Music Player Network

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Kurzweil PC4 [Re: rockinroller] #3015306 11/08/19 01:57 PM
Modler Offline
Originally Posted by rockinroller

That "quick access" is not quick enough for my purposes. I play in a trio and not only do the keys parts but also LH bass, so my hand cannot leave the keyboard for more than a split second during a song, to change a program. The Artis 7 (and Forte) locate a row of assignable "Favorites" buttons just above the key bed, in proximity sufficient to make a change without skipping a beat (literally). The "buttons on the right" on this PC4 are at least 3-4 times further away and there's no way I could change programs as fluidly as I do now on the Artis 7. I would love to have 88 notes in a decent gigging weight, but the absence of the "Quick" in "Access" doesn't get it for me.

Can't you just switch programs/setups with a pedal? Then you wouldn't have to take any hands or fingers off the keyboard at all. It's a fairly simple thing to set up on a Kurzweil.

KC Island
Re: Kurzweil PC4 [Re: Modler] #3015311 11/08/19 02:55 PM
R
rockinroller Offline
R
Originally Posted by Modler

That "quick access" is not quick enough for my purposes. I play in a trio and not only do the keys parts but also LH bass, so my hand cannot leave the keyboard for more than a split second during a song, to change a program. The Artis 7 (and Forte) locate a row of assignable "Favorites" buttons just above the key bed, in proximity sufficient to make a change without skipping a beat (literally). The "buttons on the right" on this PC4 are at least 3-4 times further away and there's no way I could change programs as fluidly as I do now on the Artis 7. I would love to have 88 notes in a decent gigging weight, but the absence of the "Quick" in "Access" doesn't get it for me.

Can't you just switch programs/setups with a pedal? Then you wouldn't have to take any hands or fingers off the keyboard at all. It's a fairly simple thing to set up on a Kurzweil.

I am pretty sure a pedal programmed to switch to different programs would have to be sequential--i.e. if I am performing with Program "1" and I need to go to Program "4" in the particular instance, I am guessing I would have to pedal-sequence through Programs 2 and 3 before arriving at 4, which would probably take as much or more time than taking a hand off the key bed and locating that assigned button in the Quick Access area of the PC4.

Kurzweil Artis 7 (2)
Alto TS312 Powered Speaker
Samson 6 channel mixer
Re: Kurzweil PC4 [Re: rockinroller] #3015313 11/08/19 03:29 PM
AnotherScott Offline
MPN Advisory Board
10k Club
MPN Advisory Board
10k Club

I see your point, but I find "a beat" long enough either way. On your Artis, could you really typically not hit the "Piano 1" button pretty much just as quickly as you could hit "Favorites 1"? (Also keep in mind that, with a couple of octaves devoted to LH bass, you're probably going to octave shift and move "middle C" to the C an octave higher, so your hand will be skewing toward the right for much of its playing anyway.) Also keep in mind that the buttons on the PC4, though similarly oriented toward the right, are actually much easier to hit quickly then the buttons on the Artis, because they are bigger targets and they are each well differentiated from each other. THat was one of my complaints about the Artis7 compared to the SP4-7 that kind of functionally preceded it... those small and thin Artis buttons, all butted up right against each other, were not nearly as easy to navigate and select quickly/reliably. I'm glad that's not an issue on the PC4.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our new video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out!
Re: Kurzweil PC4 [Re: hipogrito] #3015314 11/08/19 03:45 PM
Legatoboy Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I love my SP6, this makes me want a PC4...

yeah, I love my chick ... it makes me want ... .

... a younger and more flexible version?

Same axe and sound basically(I know it has more but sonically and play-ability) , just with larger 'dials' and 'sliders;.....a Dials and Slider Job augmentation ...
I do use organ on gigs, I found the dials for that and other assignable parms and effects a bit confusing on the gig to use ,especially in low light, I'd prefer sliders for the drawbars and the effects levels or anything else as on the PC4 as opposed to the to the SP6...
everything else I'm sort of OK about on the 6!

Last edited by Legatoboy; 11/08/19 03:49 PM.

SP6, CP-50, FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, XK-3, CX-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122
Re: Kurzweil PC4 [Re: hipogrito] #3015315 11/08/19 04:01 PM
C
Coker Offline
C
Can anyone confirm that the keybed on the PC4 is the same as the SP6 except for aftertouch?

CP4, ZXA1, CA93, SP6
Re: Kurzweil PC4 [Re: Coker] #3015324 11/08/19 05:06 PM
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted by Coker
Can anyone confirm that the keybed on the PC4 is the same as the SP6 except for aftertouch?

as usual, there is no way around this. we have to get on one and try it out. even if it is the exact same action, the aftertouch strip is going to change how it feels to play it.

Live: Casio PX-560, Roland VR-700
Home: Rebuilt 1910 Chickering 5'2", Fender Rhodes MKI 88k, Yamaha S90ES
Re: Kurzweil PC4 [Re: AnotherScott] #3015329 11/08/19 05:40 PM
R
rockinroller Offline
R
Originally Posted by AnotherScott

I see your point, but I find "a beat" long enough either way. On your Artis, could you really typically not hit the "Piano 1" button pretty much just as quickly as you could hit "Favorites 1"? (Also keep in mind that, with a couple of octaves devoted to LH bass, you're probably going to octave shift and move "middle C" to the C an octave higher, so your hand will be skewing toward the right for much of its playing anyway.) Also keep in mind that the buttons on the PC4, though similarly oriented toward the right, are actually much easier to hit quickly then the buttons on the Artis, because they are bigger targets and they are each well differentiated from each other. THat was one of my complaints about the Artis7 compared to the SP4-7 that kind of functionally preceded it... those small and thin Artis buttons, all butted up right against each other, were not nearly as easy to navigate and select quickly/reliably. I'm glad that's not an issue on the PC4.

I view the QA buttons area on the PC3 and 4 boards as crowded compared to a single horizontal row on the Artis. In addition, I've labeled those 10 Favorites buttons on my Artis with the respective saved Multis (all having LH bass but different mid to high octave sounds) using a single 1/4" strip of paper defining each and taped down. It probably boils down to just being used to doing it a certain way and getting proficient at switching programs quickly and efficiently while performing.

Kurzweil Artis 7 (2)
Alto TS312 Powered Speaker
Samson 6 channel mixer
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner