2x12 cab with blackshadow speakers for 400.00 and he threw in the cable.They go for around 400.00 to 450.00

on ebay so it was an alright deal,plus it goes good with the Boogie DC-5 combo I have.I try to get there when they just open up before it gets

to wild,but I like GC like the guy said it's like

a candy store. :cool:

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

GC carries a lot of stuff. No doubt about that. And...you can get some good deals there if you work at it. I buy a lot of stuff from them. I know that they have some good employees....but my luck is that I always draw the idiot. Normally I have done my homework before I walk in and I already know what I want, so all I have to do is try to hammer them for the best price I can get and get the hell out. This last time I did not know what I wanted because I don't have much (ok, any) experience with PC based recording equipment or software. I was hoping that I would get lucky and draw a GC employee that had some idea (or at least a clue) and could help me come to a decision. I was obviously quite wrong about that.

Someone pointed out a parallel between GC and Wal-Mart. That may be the best comparison yet. You can usually find what you need, but don't look for intelligent life. As long as I keep that in mind, I think I can deal.

I think the two things that really chap my ass about GC the most, though, are the strip-search station at the door (that really does piss me off), and freakin' noise in that place. Most times it is next to impossible to audition an instrument (or even carry on a normal conversation) because of the pinheads butchering cliche songs at 10db above ear-splitting volume levels on out-of tune guitars.

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Originally posted by Sasquatch51:

I think the two things that really chap my ass about GC the most, though, are the strip-search station at the door (that really does piss me off), and freakin' noise in that place. Most times it is next to impossible to audition an instrument (or even carry on a normal conversation) because of the pinheads butchering cliche songs at 10db above ear-splitting volume levels on out-of tune guitars.

+1

And they got some stupid music busting out their own music system on top of that :eek::confused: !!!! ARE THEY DEAF OR ARE THEY JUST WORKING ON IT?!!! :mad:

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

There was one dude in there yesterday who was just shredding on an SG, he sounded pretty good actually, quite proficient. The problem was that I don't think he was auditioning the guitar or the amp, just showing off. I could tell this because he played for the whole 45 minutes I was there and kept looking around to see who was watching. Kind of cheesy to put wear and tear on equipment that you aren't even considering purchasing.

On the other hand, there's another store in town where every guitar has a tag that says "Ask for Assistance", so you can't even take one off the shelf without a salesperson nearby. That immediately turned me away. I could understand if they were very expensive guitars, but they were all Godins, admittedly nice instruments but not expensive by any stretch.

Originally posted by MILLO:

+1

And they got some stupid music busting out their own music system on top of that :eek::confused: !!!! ARE THEY DEAF OR ARE THEY JUST WORKING ON IT?!!! :mad:

Yeah, and when it all mixes together, it's just....noise. Loud, obnoxious noise.

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Originally posted by 7stringer:

Sauntman,it was actually one in Hollywood! I've never been into the Lawndale one. There is,I believe a "mom & pop" guitar shop very close to it-Gotham guitars,I think. Have you ever been in there,& if so,what are they like?

I have never been to Gotham, I did see a sign for it on the outside of the building where the GC is. I think they are more known for repairs, though I could be wrong. I have been to three GC's in the LA area, the one in Lawndale, one in Cerritos and one in Rancho Cucamonga. Also, been to one in Phoenix, AZ. They're pretty much all the same, but I think the employees can vary. For whatever reason, the store in Rancho Cucamonga seemed to have a slightly better selection of guitars than the other three GC's I have been to. There is something like 24 GC's in California and about half are in the greater LA area.

Originally posted by Warthog:

There was one dude in there yesterday who was just shredding on an SG, he sounded pretty good actually, quite proficient. The problem was that I don't think he was auditioning the guitar or the amp, just showing off.

I know that guy! He is in every GC in the USA and he always happens to be there when I am there. Not very courteous is he? :mad:

Originally posted by KPB:

There used to be a good store in Taylor too off of Telegraph. It's not there anymore. Damned if I can remember the name. [/QB]

I bought a 1971 Hiwatt custom 100 with matching 4x12 for $350 from that place...I loved that place! Can't remember the name either.

As for GC, we've covered this in past posts. GC does not pay for quality employees. Therefore if anyone has any talent and a good head on their sholders you won't find them at GC for long. It's too bad, but it's true.

Originally posted by Warthog:

So, I'm a 35 year-old, clean cut guy. Whenever I go to Guitar Center I feel like I'M the freak!

I really can't see what you're so upset about. I mean, you do stuff for a living that those guys only get to do on videogames. And you get to take the gear home, not just noodle on it in the store.

And I don't think either you or the guys in GC are freaks. You're all people, some of which are wearing makeup and piercings. Objectively, you're cooler than they are, cut them some slack. :)

I'm right with 'ya. The last time I was in GC (Friday), it was the one over by you. I was looking at the Presonus Firebox, microphones, headsets, etc. The kid that was waiting on me stopped in the middle of our conversation and took a phone call. He stood right in front of me and started SCHEDULING FREAKIN' GUITAR LESSONS!!!! His PART TIME FREAKIN' JOB!!! If he had taken 30 second or a minute and told the FREAK on the other end of the FREAKIN' phone that he would call him/her/it back, that would've been fine. He was on that phone like 10 minutes later when I got FREAKIN' fed up and walked out on his tattoed, multi-pierced weird-o freak little ass. I'm waiting until I get calmed completely down (so I will chose my profanity carefully), then I'm going back into the store and I'm going to get the general manager and this kid's freak little ass and we're going to have a Get-Close-To-Jesus meeting right in the middle of the store. Then I'm going to request a different sales person and buy the stuff from him.

Well...really, we got a responsibility too. It shoudln't be like that, and that is sure, but the thing to do (older people learn this...I mean really old. Watch 'em and learn :) is interrup him politely "excuse me, just one second" let him pause on the phone and say simply "I'm here now with the intention to buy something, if that conversation is more important then I can go somwhere else with my money". Let him know the decision HE is making. Taking a fish already on the line, over a fish that is nibbling.

If he chooses the guy on the line, talkto the manager, or send a letter.

====================================================

Check out my original music at

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/jacker

"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice,

but not in practice."

Originally posted by BluesWithoutBlame:

I'm right with 'ya. The last time I was in GC (Friday), it was the one over by you. I was looking at the Presonus Firebox, microphones, headsets, etc. The kid that was waiting on me stopped in the middle of our conversation and took a phone call. He stood right in front of me and started SCHEDULING FREAKIN' GUITAR LESSONS!!!! His PART TIME FREAKIN' JOB!!! If he had taken 30 second or a minute and told the FREAK on the other end of the FREAKIN' phone that he would call him/her/it back, that would've been fine. He was on that phone like 10 minutes later when I got FREAKIN' fed up and walked out on his tattoed, multi-pierced weird-o freak little ass. I'm waiting until I get calmed completely down (so I will chose my profanity carefully), then I'm going back into the store and I'm going to get the general manager and this kid's freak little ass and we're going to have a Get-Close-To-Jesus meeting right in the middle of the store. Then I'm going to request a different sales person and buy the stuff from him.

Well...really, we got a responsibility too. It shoudln't be like that, and that is sure, but the thing to do (older people learn this...I mean really old. Watch 'em and learn :) is interrup him politely "excuse me, just one second" let him pause on the phone and say simply "I'm here now with the intention to buy something, if that conversation is more important then I can go somwhere else with my money". Let him know the decision HE is making. Taking a fish already on the line, over a fish that is nibbling.

If he chooses the guy on the line, talkto the manager, or send a letter.

Yeah. That's why I walked out. I tried to get his attention after a few minutes and he gave me the old "Just a second" gesture and turned his head away from me. At that point he made his choice quite clear. I'm one of the "Old Guys". ;) Another thing I learned a long time ago is not to respond to a problem when you're really pissed off. If I take a little time and formulate my attack carefully, I can launch a devastating one for which they have no defense. Once I have them in apology mode in the middle of the store with other customers around, I have the upper hand and WILL capitalize on it. The trick is to do it loudly enough that people around know what is going on, but without being loud enough to be obnoxious. You have to put that pressure on them....make them feel the heat, especially the manager. Point out to him that he is the one responsible for this employees unacceptable behavior and try to make it as embarrassing as you can without directly attacking the manager. Then HE will bring the Wrath of God down upon the offending employee after you leave (with a sizeable discount for your trouble :P ).

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

From what I've read, most of the GP employees in question are low paid kids without any real training either in salesmanship or music.

I agree, cut 'em some slack, or find a nice way to tell them that, hey, I'M THE ONE WHO PAYS YOUR SALARY.. THE CUSTOMER!

Because that is the bottom line.. if the people who patronize your business don't spend money, the boss has nothing to pay YOU... and he needs the customers more than he needs you, anyway?

Or am I reality challenged??

Originally posted by Eric Iverson:

From what I've read, most of the GP employees in question are low paid kids without any real training either in salesmanship or music.

I agree, cut 'em some slack, or find a nice way to tell them that, hey, I'M THE ONE WHO PAYS YOUR SALARY.. THE CUSTOMER!

Because that is the bottom line.. if the people who patronize your business don't spend money, the boss has nothing to pay YOU... and he needs the customers more than he needs you, anyway?

Or am I reality challenged??

No, Eric....you aren't reality-challenged (at least in regards to this subject :P ). And, as I said..I would have cut him some slack if he hadn't brushed me off when I tried to get his attention. He blew his only chance when he did that. I was the customer that was standing in front of him with my money in my hand. The business he was conducting on the phone was his personal business and had nothing to do with the job for which he was being paid an hourly salary plus commissions at the time. If he doesn't have enough functioning brain cells to realize that, prioritize what he's doing and take care of the paying customer standing in fromt of him, then I don't think he deserves any further breaks. If he chooses to "shush" me when I attempt to point his out to him, then all bets are off...Katie bar the door...fight's on. I do not repeat myself, I do not beg store clerks to wait on me and I don't put up with a lot of BS. I'm the one with the money. I hope he learns something and does better on his next job, because he probably won't have this one any more when I'm done tomorrow morning.

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Originally posted by Kramer Ferrington III.:

Originally posted by Eric Iverson:

Psst..! I think you meant GC... :rolleyes::D;)
Touche! My apologies to GP employees, who DO respect their customers!

Unfortunately this happens in all areas of life nowadays. I recieved THE WORST customer service I have ever had from Hartford Insurance after someone broke into my car. All I wanted to do was get a new Insurance company after that experience, but no one could match their price, so I stayed with Hartford. You can choose to walk out of guitar center because of lack of customer service, but in many major American markets GC has pushed out the competion...So where you gunna go? We ask for this lack of customer service by demanding low prices...deal with it.

I have had good GC and bad GC experiences but in truth I could have had the same experience anywhere. People are the biggest variable in the experience and they come in more varieties than there are guitars on a GC wall. The worst service I have experienced was at a small store, the owner was a bitter old guy and he had no business and no products worth buying, I wonder why. My favorite stores are the small personble shops run by guys who love the same thing I do... But there is room for GC too. Three out of the four GC I have experience with rank well in terms of general customer service and product knowledge. I'm sorry the guitarcenter in chicago is the only loser on my personal list.
Live long and prosper unless it is a good day to die.

Originally posted by KPB:

Originally posted by flagshipmile:

Scanlan music.

That's it! I've been trying to remember the name of that place for about 4 months now.

My current LP is from Scanlan.

OUTSTANDING FlagShipMile!!! YEA! SCANLAN MUSIC!!! Me and KPB have been going bonkers trying to think of that store!!! They had some pretty good deals back in the day!!! :D:thu:

Originally posted by Museeip:

Unfortunately this happens in all areas of life nowadays. I recieved THE WORST customer service I have ever had from Hartford Insurance after someone broke into my car. All I wanted to do was get a new Insurance company after that experience, but no one could match their price, so I stayed with Hartford. You can choose to walk out of guitar center because of lack of customer service, but in many major American markets GC has pushed out the competion...So where you gunna go? We ask for this lack of customer service by demanding low prices...deal with it.

That's exactly what I'm doing. I'm dealing with it. If I didn't demand the best I could get for the least money possible, I'd be a damned fool. Everybody does, hopefully. The local music store (Ken Stanton) has things for the same price as GC, when they carry the same item. The problem is that they don't have the inventory that GC has, so they don't always have what you need. Just because GC discounts things and has a big inventory does not, in my opinion, excuse them from providing good customer service. And we consumers (with out checkbooks and credit cards) decide who stays in business and who doesn't.

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Originally posted by Museeip:

That's exactly what I'm doing. I'm dealing with it. If I didn't demand the best I could get for the least money possible, I'd be a damned fool. Everybody does, hopefully. The local music store (Ken Stanton) has things for the same price as GC, when they carry the same item. The problem is that they don't have the inventory that GC has, so they don't always have what you need. Just because GC discounts things and has a big inventory does not, in my opinion, excuse them from providing good customer service. And we consumers (with out checkbooks and credit cards) decide who stays in business and who doesn't.
RIGHT ON!!SASQ, you said it all, I ripped on that manager more than once, I will say this he had tried to address some of the things I have griped about!

There are two GCs near to me. The one in Fountain Valley Ca is 10 mins from where I work so I pop in during my lunch break sometimes. It's where I go to get strings, and it's where I bought my Squire Fat Strat and my Taylor 314CE. I have always been satisfied there. The Brea Ca store I have been in 2 times. I went there and tried out some acoustics one night. The guy in the acoustic room was quite helpful (mid 30s clean cut).

So, my experience at GC has been good. I enjoy going the GC and think they have a good selection of stuff. They may not have everything you might want, but they have something. I have bought stuff like music stand, cappo, sheet music, case humidified, picks, etc there. I have never encountered a rude or ignorant employee either, but maybe I have just been lucky. The people I have delt with offered me sound advice. Maybe the FV store is one of the better ones?

Oh one last thing, I took a guitar playing buddy with me when I went to buy my Squire and Taylor. He was invaluable because I knew I could trust what he was telling me. He's still envyous of my Taylor and wants to get one for himself some day LOL.

"I hate music--especially when it's played" Jimmy Durante

You have to drive a bit, but there is always an alternative to GC.

In Detroit it is Huber & Breeze. It is a vastly superior store to GC and they will give you a good price too. They carry all kinds of boutique amps and they have a killer selection of guitars and effects boxes, it is a spacious store like GC!! The salesman are very helpful. When a pro comes through Detroit they go to to Huber & Breeze not GC.

Archived