Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Why does my DP change notes on its own?

Greetings All,

My Kurzweil Grand Ensemble Mark IV changes notes on its own. It is more prominent the longer it is on. I was wondering if this is just bad electronics or could it be dust. If it is dust, would it make sense to tear it open and use an air duster?

On another note, I need a key return spring. The spring has a long straight followed by coils. Any idea where to get one?

TIYA,

Cheers : )

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

need more information. what do you mean by changes notes on its own? are you saying it is detuning itself? and when? every note, certain notes? give us more information concerning the scenario and what is happening.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

My Yamaha P-115 did that too, after my shih-tzu peed inside one of the speakers when it was leaning on end (and no, that didn't happen to my non-working Mojo). After that I noticed when I was playing a LH A min triad (top note middle C), that it was adding notes I didn't play. But they were much hipper sounding chords than what I ordinarily would play (even hip enough to get accolades from KC posters) that I considered leaving it like that :). I cleaned it up inside anyway, best I could, but it still didn't work right until it was kept out of humidity for a few weeks.

Suggestion: Post your issues on the Mastering VAST Forums. Mastering VAST forums

That group of forums is mostly specific to Kurzweil. The model you identified is part of their home series. Parts availability may not be so good, Kurzweil went through several years in Korean courts a bit over a decade ago due to a Hostile Takeover, plus all the boards at that time were lead-soldered.

But, there may be someone there that can help. I serviced musical electronics for over 25 years, and have owned a number of their pro products, starting with K2000, currently have PC2 and PC3; but nothing comes to immediate mind, with the exception of possible contamination due to such things as mouse or insect, but could also be component failure or circuit board problems.

Disclaimer: I am one of the Moderators on those forums.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

My Yamaha P-115 did that too, after my shih-tzu peed inside one of the speakers when it was leaning on end (and no, that didn't happen to my non-working Mojo). After that I noticed when I was playing a LH A min triad (top note middle C), that it was adding notes I didn't play. But they were much hipper sounding chords than what I ordinarily would play (even hip enough to get accolades from KC posters) that I considered leaving it like that :).

I actually offer a cat-pee mod to any digital piano. Starts at $5/Octave. I bring the cat. By appointment only. Contactless service with proper COVID sanitation protocols

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

Greetings All,

My Kurzweil Grand Ensemble Mark IV changes notes on its own. It is more prominent the longer it is on. I was wondering if this is just bad electronics or could it be dust. If it is dust, would it make sense to tear it open and use an air duster?

On another note, I need a key return spring. The spring has a long straight followed by coils. Any idea where to get one?

TIYA,

Edward, I forgot to mention that Syntaur might be a resource for your return spring if Kurweil strikes out. My guess though is that spring was used on my different models, likely made by Fatar?

https://www.syntaur.com

Am I the only one who believes canned air should never ever be shot into a closed keyboard? Just pushes the dust and debris around into the smallest nooks and crannies, IMHO.

Kawai KG-2C, Nord Stage 3 73, Electro 4D, 5D and Lead 2x, Moog Voyager and Little Phatty Stage II, Slim Phatty, Roland Lucina AX-09, Hohner Piano Melodica, Spacestation V3, pair of QSC 8.2s.

Am I the only one who believes canned air should never ever be shot into a closed keyboard? Just pushes the dust and debris around into the smallest nooks and crannies, IMHO.

I've been using it for years on guitars, amps, computer gear, and now keyboards. Only thing I ever seen say not to was laser printers they said use mini vacuums to suck out the toner and etc inside the printers. The only thing I watch for is a lot of the canned air has water from condensation so I shoot a couple shots to get the water out before using it on gear.

Greetings All,

TIYA,

Edward, I forgot to mention that Syntaur might be a resource for your return spring if Kurweil strikes out. My guess though is that spring was used on my different models, likely made by Fatar?

https://www.syntaur.com

Muchas gracias

Suggestion: Post your issues on the Mastering VAST Forums. Mastering VAST forums

That group of forums is mostly specific to Kurzweil. The model you identified is part of their home series. Parts availability may not be so good, Kurzweil went through several years in Korean courts a bit over a decade ago due to a Hostile Takeover, plus all the boards at that time were lead-soldered.

But, there may be someone there that can help. I serviced musical electronics for over 25 years, and have owned a number of their pro products, starting with K2000, currently have PC2 and PC3; but nothing comes to immediate mind, with the exception of possible contamination due to such things as mouse or insect, but could also be component failure or circuit board problems.

Disclaimer: I am one of the Moderators on those forums.

Thanks, that should get me started.

In looking for info on the Grand Ensemble Mark IV, it was produced 1988-1991. Inside electronics were the same as the model EGP, also produced the same years, with an 88 key weighted keyboard and furniture cabinet. The operating system was a simplified version of the K1000 series. The K1000 series started in the fall of 1987.

I have a PDF version of the Owner's Manual, but no servicing information.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

In looking for info on the Grand Ensemble Mark IV, it was produced 1988-1991. Inside electronics were the same as the model EGP, also produced the same years, with an 88 key weighted keyboard and furniture cabinet. The operating system was a simplified version of the K1000 series. The K1000 series started in the fall of 1987.

I have a PDF version of the Owner's Manual, but no servicing information.

That helps tremendously. Thanks.