Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Reface DX , not a lot of love expressed here.

.....compared to the other reface models. I'm thinking of cheering myself up with a new board and trying to not spend $800 on a DS61. Running a search here brought up alot of CP, CS and YC but only a couple mentions of the DX. Are the sounds just too dated?

FunMachine.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless you just like the form factor, its more of a novelty for the ReFace line than a serious FM synth. Its range is limited when contrasted with the numerous software options and inclusions in synths such as the MODX line. The main question is simply how deep you want to go for more than the usual bells and basses. DEXED is free, good enhanced emulations abound and the world sure isn't lacking in DX patches. If you're going to go FM, make sure you can stretch when you need to. A wavetable synth might do it, but none of the serious hardware options are under $800 new, sooo.... used FS1R with no editor at all? :/:laugh:

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

The reface models were generally a dissapointment in the gigging crowd. yamaha's hype building up to release turned out to be separate keyboards - each doing one thing and with mini keys. However, after a closer look people realized the build quality is good, they sound good, and if you are looking for something EXTREMELY portable - they can be useful in a pinch. Just for fun, they are neat if you're a Yamaha fan.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I think the DX Reface is only 4-operators so it"s more of a DX9 than a DX7.

Having owned a DX9 back in the day, I"m not surprised the Reface ain"t that popular.

I really like my CP Reface. It"s handy and sounds good. Velocity response via MIDI needs an update though...

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

I own all the reface models except the DX. I have an ancient FB-01 that I turn on every 6 months or so, play for about 10 seconds, then tell myself 'That"s enough'. Not a fan of FM.

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

The reface models were generally a dissapointment in the gigging crowd. yamaha's hype building up to release turned out to be separate keyboards - each doing one thing and with mini keys. However, after a closer look people realized the build quality is good, they sound good, and if you are looking for something EXTREMELY portable - they can be useful in a pinch. Just for fun, they are neat if you're a Yamaha fan.

I've heard from some gigging musicians who use them as powerful, portable MIDI modules with pro-level sounds that happen to have mini keys for use in a pinch. I'd considered getting a CP myself for that first use (though I didn't and can't actually speak to how well they play in a gig setting).

Numa X Piano 73 | Yamaha CP4 | Mojo 61 | Motion Sound KP-612s | Hammond M3

I've had 3 Refaces. DX was the first. I honestly can't remember why I sold it, but probably had to do with not finding much use for FM sounds. But I remember it being fun to use and program and having a pretty good velocity response. I wouldn't steer anyone away from it.

I still have the CP and CS. Love the CP, The rhodes are a little too bell-toned for my taste. The Wurly sounds really great, but the velocity curve from the keyboard leaves something to be desired. Clav isn't super realistic, but tons of fun through the auto-wah. The most fun aspect of the CP may be the effects. The CP has traveled almost everywhere with me. Spent many an hour on it in airports and airplanes.

The CS is a wonderful little synth. No presets, but that gives it an old school feel. Of all the Refaces, it's the one I've most often used on gigs and seen other people use on gigs.

I've considered getting a YC but the terrible C/V always keeps me from clicking "buy."

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I've considered getting a YC but the terrible C/V always keeps me from clicking "buy."

Try a Lester K with a YC - you won't need the chorus/vibrato.

[video:youtube]

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

.....compared to the other reface models. I'm thinking of cheering myself up with a new board and trying to not spend $800 on a DS61. Running a search here brought up alot of CP, CS and YC but only a couple mentions of the DX. Are the sounds just too dated?

The 32 presets it ships with are no doubt geared to the retro 80's DX vibe. And for many the mini keys are a "tolerate them / hate them" kind of thing, but Yamaha's are by far the most musically playable.

Contrary to others' comments here, it's unique 4-Op FM implementation is actually stealthily versatile. It only sounds as "dated" as you want it to be. If you program yourself you'll be pleasantly suprised at its vast timbral range -- it is no DX9! If you don't program, Yamaha's SoundMondo internet ecosystem has tons of patches available. There's like 400+ patches I've uploaded there, of which the vast majority do not have anything in common with the sterotypical "DX sound", plus there's a lot of others' 'contemporary' patches as well. FM isn't just basses and bells and THAT 'electric piano' sound anymore.

But, then again I'm definitely the outlier here re: FM synthesis...

Ultimately, what need are you filling with a new piece of gear? For about $320 these days it's actually a very versatile, good "bang for the buck" hardware synth.

Manny

People assume timbre is a strict progression of input to harmonics, but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timbrally-wimbrally... stuff

I feel like I"d want one just so I can make the cheesy dated DX sounds like the quacky brass (not to be confused with such from the Juno-106) and harmonica with pitch bend, and e piano. I love that e piano sound as Staccato off beat chords in between the 1 & 2, 2 & 3, 3 & 4, and 4 & 1 (sort of like reggae or ska).

Also that harmonica is good for the music I make and the brass is super punchy.

Along with a Reface CS, the DX is good.

Yamaha MX49, Casio SK1/WK-7600, Korg Minilogue, Alesis SR-16, Casio CT-X3000, FL Studio, many VSTs, percussion, woodwinds, strings, and sound effects.

The 32 presets it ships with are no doubt geared to the retro 80's DX vibe. And for many the mini keys are a "tolerate them / hate them" kind of thing, but Yamaha's are by far the most musically playable.

Contrary to others' comments here, it's unique 4-Op FM implementation is actually stealthily versatile. It only sounds as "dated" as you want it to be. If you program yourself you'll be pleasantly suprised at its vast timbral range -- it is no DX9! If you don't program, Yamaha's SoundMondo internet ecosystem has tons of patches available. There's like 400+ patches I've uploaded there, of which the vast majority do not have anything in common with the sterotypical "DX sound", plus there's a lot of others' 'contemporary' patches as well. FM isn't just basses and bells and THAT 'electric piano' sound anymore.

But, then again I'm definitely the outlier here re: FM synthesis...

Ultimately, what need are you filling with a new piece of gear? For about $320 these days it's actually a very versatile, good "bang for the buck" hardware synth.

Manny

It sort of derails my thread but on an impulse I ordered a Roland DS61 to fill my need which is mostly synths, pads, lead synth and synth brass. All stuff I would have used the DX for.

I've been a VSTi user but want to simplify to hardware. Ultimately the DX is obviously too small for keyboard gigs.

I might still get a DX to play at my guitar gigs as a value added piece. I used to dislike mini keys but I have gotten to like the keys on my JDXi.

The jdxi and dx cover the same bases for me but the jdxi seems too flimsy to really take gig abuse.

FunMachine.

• 6 months later...

I'm picking up a Reface DX tomorrow. I still have a soft spot for FM synthesis. :D

I know the DX is a 4 OP synth but having Feedback on each OP is nice. :rawk:

Programming the Reface DX is a lot easier and more fun than it was on the DX7IID I had a few years ago.

I wanted a small portable KB that could handle LH bass or serve as a tone generator layered underneath my DP.

Don't worry...I do not have visions of resurrecting the 1980s. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I still have the CP and CS. Love the CP, The rhodes are a little too bell-toned for my taste. The Wurly sounds really great, but the velocity curve from the keyboard leaves something to be desired. Clav isn't super realistic, but tons of fun through the auto-wah. The most fun aspect of the CP may be the effects. The CP has traveled almost everywhere with me. Spent many an hour on it in airports and airplanes.

+1

I've played weddings and worship services with only a CP. ("Is *that* what you're playing? It's so small, but it sounds so big...")

Legend '70s Compact, Jupiter-Xm, Studiologic Numa X 73

I think the problem with FM synths is that they are less intuitive to program than other forms of synthesis. So when the DX7 et al came out, people used the presets, which meant we were hearing the same cliched sounds over an over. So those became associated with FM synths, instead of what you could get once you figured out how to make your own sounds. It was also before the days when synths started to have serious effects built in, so the FM sounds were "naked" in comparison to today's drenched-in-effects keyboard sounds.

Programming FM synths is still frustrating...but I still like to noodle around with them. Whether by accident or design, from time to time some really wonderful sounds pop out that I can't get any other way. I don't have a ReFace DX, though, because it's kinda pricey for me and I'm currently not gigging anyway, which is the only reason I would consider it. For the studio, FM8 does everything I need.

I think the problem with FM synths is that they are less intuitive to program than other forms of synthesis.

Definitely true, but that's partly the fault of the DX-7 specifically, isn't it? It had a reputation for an awful interface.

The Reface DX UI, by contrast, is a joy to play with--at least, that was my experience when I had one for a couple weeks. I had a lot of fun with it.