Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Another weird difference between Korg Japan and Korg Italy

Korg Japan's sustain pedals are great. Korg Itay's suck.

I say this based on the currently-in-use pedals that came with my Grandstage (Japan) and SV-2 (Italy), as well as my memory of the ones that came with my SV-1 and Kronos. The Grandstage pedal is solid and stays put as well as any I've owned; The SV one is bulkier, seems more cheaply made, and slides around on the floor like it's been greased. The couple times I've used the SV one on gigs, I ended up spending so much time chasing it around that it actually became distracting. Hence it has been relegated to the "for emergency use only" bin.

So, Korg Japan: nice going. Korg Italy: next time you place an order for RH3 keybeds from Japan, ask 'em to throw in a side of pedals and stop making players do the awkward "grip the pedal between both feet and finagle it back into place while trying not to lose your spot in the song" dance.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Buy a sheet if Grip Mat off Amazon.

$2 is all it costs and your pedals will not slip.

Well, sure, but I think Josh"s point is that if you can just build the pedals to not slip in the first place, why wouldn"t you?

Unless you also manufacture Grip Mat... ð

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

I can related to Josh's frustration. I also own both the DS-2H pedal which was delivered with the SV1 and now with the SV2, which slips on the ground, and the DS-1H pedal which is compatible with the Vox Continental and delivered with the Grandstage, and which doesn't slip on the ground.

Unfortunately, the DS-1H is not compatible with the SV1, but the SV2's specs say that it is compatible with it. So did you try your Grandstage DS-1H pedal on the SV2? You could also buy a separate one just for the SV2. It would be the best solution in my opinion as the DS-1H price is reasonable, though a bit high.

As I'm still using my SV1, I will check this Grip Mat sheet, as I'm still trying to find a solution to avoid a slippy pedal. Buy the way, I has also to buy a new DS-2H pedal after 8 years, as it went broke :-( I struggled to find one as a spare part, as it was out of stock for a while...

So I had to use a standard pedal which did not have the half-pedaling feature. I somehow got used to it, but when I started to use a DS-2H, I recognized how much better it is to play with half-pedaling.

Buy a sheet if Grip Mat off Amazon.

$2 is all it costs and your pedals will not slip.

Well, sure, but I think Josh"s point is that if you can just build the pedals to not slip in the first place, why wouldn"t you?

Unless you also manufacture Grip Mat... ð

It is a cheap solution that others may benefit from.

Col

... stop making players do the awkward "grip the pedal between both feet and finagle it back into place while trying not to lose your spot in the song" dance.

LOL. Only a professional keyboard player could come up with that one. It's even more challenging when you're standing up.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Although I was happy with the pedal that came with my GrandStage, I"ve been using a Studiologic VFP2 for a long time anyway for soft-pedaling, effects, brake/speed, plus it has a wider, heavier footprint that stays in position. Worth the extra dough.

Here for the gear.

stop making players do the awkward "grip the pedal between both feet and finagle it back into place while trying not to lose your spot in the song" dance.

The upside of using the SV pedal is having inner thigh muscles that put a pilates instructor to shame.

The SV2 pedal has that carveout near the back suggesting it was made to lay over a flat bar, which would of course keep it in place. But the dedicated stand for the SV1/2 doesn't have such a flat bar. Oh, those whimsical Italians!

I just ordered the dedicated stand, will have it in a few days. This is mainly because it looks better, so my wife might let me set it up in our living room as opposed to downstairs where I have no view to enjoy while playing.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64