Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Two keyboards to one volume pedal

My current rig at church gigs is this:

(a) Kronos left and right output to left and right input of Motion Sound KBR-3D.

(b) CX-3 mono output to mono input on rotary channel of Motion Sound KBR-3D

On any given Sunday, I alternate between the two keyboards during our sets and sometimes within songs (I never play both boards simultaneously).

I am looking for one heavy duty pedal to control the volume of both keyboards. I'm guessing it would have to have three or four inputs to accept the line outs from both boards.

Suggestions?

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Kronos 88, Korg CX-3, Motion Sound KBR-3D

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd use a simple line-level mixer to combine signals from the keyboards, then route through a stereo volume pedal.

Here's a simple mixer option for you: https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/rolls-mx28-mini-mix-vi/632003000000000?cntry=US&cur=USD&source=3WWRWXGS&gclid=Cj0KCQiA1KiBBhCcARIsAPWqoSrScgd8w_DLI-ROwZzx_BYYHEb8EzHjItO6y1wMmwyG-g3vksGX5moaAiRKEALw_wcB

For stereo pedals, I still occasionally use my vintage Morley SVO pedal or my Yamaha FC9.

Lou

Maybe not with a pedal. A 4 channel stereo mixer could do that, just turn the balance control from hard left to hard right.

On songs where you use both boards, put it in the middle and they'll both work.

If each board needs to be stereo in the house, you've escalated the solution to something more complex and esoteric. Add in the single pedal requirement and it's probably a custom job.

2 expression pedals set for volume would probably be the simplest and involve the fewest connections.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I'd use a simple line-level mixer to combine signals from the keyboards, then route through a stereo volume pedal.

Here's a simple mixer option for you: https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/rolls-mx28-mini-mix-vi/632003000000000?cntry=US&cur=USD&source=3WWRWXGS&gclid=Cj0KCQiA1KiBBhCcARIsAPWqoSrScgd8w_DLI-ROwZzx_BYYHEb8EzHjItO6y1wMmwyG-g3vksGX5moaAiRKEALw_wcB

For stereo pedals, I still occasionally use my vintage Morley SVO pedal or my Yamaha FC9.

Lou

But he's sending different signals to different inputs on the amp--mono from one board to one signal path, stereo from the other to another.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Lou

But he's sending different signals to different inputs on the amp--mono from one board to one signal path, stereo from the other to another.

I'm not really seeing how something that is a problem for a mixer isn't also a problem for a single volume pedal.

Keyboards: Nord Electro 6D 73, Korg SV-1 88, Minilogue XD, Yamaha YPG-625

Bonus: Boss RC-3 Loopstation

2 expression pedals set for volume would probably be the simplest and involve the fewest connections.

And you could always velcro a small board to the top and use them as a single pedal.

I"ve done this. Two pedals, close together using right angle plugs. I didn"t even need to 'physically" connect them, if they"re close enough. Just straddle them with one foot. I think I used Behringer FCV100 stereo pedals.

I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.

.... Two pedals, close together using right angle plugs. I didn"t even need to 'physically" connect them, if they"re close enough. Just straddle them with one foot. ...

This is what I was going to suggest. Look for a pedal brand with connections on the end rather than the side.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I like the simple line-level mixer idea from Lou_NC. Is there a problem with that? I'm not technically savvy enough to understand some of the back and forth here, but I do appreciate it.

Why can't you use the expression pedal inputs on each instrument. Then find one of These? The XVP-10 has two independent expression pedal outputs (TRS). I think Korg discontinued this model but if you could find one, it works great. The new version, XVP-20 only has a single expression pedal output. But still has the dual stereo ins/outs of the original XVP-10.

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

I like the simple line-level mixer idea from Lou_NC. Is there a problem with that? I'm not technically savvy enough to understand some of the back and forth here, but I do appreciate it.

I think the problem with using a mixer, then going into a stereo volume pedal, is it doesn"t allow you to use the separate inputs on the Motion Sound for stereo from the Kronos, and mono from the CX-3.

Unless you use the stereo volume pedal as dual mono, and summed the Kronos to mono to use one half of the pedal.

I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.

Why can't you use the expression pedal inputs on each instrument. Then find one of These? The XVP-10 has two independent expression pedal outputs (TRS). I think Korg discontinued this model but if you could find one, it works great. The new version, XVP-20 only has a single expression pedal output. But still has the dual stereo ins/outs of the original XVP-10.

Timely question for me. I'm looking at cutting back the number of pedals in my rig and found this yesterday:

https://www.boss.info/us/products/ev-30/

Nord Stage 3 HA88, Nord Stage 3 Compact, Casio CT-S1, Radial Key Largo, Westone AM Pro 30, Rolls PM55P, K&M 18880 + 18881, Bose S1 Pro, JBL 305p MKII, Zoom Q2n-4K

Timely question for me. I'm looking at cutting back the number of pedals in my rig and found this yesterday:

https://www.boss.info/us/products/ev-30/

Didn't know about that one. Thanks for the info. :thu:

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

The EP-25K among others from Mission Engineering also has dual outputs, and dual polarity switches that might be necessary for some setups.

EP-25K

One serious problem with a lot of pedals are input/output jacks mounted on the sides. The Mission Engineering pedals look like they are sturdily built, but the side jacks means a no-go.

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

Not the cheapest solution, but this should work: Mission Engineering Expressionator. It basically allows you to send one expression pedal to 3 devices, with scaling and inversion available on all outputs. I have one on my effects pedalboard, and it works fantastically.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Yessir - I have one and it"s a beast of a pedal. I used to use it in that fashion to run my Korg TeX and Kurz SP76 for my previous band.

buy a used Key Largo and run the whole mixer with 1 Vol. pedal and two stereo control cables into and analog stereo pedal....Just trim with the patch vol. or instrument main Vol. knobs...

I did that in a short lived 80's project .. worked out well... really the way to go for more than input 2 sources ... but you only have 2 so a pedal may do it depending on how you run signal

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

This is SLIGHTLY off topic, but for anyone like me who has one board through a laptop, I find it insanely helpful to learn some sort of rudimentary MIDI programming environment. I use Max/MSP which is pretty advanced, but there are a lot simpler options out there, some built into VI Host programs. Then I hook all of my keyboards into the computer via MIDI and can make adjustments to them, even if they are "hardware" boards. For instance, I share pedals between my MainStage controller and my Crumar Mojo. The pedals are all hooked up to my Keylab controller, but sustain/rotary, and swell are echoed back out to the Mojo61. With some basic programming I can even get a little more advanced, like only sending out sustain signals to Piano patches, and sending out Rotary Fast/Slow to B3 models. It takes a little setup, but it makes performance and setup a breeze.

I do a lot of minor things this way, and it really allows me to customize my rig to perform exactly the way I want it to.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

This is a good puzzle! I just re-read your post and saw that you said you never play both instruments at once...

In that case this is a no brainer - this kind of scenario is why God gave MIDI to mankind, along with fire and beer.

Get an expression pedal and connect it to the Kronos, then connect Kronos MIDI out to CX MIDI in, and that should pretty much do the trick.

Simple and elegant, with the least amount of moving parts.

You'll just need to make sure that whatever you're playing on the Kronos is set to LOCAL, so you're not transmitting notes to the CX. Plenty of ways to deal with this depending on how flexible the Kronos MIDI implementation is. (I assume it must be comprehensive and pretty rockin'.)

In a pinch, you could even just turn down the CX volume knob when it's not being played!

Any variation on this approach is going to be easier to implement and MUCH easier to troubleshoot if something goes wrong, than going with the audio volume pedal approach.

This is a good puzzle! I just re-read your post and saw that you said you never play both instruments at once...

In that case this is a no brainer - this kind of scenario is why God gave MIDI to mankind, along with fire and beer.

Get an expression pedal and connect it to the Kronos, then connect Kronos MIDI out to CX MIDI in, and that should pretty much do the trick.

Simple and elegant, with the least amount of moving parts.

You'll just need to make sure that whatever you're playing on the Kronos is set to LOCAL, so you're not transmitting notes to the CX. Plenty of ways to deal with this depending on how flexible the Kronos MIDI implementation is. (I assume it must be comprehensive and pretty rockin'.)

In a pinch, you could even just turn down the CX volume knob when it's not being played!

Any variation on this approach is going to be easier to implement and MUCH easier to troubleshoot if something goes wrong, than going with the audio volume pedal approach.

THIS. This may be the cleanest solution for a Midi idiot such as myself. So when I'm playing pads on the Kronos (set to Local) then they flow into my KBR-3D controlled by the expression pedal. And I don't have to adjust anything on the CX. LIkewise, I can play organs on the CX keys without having to turn down the volume knob on the Kronos. Hope this works!

THIS.  This may be the cleanest solution for a Midi idiot such as myself.  So when I'm playing pads on the Kronos (set to Local) then they flow into my KBR-3D controlled by the expression pedal.  And I don't have to adjust anything on the CX.  LIkewise, I can play organs on the CX keys without having to turn down the volume knob on the Kronos.  Hope this works!

I hoped you would like this!

Finding the clean solution is a huge priority at my day job, programming for theater shows, where a keyboard catastrophe means I'll be back to waiting tables! 

Here's a quick clip of our rigs in action, this time at Les Miserables in Mexico City (final rehearsal before moving to the pit).

https://www.facebook.com/487177778030039/videos/1639352076145931

During non-COVID times, we've got close to a hundred of these rigs in use around the world at any given time, with Boss FV500L and/or Roland EV5 pedals, with a pile of fresh spares nearby, ready to deploy in a pinch. We use the single pedal controlling two keyboards on School of Rock, but I don't have any clips from that show.

Let us know how it goes!

I'd accomplish that via MIDI.

Exactly.

I've used this for 15years, works a treat.................

Midi Pedal Controller

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

buy a used Key Largo and run the whole mixer with 1 Vol. pedal and two stereo control cables into and analog stereo pedal....Just trim with the patch vol. or instrument main Vol. knobs...

I did that in a short lived 80's project .. worked out well... really the way to go for more than input 2 sources ... but you only have 2 so a pedal may do it depending on how you run signal

I second using a Radial Key Largo. You can run one volume pedal out of the Key Largo for all of the boards going into it, get the advantage of being able to submix your levels, and can send separate stereo signals to your monitor (the Motion Sound) and FOH from the Key Largo.

For a long time I did something similar with my Yamaha MM8 and Hammond SK2

I used a pair of FC7 pedals. There is a plate on each one that allows them to be connected to each other.

With this, you can change the volume on one or the other, or just by repositioning your foot, work both

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon