Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Another Guitar Center Rant

Warthog

Originally posted by LPCustom:

Originally posted by Starcaster:

our website is your pimply-faced, pierced, tattooed, irresponsible, unconcerned freak kid salesman

Am I making an inaccurate comparison when I state that the comment is no different than going lazy, greasy, fresh across the border-no spekke english Mexican?

I use Mexican as the example because, as a Mexican, I can use the example without offending anyone :)

Well, where I work these descriptions:

pierced, tattooed, irresponsible, unconcerned freak

and

lazy, greasy, no spekke english

will almost certainly prevent you from getting hired.

Whereas the description:fresh across the border Mexican will not prevent you from being hired.

Where I work, coming to your interview with large exposed tattoos, facial piercings (including tongue), being unwashed/greasy, having unkempt or wildly colored hair, or acting spaced out or like a freak will get you a short interview and your application and resume filed in the "unsuitable" file.

But most of the people who work in Guitar Center would probably never even think about applying for a job with the company where I work. Most have probably never even heard of it.

Well yea that LP and none of them could work in a engineering enviroment anyway!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Sasquatch51:

our website is your pimply-faced, pierced, tattooed, irresponsible, unconcerned freak kid salesman

Am I making an inaccurate comparison when I state that the comment is no different than going lazy, greasy, fresh across the border-no spekke english Mexican?

I use Mexican as the example because, as a Mexican, I can use the example without offending anyone :)

Yes. You absolutely making a completely inaccurate comparison. Being a pimply-faced, pierced, tattooed, irresponsible, unconcerned freak is a choice. Being Mexican isn't. I suppose being a "lazy, greasy mexican no spekke english" is a choice, at least the "lazy, greasy no spekke english" part.

I guess my point is that if someone came to me to apply for a job with the appearance and attitude that some of these people have, their application wouldn't even get read. Is that fair? Probably not by some people's estimation. Is life fair? Nope. Is it fair by my estimation? Yep...damned sure is. The way I see it, these folks knew that their appearance is a key factor in being able to get a decent job. They decided that the tats and piercings were more important, and that they would rather have them than gainful employement. So they can live with that decision. I do make decisions on hiring, typically the positions I make decisions on pay anywhere from $45,000.00 per year to $75.000.00 per year. They are customer-facing positions. I have trashed several applications and resumes because of appearance.

I would never do that because someone was Mexican. So, yes...your comparison is inaccurate.

¡No le conocía donde mexicano! ¡Déjeme practicar en usted entonces la ha ha! Deja para ver cuánta gente de habla hispana tenemos en aquí mi amigo. Pienso sí que costumbre del LP está correcto sobre su gravamen de criterios hireing. Es bueno conseguir practicar mi español esta manera. ¡Deja para ver cómo puede poblar responden en español apenas para la diversión!

Originally posted by ellwood:

Yes. You absolutely making a completely inaccurate comparison. Being a pimply-faced, pierced, tattooed, irresponsible, unconcerned freak is a choice. Being Mexican isn't. I suppose being a "lazy, greasy mexican no spekke english" is a choice, at least the "lazy, greasy no spekke english" part.

I guess my point is that if someone came to me to apply for a job with the appearance and attitude that some of these people have, their application wouldn't even get read. Is that fair? Probably not by some people's estimation. Is life fair? Nope. Is it fair by my estimation? Yep...damned sure is. The way I see it, these folks knew that their appearance is a key factor in being able to get a decent job. They decided that the tats and piercings were more important, and that they would rather have them than gainful employement. So they can live with that decision. I do make decisions on hiring, typically the positions I make decisions on pay anywhere from $45,000.00 per year to $75.000.00 per year. They are customer-facing positions. I have trashed several applications and resumes because of appearance.

I would never do that because someone was Mexican. So, yes...your comparison is inaccurate.

¡No le conocía donde mexicano! ¡Déjeme practicar en usted entonces la ha ha! Deja para ver cuánta gente de habla hispana tenemos en aquí mi amigo. Pienso sí que costumbre del LP está correcto sobre su gravamen de criterios hireing. Es bueno conseguir practicar mi español esta manera. ¡Deja para ver cómo puede poblar responden en español apenas para la diversión!
No sabía que él era Mexicano tampoco. La gente joven no entiende a veces consecuencias. Toman a veces decisiones mal sin el pensamiento de la significación. Cuando son más viejos lo lamentan.

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

What I mean to say is, that adding "teenager" at the end of the indictment that Sasquatch makes appears to make a generalization about all the employees or otherwise seems geared toward a negative remark about all teenagers. It's made all the worse when put at the opposite end of the spectrum to "top salesmen" which has the notable lack of the slur "teenager."

If I'm not making too much sense, I either didn't make my abstract point or I'm wrong. Either way, I'm one year away from legal adulthood so I won't have to worry about these quarrels anyways.

And uh, no soy cien por-ciento mexicano; naci en California y mi papa tambien es nativo de los Estados Unidos. Soy un mexicano de la generacion segunda. Todavia puedo hablar espanol, pero hablo el ingles mucho mas bien. Y no uso los accentos :)

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

I certainly didn't take offense, Skip. My point goes hand in hand with Sasquatch's last comment.

We all know that most people don't take the time to reward good customer service unless there is an immediate system to do so. (I.e., a bigger tip to a good waiter/waitress.) Even companies that make it easy for customers to comment, via pre-paid postage comment cards, 1-800 numbers and the like recieve far more "I'm upset" responses than kudos.

While it is true that kid lost the company thousands, and believe me I know cs is taught as "I am the company", the fact is these situations happen at almost every company, and moreso at Big Box stores, no matter whether it's GC, Target or Walmart.

I'm simply presenting the other side. I know there will be issues like Sasquatch's because of the inherent way the company treats hiring. It's inevitable. Size of staff comes into play, too.

So when I hear threads that castigate GC, Sam Ash, etc. that turn into bashing threads, it says as much about the consumers as the companies. Even if you believe every story (and I tend to, on these threads), the fact is they do billions of dollars of business, and most customers are either satisfied or outright happy, but of those a far smaller minority will ever comment about their personal experience except to their closest friends and acquaintances.

BTW - I am, generally, not one of those people. Just last week we called a shredding company to dispose of our old business documents. They set an appointment in a very timely manner. When the truck arrived, two men efficiently disposed of them for us, were complete professionals, and friendly, to boot.

They were gone for an hour before I phoned the company to let my contact know how pleased I was with the service, and that I will call on them again.

I love the effect, which can be heard over the phone, when you tell a company representative they've met or exceeded your expectations. God knows I love it when someone pays me such a complement. ;)

I think you have a point but it runs up against a widespread perception that when someone`s service meets your expectations, they`re doing what they get paid for. Indeed, when someone gets singled out for praise in a work environment, what`s the comment you`re most likely to hear-"just doing my job." It may seem exceptional because of the number of bungling buffoons out there, but unless there`s an emergency or unusual circumstance that requires the service person to go above and beyond his duties-in which case there`s no question that a phone call or note of thanks is in order and the customer is being lazy if they don`t-the view is that no news is good news. Is that good, probably not.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Re: dressing appropriately for the job at hand when applying.. well, that's simple common sense, isn't it?

Re: Mexicans who don't speak English.. well, certainly Mexicans who come to the USA to live and work should make an attempt to learn English, because it is the dominant language of the country...as a matter of common sense. If I moved to Mexico, I would endeavor to learn Spanish! But the fact that they don't speak English doesn't make them stupid.. they speak their native tongue as well as we do OURS!

Food for thought from a bilingual guy who lived in El Paso and Ciudad Juarez for a few years..

Re: how companies approach hiring: it's the bottom line, they want to hire people who work cheap! Whether that's wise in the long run, or "penny wise, pound foolish is another question."

Originally posted by Taylorholic:

Hi, group!

I'm a new memer, as of tonight. Found you while searching for info on refinishing an already once refinished GIBSON 335 (355). I'm glad to be here, and have a lot to ask, so it will be in spurts.

First, RE: the GC rant. I have fund that something has changed there...it's gotten worse. There are three stores in the Detroit area, and I've come not to like any of them. Even the things that I used to like about them have now changed. Last time I was there, I actually embarrassed a sales person who was giving a customer completely wrong and untrue information about some acoutic strings. i jumped in and made a bunch of corrections.

Enough about that. Is it worth takng my Gibson out of town to have it refinsihed well? I don't know of anyone around here who does that kind of work. Techs, yes...Mike Koontz, Jeff Branch, but since Paul at Pyramid did my Gibson years ago, I don't know of anyone else. Found promising ads online from NY, NJ

My friend Paul used to own Pyramid Guitars, and since that store is gone, I've rediscovered Huber and Breese. A GREAT store, which I missed for years becasue i lived on the wrong side of town.

Welcome!

I don't know anyone in the Detroit area but if you're not opposed to coming to Wisconsin, contact Denny Rauen. He does unbelieveably good work and (to stay on topic) his customer service is first rate.

Enough about that. Is it worth takng my Gibson out of town to have it refinsihed well? I don't know of anyone around here who does that kind of work. Techs, yes...Mike Koontz, Jeff Branch, but since Paul at Pyramid did my Gibson years ago, I don't know of anyone else. Found promising ads online from NY, NJ

ellwood's from Detroit. Maybe you could PM (private message) him?

Hi, group!

I'm a new memer, as of tonight. Found you while searching for info on refinishing an already once refinished GIBSON 335 (355). I'm glad to be here, and have a lot to ask, so it will be in spurts.

First, RE: the GC rant. I have fund that something has changed there...it's gotten worse. There are three stores in the Detroit area, and I've come not to like any of them. Even the things that I used to like about them have now changed. Last time I was there, I actually embarrassed a sales person who was giving a customer completely wrong and untrue information about some acoutic strings. i jumped in and made a bunch of corrections.

My friend Paul used to own Pyramid Guitars, and since that store is gone, I've rediscovered Huber and Breese. A GREAT store, which I missed for years becasue i lived on the wrong side of town.

Hi there Taylorhaluic and welcome to the Forum and glad to see you are in the Detroit area with me! Well my guy is Jeff Branch and you meantioned him in your post ..what a great guy he is for sure! he has done my work for many years. Ok on the refinishing, if Jeff does not recommend anyone I would be suprised (have you asked him?) I will nose around for you too I bet my buddy Robert Noll know someone that is really good.. I will get back to you ...LEE in Franklin 48025

I was at Guitar Center yesterday. This Keyboard sales guy is playing some Techno crap REALLY loud. So, I go over and ask him to turn it down cuz it's too loud. He looks at me and says, very sarcastically, "Oh, it's too loud." I took him to mean this is Guitar Center and we have the right to be aholes and play things extremely loud what did you expect?

Hi, group!

There was a great luthier in NJ named Sam Koontz who did work for Pat Martino, among many others. Could Mike Koontz possibly be related?

CraigT, I hope you made this an issue with his manager. He's not helping you or the store with that attitude.

Neil, was it Iron Mountain that did the disposal work for you? They do us and they too are one of the most completely organized professional outfits I have ever worked with!

Nope. Iron Mountain has a big local presence, but I used a local, Shred-it, who happen to be a block from our location. I see plenty of Iron Mountain trucks in and around Nashville, though.

Originally posted by FumbleFingers:

...It kinda makes me wonder what is going on at the corporate level that they cannot get really good staff in there, maybe the pay and bennies are just lousy, so it does not attract a career minded individual...

They make it near impossible to make a decent living unless you're a salesperson who can sell "ice to eskimos, sand in the sahara". Of course, most guys who can sell like that could make a lot more money in other sales environments. They have to want to be there for other reasons. (discount gear, flexible hours that mesh with gigging) to keep the really good salespeople.

Only at Sweetwater and Gand Music & Sound (suburban Chicago) have I seen MI retail stores aimed at all musicians and engineers have I seen a career mentality fostered in salespeople. Guitar Center talks the talk, but it's only a few exceptional salespeople who will make a career of it and move through the ranks to management. Most don't want management. They want a place to squat in the industry in support of their music career.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

quote:

Am I making an inaccurate comparison when I state that the comment is no different than going
lazy, greasy, fresh across the border-no spekke english Mexican
?

I use Mexican as the example because, as a Mexican, I can use the example without offending anyone
:)

No sabía que él era Mexicano tampoco. La gente joven no entiende a veces consecuencias. Toman a veces decisiones mal sin el pensamiento de la significación. Cuando son más viejos lo lamentan.

Sé sí que aprendemos a veces la manera difícil y que no escuchamos una más vieja gente que ha aprendido por la experiencia. ¡Demasiado malo, no obstante tiene allways sidos esta manera! Como un adolescente yo hizo la misma cosa con mis padres. Todo lo que cand lo hacemos es intento les ayuda también. LEE

Hi, group!

Well, the best place to take your Gibson to get it refinished would Gibson's custom shop. But you could probably buy a new one (or maybe two) for what they'd charge. :freak:

Born on the Bayou

• 1 month later...

Heyas.....i'm new here...came across this site searching on Pyramid Guitars ..in redford.

Anywho...i've recently gotten back into playing guitar after a long long time.

My 1st guitar was taken to Pyramid right of the shelf ....where the frets were filed/crowned...and had taken it back at least once a year to have the neck checked.....and one time to replace a torn out fret (Got a little overzealous at a gig one night)...well this was back in the late 70's.

I went to (and don't laugh) Guitar Center and picked up a brand new Les Paul Classic w/ 60's style neck.

Anyway..my Q is....should i take it somewhere to have the frets crowned and filed or leave it as is?

There no buzz in any strings aywhere on the board..but i'd like to have it in tip top playing shape.

If you bought a new guitar what would you do?......and any suggestions as to where to take it to be done?...as Pyarmid Guitars is no longer there.

Any respones would be greatly appreciated

i am in Southeastern Michigan.

Michigan area you might go see Joe Naylor of Reverend fame...he could point you right and there's not a nicer guy in the world. That and you would have a chance to play one of these:

http://www.reverendguitars.com/reverend/images/guitars/chrome_elite_series/usa_chrome_elite_large/slingshot_cust_hot_rod_fla.jpg

Man I'm drooling...

Archived