Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

He's just topped the UK album charts at age 80. Just had a listen to the album - very tasty indeed. Has a slight vibe of Johnny Cash's last couple of albums. And that voice is still kicking it :thu:

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He is quite a talented guy. An excellent natural singer and I'm glad he got the break because we get to hear the music.

It's not unusual for him to record a good album. ;)

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com

Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

Age is a number...think how long Stephane Grappelli did his thing! IIRC he was still touring just before his death at 89. You've got me curious, I'll have to see what Tom Jones is up to these days. :thu:

I do think it's ironic that my music has gotten much better as I've gotten older. If it keeps going on this trajectory, I'll be really, really good when I'm 172 :)

Age is a number...think how long Stephane Grappelli did his thing! IIRC he was still touring just before his death at 89. You've got me curious, I'll have to see what Tom Jones is up to these days. :thu:

I do think it's ironic that my music has gotten much better as I've gotten older. If it keeps going on this trajectory, I'll be really, really good when I'm 172 :)

I think for me it'll be more like 245. Will be interested to see what you think of the album. The comparison with Cash is for the obvious mortality themes etc :thu:

He's never made it on range, or screaming or growling. Just pure voice and excellent timing. That was a voice meant to last. Same with Gladys Knight. She never made a career out of trying to sing higher and louder, just better. Last time I heard her she still sounded wonderful. There is something to be appreciated about a pure voice, interesting inflections, good timing and hitting the notes in your range.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I have not heard his last album, but he is indeed a musical chameleon, much like Bowie was ( but not in a comparing meaning).

He is able to fit to the time with his music.

When I was a kid, my parents played his records when they had party"s - Delilah, The Green green grass of home and so on, and I tough that it was a bit â¦â¦. cheasy.

Today, I think he is a great singer.

We just practiced a 'new' song with my band, Otis Reddings Hard to handle ( more over in the Black Crows style), but just had a listening on Tom Jones live version from 69, it is great.

[video:youtube]

/Bjørn - old gearjunkie, still with lot of GAS

• 1 month later...