Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Another Guitar Center Rant

Warthog

Originally posted by flagshipmile:

You have to drive a bit, but there is always an alternative to GC.

In Detroit it is Huber & Breeze. It is a vastly superior store to GC and they will give you a good price too. They carry all kinds of boutique amps and they have a killer selection of guitars and effects boxes, it is a spacious store like GC!! The salesman are very helpful. When a pro comes through Detroit they go to to Huber & Breeze not GC.

I just went to the web they do look like they have a lot of gear,I got to check this place out.

:cool:

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by phil_harmonic:

The one in Fountain Valley Ca is 10 mins from where I work so I pop in during my lunch break sometimes.....

So, my experience at GC has been good....

Maybe the FV store is one of the better ones?

IMO, the FV store is not good when it is busy, like on the weekends. You got lucky because you're able to get away at lunch when it's not so busy and the obnoxious kiddies (and older) are at school or can't visit at that time.

I don't know why people don't mention about going to Sam Ash instead. :confused: I much prefer the Westminster Sam Ash store to the FV GC.

The employees at most SA stores I've been to had a better vocabulary than the typical GC "dood" vocabularies. (My apologies to the GC employees who can actually piece together a coherent sentence. I *have* seen competent GC employees, but they usually don't last long there.)

A Jazz/Chord Melody Master-my former instructor www.robertconti.com

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

ive never been to GC but it doesnt sound good. But not many music stores around me are...there was one, maybe it was a Sam ASh, they had this huge room full of acoustics and you could grab whatever one you wanted, no questions asked, and im talkin some expensive guitars here, and they had some rooms sectioned off you could take them and play em in.

I had good experiences at Sam ash too-got my Charvel there way back when. The guy got to know me personally, let me play all the ones they had before choosing one and listened to my playing too. Doesn`t get much better than that. But they can get very busy and very noisy too, comes with the territory I think.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Originally posted by Sasquatch51:

Originally posted by Museeip:

Unfortunately this happens in all areas of life nowadays. I recieved THE WORST customer service I have ever had from Hartford Insurance after someone broke into my car. All I wanted to do was get a new Insurance company after that experience, but no one could match their price, so I stayed with Hartford. You can choose to walk out of guitar center because of lack of customer service, but in many major American markets GC has pushed out the competion...So where you gunna go? We ask for this lack of customer service by demanding low prices...deal with it.

That's exactly what I'm doing. I'm dealing with it. If I didn't demand the best I could get for the least money possible, I'd be a damned fool. Everybody does, hopefully. The local music store (Ken Stanton) has things for the same price as GC, when they carry the same item. The problem is that they don't have the inventory that GC has, so they don't always have what you need. Just because GC discounts things and has a big inventory does not, in my opinion, excuse them from providing good customer service. And we consumers (with out checkbooks and credit cards) decide who stays in business and who doesn't.
Well, we have decided not only to keep GC in buisness, but also to make them one of the largest if not the largest chains in the US. I do not believe that good inventory or low prices is any kind of excuse either( and for the record I'm not impressed buy most of the GC's inventory that I've seen. 25 $99 squires on the floor is nothing but filler). What I am saying is, GC can offer the lowest prices in part because they pay their employees nothing. Unfortunately lately I don't expect excellent customer service from someone earning minimum wage. As the opperations manager at GC I used to do all the new hire and release paperwork for everyone that worked there. I could always tell the salesmen that would quit after they figured out the challenge of making money at GC. If in that first interview they were intelligent and hard working; I knew they would quit. They gave good customer service, and I'm sure some of them still do...Just not at GC. :thu:

Originally posted by comacoda:

I have had good GC and bad GC experiences but in truth I could have had the same experience anywhere. People are the biggest variable in the experience and they come in more varieties than there are guitars on a GC wall. The worst service I have experienced was at a small store, the owner was a bitter old guy and he had no business and no products worth buying, I wonder why. My favorite stores are the small personble shops run by guys who love the same thing I do... But there is room for GC too. Three out of the four GC I have experience with rank well in terms of general customer service and product knowledge...

We have a winner!

Many of you talk about GC as if they're cookie cutter stores with the same problems (and pluses) everywhere. It just isn't true.

The Nashville store is neat, if a bit crowded. The clientele is as much neatly dressed and groomed as mega-tattooed and body pierced. Maybe it's the area in general, maybe it's the presence of the music industry here. Whatever it is, they have quality salespeople who are knowledgeable, helpful, and ready to deal. Their selection is great, but if you want boutique amps you're in the wrong store. They have a few, but the boutique makers cannot supply enough for the chain's needs. That's a fact of life. You don't go looking for essentially custom, handmade items in a large chain store.

And GC is, by far, the largest MI retailer in the world with 1.5 billion in sales in 2004, according to this piece from CNN Money online. Even if you hate GC I recommend you read it. It's interesting and doesn't pull any punches regarding the challenges GC faces in hiring, buying and selling used gear, etc.

As comacoda said in his personal experience, I, too, had my worst experiences at mom & pop shops, with one exception. I was ripped off by a GC salesman in Chicago. But that was literally 20 years ago. A lot has changed since then, both in the industry and in GC's oversight of such practices.

They certainly aren't perfect. They aren't saints. But the Nashville location, for one, provides what I need 90% of the time and the staff are very knowledgeable and professional as a whole.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

I have had good GC and bad GC experiences but in truth I could have had the same experience anywhere. People are the biggest variable in the experience and they come in more varieties than there are guitars on a GC wall. The worst service I have experienced was at a small store, the owner was a bitter old guy and he had no business and no products worth buying, I wonder why. My favorite stores are the small personble shops run by guys who love the same thing I do... But there is room for GC too. Three out of the four GC I have experience with rank well in terms of general customer service and product knowledge...

We have a winner!

Many of you talk about GC as if they're cookie cutter stores with the same problems (and pluses) everywhere. It just isn't true.

The Nashville store is neat, if a bit crowded. The clientele is as much neatly dressed and groomed as mega-tattooed and body pierced. Maybe it's the area in general, maybe it's the presence of the music industry here. Whatever it is, they have quality salespeople who are knowledgeable, helpful, and ready to deal. Their selection is great, but if you want boutique amps you're in the wrong store. They have a few, but the boutique makers cannot supply enough for the chain's needs. That's a fact of life. You don't go looking for essentially custom, handmade items in a large chain store.

And GC is, by far, the largest MI retailer in the world with 1.5 billion in sales in 2004, according to this piece from CNN Money online. Even if you hate GC I recommend you read it. It's interesting and doesn't pull any punches regarding the challenges GC faces in hiring, buying and selling used gear, etc.

As comacoda said in his personal experience, I, too, had my worst experiences at mom & pop shops, with one exception. I was ripped off by a GC salesman in Chicago. But that was literally 20 years ago. A lot has changed since then, both in the industry and in GC's oversight of such practices.

They certainly aren't perfect. They aren't saints. But the Nashville location, for one, provides what I need 90% of the time and the staff are very knowledgeable and professional as a whole.

That is a valid point. Not all GC stores are the same. The store in Scottsdale, AZ has ties with Fenders Scottsdale plant and they often have custom shop items and oddball fenders that the other music stores in the phoenix metro don't have. The staff at that particular store are very different than the GC ten miles away in tempe.
Live long and prosper unless it is a good day to die.

[qb] I have had good GC and bad GC experiences but in truth I could have had the same experience anywhere. People are the biggest variable in the experience and they come in more varieties than there are guitars on a GC wall. The worst service I have experienced was at a small store, the owner was a bitter old guy and he had no business and no products worth buying, I wonder why. My favorite stores are the small personble shops run by guys who love the same thing I do... But there is room for GC too. Three out of the four GC I have experience with rank well in terms of general customer service and product knowledge...

We have a winner!

Interesting indeed, if you happen to be a business student. I`m not sure what this has to offer for musicians.

It says a lot about who GC is. Who they want to be. Who they train their salespeople to be.

As consumers I think that's something you'd want to know, Skip. Especially since this thread has largely turned to knocking GC for its' business practices, as a company and by individual dufus salespeople.

It offers a look at a company whose sole purpose is to make money by selling musical equipment. No more, no less.

If you don't find value in that, so be it.

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I've had nothing but good experiences at the Colorado Springs GC. Honestly, it is fourth on my list to shop behind a couple of mom & pop type shops and Pro Sound. That said, some of the kids that work there look really punked out, but have never treated me with anything but a great attitude and good professionalism. I don't mind the shred babys because I usually know just what I want get it, glance around a bit and bail.

I have found that sometimes they have a different opinion about what I *need* than I do, but I'm 55 and have been playing for 41 of those years so I usually have a good idea of what I'm talking about. It is fun to ask questions and see what the young folks have to say though. Most play, all love music and are fun to chat with a bit. Even us old farts can learn too!

Jamie

But never fear, you're safe with me... Well maybe. - Les

The funny thing is...a lot of folks have very different ideas about what "customer service" is.

Most of us can agree though it is NOT taking a telephone (especially a private conversation) call over a customer. But remember, for us oldies, this is the new "etiquette". Look at kids that age today, they can be together in a diner, sitting together, yet each one on the phone to someone not there, ignoring their companions...no on\e takes offense. When I was growing up, if you had company, and the phone rang, you took it but just long enough to find out who it was, then say "excuse me but could I call you back later, I have company over right now".

Those days are gone. Today, the young always take a telephone over a person right next to them. Mid-sentence. The person being "snubbed" doesn't see it like that and doesn't take offense. That's just how it is.

Here's another thing...my parents think of "good service" only as having someone hovering over them asking if they need anything... a lackey basically. I on the other hand, in a music store...want information, suggestions, someone that can haggle a little, but most importantly for big ticket items like guitars or amps, someone that can answer my questions and then LEAVE ME ALONE.

I mean, I CONCENTRATE when considering some new gear. I try as many different useful settings, check things, judge how I will feel about this gear in 6 months, try to find any deficiencies, think...I hate being in stores where they think service is hovering over you, pointing things out, etc.

The biz ain't easy!

====================================================

Check out my original music at

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/jacker

"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice,

but not in practice."

Originally posted by BluesWithoutBlame:

The funny thing is...a lot of folks have very different ideas about what "customer service" is.

Most of us can agree though it is NOT taking a telephone (especially a private conversation) call over a customer. But remember, for us oldies, this is the new "etiquette". Look at kids that age today, they can be together in a diner, sitting together, yet each one on the phone to someone not there, ignoring their companions...no on\e takes offense. When I was growing up, if you had company, and the phone rang, you took it but just long enough to find out who it was, then say "excuse me but could I call you back later, I have company over right now".

Those days are gone. Today, the young always take a telephone over a person right next to them. Mid-sentence. The person being "snubbed" doesn't see it like that and doesn't take offense. That's just how it is.

Here's another thing...my parents think of "good service" only as having someone hovering over them asking if they need anything... a lackey basically. I on the other hand, in a music store...want information, suggestions, someone that can haggle a little, but most importantly for big ticket items like guitars or amps, someone that can answer my questions and then LEAVE ME ALONE.

I mean, I CONCENTRATE when considering some new gear. I try as many different useful settings, check things, judge how I will feel about this gear in 6 months, try to find any deficiencies, think...I hate being in stores where they think service is hovering over you, pointing things out, etc.

The biz ain't easy!

Yep. I'm right with you. I'm stopping by that store today to speak to that manager. They already lost the sale. I bought the stuff from a local store, except for the mics and headphones. I got them from another GC location that I have better luck with. I think the manager NEEDS to know he has this problem....otherwise he has no chance of fixing it.

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Most of the employees I've dealt with at the North Austin Guitar Center are nice and helpful. Some of them are actually knowledgeable (usually the pro audio guys). Lots of kids go there to blast out a bunch of badly played power chords and heavy riffs, though. But the atmosphere there usually sucks b/c of that mosie plus the usually terrible cheezy rock music they have blasting through the store's own PA system.

On my first visit ever to this store I walked out pretty pissed off, b/c I went it to try a pedal and no one wanted to help me hook it up and explain how it worked (Boss Loop Station). It took a while until they actually stopped by to help and would not answer questions... they were like "buy it, you can return it". These were the punkster-type kids.

In Chicago, no one wanted to help me in finding an acoustic amp and pickup systems for my acoustic. I ended up going to a local store in Evanston, and bought a p/up and amp. Anyway thewse products were far superior than those sold at the time in GC.

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

RE: working in music stores in general.

I have no complaints about the service at the Sam Ash store on 48th St in Manhattan.

But often you walk in and there are TWO DOZEN guitarists playing electric guitar at the same time... two dozen different tunes in two dozen different keys (that's a joke, son!)... my question is, "how do the employees of the store stand the horrendous cacaphony?"

Doesn't seem to bother anyone else, though!

OK, to be fair, when I'm trying out a guitar, I'm in my own little world, too!

I was working at West L. A. music some years ago and Lee Michaels was getting a Korg 12 track Hard disk recorder from me.

There was one guy playing keyboards who kept ham fisting the music, ad nauseum...Le said "Why do some people come to a music store just to practice?"

Good question.

R

Label on the reverb, inside 1973 Ampeg G-212: "Folded Line Reverberation Unit" Manufactured by beautiful girls in Milton WIS. under controlled atmosphere conditions.

It says a lot about who GC is. Who they want to be. Who they train their salespeople to be.

As consumers I think that's something you'd want to know, Skip. Especially since this thread has largely turned to knocking GC for its' business practices, as a company and by individual dufus salespeople.

It offers a look at a company whose sole purpose is to make money by selling musical equipment. No more, no less.

If you don't find value in that, so be it.

Wow, I didn`t even realize someone had commented on my comment. Well to comment on your comment on my comment Fantasticsound, I believe that article only added some details, their aggressive sales attitude couldn`t be more obvious. Your summation of their modus operandi applies to a lot of companies, most I`d say. The only question that seems to be up for debate is whether that`s a good thing or not. In fact I would have to look back but I think I`m one of the very few who actually expressed concern about their business practices overall, most of the comments were about individual experiences. I`ve never dealt with them so I can`t say anything about that. I`m just saying that, given their megachain approach and obvious expansionism it`s not surprising they`ve got a big footprint.

Well, I did go back to the store and speak to one of the managers. At that point, they had already lost the sale, so I figured I could do them at least a small favor by letting them know they had a problem...they can't fix it if they don't know it. The GM wasn't around so I couldn't speak to him. The one I talked to seemed genuinely concerned, asked me a bunch of questions about my experience, said that he knew exactly who I was speaking of and that it wasn't the first time he'd seen that sort of issues with that person, and said that he would address the problem in a more final fashion this time (getting the kid fired was NOT my goal, but...xin loi...you'll get that sometimes). Apparently the kid had already been spoken to about that very sort of thing. They aren't even supposed to have phones out on the floor. That's why you hear the overhead announcements all the time saying "Attention Guitar Center yadayayda...Joe Blow you have a customer on the phone asking for you by name." Then they are supposed to go to a stationary phone and take their call and then get back to their station.

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

But it's not just about the corporate's business practices or attitude, Skip. I think it says a lot about how that filters down to the street level. Although, as you put it, most comments here are about individual experiences, my impression of those comments is that people believe that's a fair representation of GC people, their knowledge and attitude across the board. IME, that's just not true.

Sure, the prevailing attitudes of management will always influence individual store personality. But unless you have a fundamental issue with GC management I encourage you to check out your local store before passing judgement. Much of what has been said here is true. Some of it is only true in individual instances. You'll never know which it is unless you walk in their door and experience it yourself.

BTW - If I have need to buy something at GC or Sam Ash, etc., I never go on a Saturday. Saturday is Music Store Hell Day, with capitol letters all around! :D

In Nashville, Sunday is almost universally dead, or I'll make time during a weekday, for peace and quiet while I shop. But if you want to listen to the worst cacophony around, Saturday at most MI retailers is the place to be. :freak:

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

But it's not just about the corporate's business practices or attitude, Skip. I think it says a lot about how that filters down to the street level. Although, as you put it, most comments here are about individual experiences, my impression of those comments is that people believe that's a fair representation of GC people, their knowledge and attitude across the board. IME, that's just not true.

Sure, the prevailing attitudes of management will always influence individual store personality. But unless you have a fundamental issue with GC management I encourage you to check out your local store before passing judgement. Much of what has been said here is true. Some of it is only true in individual instances. You'll never know which it is unless you walk in their door and experience it yourself.

BTW - If I have need to buy something at GC or Sam Ash, etc., I never go on a Saturday. Saturday is Music Store Hell Day, with capitol letters all around! :D

In Nashville, Sunday is almost universally dead, or I'll make time during a weekday, for peace and quiet while I shop. But if you want to listen to the worst cacophony around, Saturday at most MI retailers is the place to be. :freak:

Well I tell ya what, no offense meant at all. I did read the whole profile, it seems like they want everyone to want to be excellent and proud of it. Nothing wrong with that. I did feel like the profile left me a little cold, like I was only reading about the surface. I would have liked to read less about how they get stoked and more about how they connect with their suppliers, how they connect to the musical community-more inside stuff, ya know? that would tell me more about who they are, especially since I can`t take your advice and see for myself at this point.

Although, as you put it, most comments here are about individual experiences, my impression of those comments is that people believe that's a fair representation of GC people, their knowledge and attitude across the board. IME, that's just not true.

But that is human nature. One of the very first things that you learn in ANY customer relations training is that you ARE the company. What you do and say and how you treat the customer directly reflects on the company. It's not just jive either. It is backed up and supported by a LOT of in-depth and painstaking study over a lot of years..(hey, big corporations are willing to spend a lot of money trying to hone the science of making more money.)

When that kid approaches a customer (or someone attempting to become a customer) on that sales floor he IS Guitar Center. GC will live and die by his words and actions. This one kid lost GC a sale totalling a little less than a grand that day all told (mics, mic stands and booms, interface, cables, monitors..). I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one that day that left in disgust and took business elsewhere...and I'm sure it happens every day.

Now here's another sad, but true fact. If I had had a GOOD experience that day, I would have simply taken it in stride and I may have told one or two people...maybe. Maybe I wouldn't have even mentioned it or thought about it any more. But...I had a bad experience instead. How many people have I told about that? Thousands...literally.

That's the beauty of internet sales from a corporate viewpoint. Your website is your pimply-faced, pierced, tattooed, irresponsible, unconcerned freak kid salesman....or it's your top salesman and star revenue generator. You set up your customer interface and it does that same thing every thime and treats each customer exactly the same way. Now you live and die by how quickly your pages load, the appearance of your site, how easy it is to navigate the site, how easy it is to order, etc...

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

And no one cares about anything except what they can get and how fast and how cheap they can get it. That`s the good news and the bad news. But I sort of jumped into something that wasn`t originally aimed at me, I know that so I`ll defer further comment.

I certainly didn't take offense, Skip. My point goes hand in hand with Sasquatch's last comment.

We all know that most people don't take the time to reward good customer service unless there is an immediate system to do so. (I.e., a bigger tip to a good waiter/waitress.) Even companies that make it easy for customers to comment, via pre-paid postage comment cards, 1-800 numbers and the like recieve far more "I'm upset" responses than kudos.

While it is true that kid lost the company thousands, and believe me I know cs is taught as "I am the company", the fact is these situations happen at almost every company, and moreso at Big Box stores, no matter whether it's GC, Target or Walmart.

I'm simply presenting the other side. I know there will be issues like Sasquatch's because of the inherent way the company treats hiring. It's inevitable. Size of staff comes into play, too.

So when I hear threads that castigate GC, Sam Ash, etc. that turn into bashing threads, it says as much about the consumers as the companies. Even if you believe every story (and I tend to, on these threads), the fact is they do billions of dollars of business, and most customers are either satisfied or outright happy, but of those a far smaller minority will ever comment about their personal experience except to their closest friends and acquaintances.

BTW - I am, generally, not one of those people. Just last week we called a shredding company to dispose of our old business documents. They set an appointment in a very timely manner. When the truck arrived, two men efficiently disposed of them for us, were complete professionals, and friendly, to boot.

They were gone for an hour before I phoned the company to let my contact know how pleased I was with the service, and that I will call on them again.

I love the effect, which can be heard over the phone, when you tell a company representative they've met or exceeded your expectations. God knows I love it when someone pays me such a complement. ;)

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Back in the day, it seems music store employees were way more knowledgeable about the products and way more passionate about the whole deal. In Los Angeles it is pretty bad in general in the Guitar Center and Sam Ash stores, especially the Sam Ash near me. I go there only because it is convenient, two blocks away. Often I do my research online first and often I will buy from AudioMidi.com also near me. Sam Ash has lost a lot of my money to them as I built up my home studio.

As an "old fart"I can stand the noise in a store, I just tune it out. The clothing and image does not bother me either, hey it's the "look" today, we all remember that, yeah?

But I cannot tolerate crappy service, slow response time getting to me etc etc or the dumbass salesperson taking a phone call, personal or not, while writing me up or in the middle of a sale. If it is busy, an "I'll be right with you as soon as I can" is all I need to keep me in there.If I don't get that within 5 minutes I am outa there, on the way talking to the store manager.

You know what, if you get treated poorly in any manner, stop by the front and request the store manager and bitch him out about it. Get that salesperson who does not care out of there. You are doing everybody a favour doing that. The store, the fellow employees who are having to pick up the slack for him/her and the salesperson as well. In fact if you don't get a apology from the manager, send an E mail to their CS and complain until you get a response. Give about 1-2 weeks for a reply. I believe it makes a difference, however small. It kinda makes me wonder what is going on at the corporate level that they cannot get really good staff in there, maybe the pay and bennies are just lousy, so it does not attract a career minded individual. My neighbour has been with GC for years now, and he does well, as a buyer. He stuck at it and worked his way up...old school! He makes good bucks, proves it can be done...the kids I see in these stores today, mostly do not seem to have a good work ethic.

It is your hard earned dough, they should respect that and treat you well.

Hi, group!

I'm a new memer, as of tonight. Found you while searching for info on refinishing an already once refinished GIBSON 335 (355). I'm glad to be here, and have a lot to ask, so it will be in spurts.

First, RE: the GC rant. I have fund that something has changed there...it's gotten worse. There are three stores in the Detroit area, and I've come not to like any of them. Even the things that I used to like about them have now changed. Last time I was there, I actually embarrassed a sales person who was giving a customer completely wrong and untrue information about some acoutic strings. i jumped in and made a bunch of corrections.

Enough about that. Is it worth takng my Gibson out of town to have it refinsihed well? I don't know of anyone around here who does that kind of work. Techs, yes...Mike Koontz, Jeff Branch, but since Paul at Pyramid did my Gibson years ago, I don't know of anyone else. Found promising ads online from NY, NJ

My friend Paul used to own Pyramid Guitars, and since that store is gone, I've rediscovered Huber and Breese. A GREAT store, which I missed for years becasue i lived on the wrong side of town.

The wildest storms happen BELOW deck!!!

our website is your pimply-faced, pierced, tattooed, irresponsible, unconcerned freak kid salesman

Am I making an inaccurate comparison when I state that the comment is no different than going lazy, greasy, fresh across the border-no spekke english Mexican?

I use Mexican as the example because, as a Mexican, I can use the example without offending anyone :)

Originally posted by Starcaster:

our website is your pimply-faced, pierced, tattooed, irresponsible, unconcerned freak kid salesman

Am I making an inaccurate comparison when I state that the comment is no different than going lazy, greasy, fresh across the border-no spekke english Mexican?

I use Mexican as the example because, as a Mexican, I can use the example without offending anyone :)

Yes. You absolutely making a completely inaccurate comparison. Being a pimply-faced, pierced, tattooed, irresponsible, unconcerned freak is a choice. Being Mexican isn't. I suppose being a "lazy, greasy mexican no spekke english" is a choice, at least the "lazy, greasy no spekke english" part.

I guess my point is that if someone came to me to apply for a job with the appearance and attitude that some of these people have, their application wouldn't even get read. Is that fair? Probably not by some people's estimation. Is life fair? Nope. Is it fair by my estimation? Yep...damned sure is. The way I see it, these folks knew that their appearance is a key factor in being able to get a decent job. They decided that the tats and piercings were more important, and that they would rather have them than gainful employement. So they can live with that decision. I do make decisions on hiring, typically the positions I make decisions on pay anywhere from $45,000.00 per year to $75.000.00 per year. They are customer-facing positions. I have trashed several applications and resumes because of appearance.

I would never do that because someone was Mexican. So, yes...your comparison is inaccurate.

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Originally posted by Starcaster:

Well, where I work these descriptions:

pierced, tattooed, irresponsible, unconcerned freak

and

lazy, greasy, no spekke english

will almost certainly prevent you from getting hired.

Whereas the description:fresh across the border Mexican will not prevent you from being hired.

Where I work, coming to your interview with large exposed tattoos, facial piercings (including tongue), being unwashed/greasy, having unkempt or wildly colored hair, or acting spaced out or like a freak will get you a short interview and your application and resume filed in the "unsuitable" file.

But most of the people who work in Guitar Center would probably never even think about applying for a job with the company where I work. Most have probably never even heard of it.

Born on the Bayou

Archived