Music Player Network

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Deepmind 12 - Examples and observations [Re: Six-string-man] #2948840 09/18/18 10:56 AM
Toano88 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Accessing patches is relatively easy. You save the ones you want to use in a gig as a "Favorite". Then at the gig press Prog -> FX and move the scroll wheel. A menu will come up listing all of your favorites in the order which you saved them. I keep the menu up and just scroll to the patch I want. I saved them in order of the setlist. So its usually 1 click of the scroll wheel. I also rename them to make them more sensible. Usually the song name I use it on.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12
Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell
KC Island
Re: Deepmind 12 - Examples and observations [Re: Toano88] #2978238 03/02/19 07:37 PM
U
uhoh7 Offline
U
I'm about to order. I can't believe the piano and organ in this thread, impressive. Strings superb.

RT-3/U-121/SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12
Leslie 21H and 760
Re: Deepmind 12 - Examples and observations [Re: uhoh7] #2978258 03/02/19 09:59 PM
scottasin Offline
Gold Member
Gold Member
Old thread, but I gotta say I've been loving my Deepmind, had it for a few months now. Here's a song I put together using it, an Arturia Drumbrute Impact, strings from a Proteus, and a bit of shoddy bass playing. All the sounds from the Deepmind I programmed myself from the ground up, and I'd like to think of some of them as being not the typical intended use of the instrument... I've got some synth 'lap steel' and a patch I created to sort suggest or sit in the sonic space of a wurlitzer or upright piano. The song itself is like country influenced Tycho, so understand its weird and clashing for the sake of being weird and clashing.

https://soundcloud.com/dj_pizza/three-cheese-synth-country

Last edited by scottasin; 03/02/19 10:00 PM.
Re: Deepmind 12 - Examples and observations [Re: scottasin] #2981025 03/21/19 02:03 AM
U
uhoh7 Offline
U
Mine arrived a few days ago. Found it on the bay "open box" for 580, but it was sealed (keyboard version). Wow. I'm just learning the basics, this is my first synth. I went back and forth for months on what to get, and watched 100s of YTs on everything 1500 or less. One day I wanted a neutron, then a maxibrute etc. Digitackt, Peak, Minilog, I can't believe the choices. As I started to narrow to the DM12, I went back and watched all the intro videos when it was rumoured and then first reviewed. Haha, I had no idea.

Controversial, OMG!

But it was the more obscure reviews which tipped me, one was a studio pro who had a bunch of synths, new and old, but he said this was the one for the desert Island. I kept coming accross players who just fell in love with it.

I was tempted by the ModX, but I wanted to get some skills which would work with other analog style synths, and that yamaha interface is......unique. Also the ModX is twice the money wink

Anyway, I love the thing. I hope I live long enough to work it all smile Great build, it's sitting on my old SL-880 (which is now alternating between lower DM manual, and a hammersmith, or both) BTW I finnaly got a decent piano sound with the hammersmith, optical out from Macbook Pro to a DAC, then into the IK micros. Giant leap in sound (and the other popular pianos sound alot better too), though my upright is under no threat. Nor my Hammond, from the DM, it's just so fun, and inspiring to have all the keyboard options.

The DM's abilty to do such a variety of rich and varied sounds is....mindblowing. I'm just going through the patches and playing with the modwheel and a few sliders now, and reading up. The effects are really something. I'm circling that wild control sequencer....and the arp. The patches give you a taste of all the possiblites.

Huge help to have all the tutoirals on YT also, once upon a synth and a few other guys are just fantastic. That was another factor which made me choose the DM. If I had to gripe, it would be about the bed, which is not bad, and pretty tight in it's own way, but just a bit "small" seeming, the key size. The Hammond spoils you totally in un-hammered action. No synth action I've seen is close. Cmon Fatar, step up!!

I can't want to see that UBX-a coming in a few months, after all the new monos drop, each a seeming tasty affordable masterpiece, though TYG my synth craving is fully met for the moment with the DM12.

All these beds have me seriously shedding now. smile

Last edited by uhoh7; 03/21/19 02:06 AM.

Leslie 21H and 760
Re: Deepmind 12 - Examples and observations [Re: uhoh7] #2981034 03/21/19 05:49 AM
R
Randelph Offline
Gold Member
Gold Member
R
uhoh7, cool, sounds like you did your homework and got an inspiring synth for not much money- congrats! The holy grail for many of us that don't have alot of moolah but are endlessly sound motivated.

Check back in and give us a further report once you've had it for awhile-

Korg PA 1000 / NS 88 Classic / iRig Keys I/O 49
Win10 laptop i7 8GB 500GB
Yamaha melodica, alto recorder / Congas
Roland Street Cube EX / QSC K10, K8.2 / SS V.3 / Klipsch KMC 3
Re: Deepmind 12 - Examples and observations [Re: Randelph] #2981234 03/22/19 01:09 PM
Music*aL Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I can’t find this keyboard locally, so can’t take it for a test drive. What is the keybed like? How would you describe the action: solid, light, flimsy, fast...

Gear: NS3 HP76, Mojo 61, NS2 73, NS 88 classic, C. Bechstein baby grand.
Re: Deepmind 12 - Examples and observations [Re: Music*aL] #2981340 03/22/19 07:06 PM
Bill H. Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I find the action in my DM12 similar to my XP-80. It may not be quite as snappy - but both are semi-weighted (with weights under the keys) feel close to the same weight in practice, and have about the same distance from the key pivots to the ends. I can get consistent velocity responses from both when I move into the action - something that unfortunately is not the norm these days.

I find the DM12's action solidly out of the budget category of boards like the FA-06 and KingKorg. But I have one of the later runs. I guess the earlier ones had issues.

Re: Deepmind 12 - Examples and observations [Re: Bill H.] #2981348 03/22/19 07:41 PM
Music*aL Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Thanks for the info, Bill. That's helpful. Hopefully, if I do pull the trigger on this little synth, I get a later run!!!

aL

Re: Deepmind 12 - Examples and observations [Re: Music*aL] #2981403 03/23/19 03:55 AM
U
uhoh7 Offline
U
Originally Posted By: Music*aL
I can’t find this keyboard locally, so can’t take it for a test drive. What is the keybed like? How would you describe the action: solid, light, flimsy, fast...

It's diving board style. I just took a close look and compared it to 5 keybeds, riffing. At first, thought...hmm those black keys look narrow. WTF? Then I woke up, the black keys on my Numa Compact 2x (TP/9) are wider, but i feel both sides of my fingers between the black keys, when I have to reach in. You don't get that in the DM12. So you get a great feel between black keys. The springs are very light, which I think is much better. The Numa is over sprung. Aftertouch is very good. The key travel is not as long as any off my other beds, but does not effect expressivity. Conclusion: this is a very fast bed. Somebody thought quite a bit about it. Key length is a bit under 5.5 ", near identical to Hammond, shorter than the numa, which is right on 5.5. My hammered beds are 6".

What throws you off is the mechanical noise. It's not the volume of the click when the key rebounds and hits the top, its the light plastic tone. My other beds have more of a thud, just as loud or louder (upright piano is louder), except a Nektar T4 bed I have, which has a similar noise. BTW that bed is super expressive, with a very deep aftertouch and long soft travel, very unique.

But once you have some volume...we don't notice those noises. LOL.

All that said, you can get the DM12 without a keybed and save about $125ish.

But plastic clicks aside, the DM12 keybed, in terms of function, is excellent. Way better than I thought at first. You have several curves for velocity and AT. And you can MIDI in with anything, and controllers are very cheap these days, like Roland or Komplete A-49s.

One note: the DM12 is not multi-timbral. Polyphonic, yes, but any exterior controller will be playin the same patch as the main board. It can't play two patches at once. I was a little surprised about this when I first read it, but once I heard it, I forgot wink

Last edited by uhoh7; 03/23/19 04:01 AM.

Leslie 21H and 760
Re: Deepmind 12 - Examples and observations [Re: uhoh7] #2981430 03/23/19 10:57 AM
K
KorgyPorky Offline
K
Currently considering an analogue desktop model..

Either the DM12 or the Novation peak..
Both are quite different, so maybe both
They will be a great addition to my modx8

Any advice is welcome tough..

Maybe a DM12 as 2nd keybed, controlling the peak?

Re: Deepmind 12 - Examples and observations [Re: KorgyPorky] #2981438 03/23/19 12:05 PM
Music*aL Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Trigger pulled! Thanks to your collective reviews of its synth capabilities and keybed feel. Looking forward to putting it through it paces and will report back!

aL

Re: Deepmind 12 - Examples and observations [Re: Music*aL] #2981592 03/24/19 06:49 PM
MikeT156 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I'm a doubting Thomas when it comes to Behringer. I realize that they have their own factory in Asia, and their quality is greatly improved. I have read that the KB's are not very good, and the screens die in due time.

I suppose that you still can't buy a Merecedes for the price of a KIA. I would consider the desktop version if it were possible to change programs on it without having to use Midi Change messages to the unit every time you need to change it. Bad idea.

It still has too much reverb for my taste, but the sounds Bush got out of his unit are VERY impressive.

One final note. Sweetwater has the desktop selling for $599 whicn is rock bottom. I am assuming it comes with their 2 year warranty and free shipping. That makes it an incredible deal.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.
Re: Deepmind 12 - Examples and observations [Re: KorgyPorky] #2981887 03/26/19 07:17 PM
N
newkeys Offline
N
Originally Posted By: KorgyPorky
Currently considering an analogue desktop model..

Either the DM12 or the Novation peak..
Both are quite different, so maybe both
They will be a great addition to my modx8

Any advice is welcome tough..

Maybe a DM12 as 2nd keybed, controlling the peak?

Hi. DM12 and Peak owner here. (I have also accumulated various other synths over the years, because I am old—so have some sense of perspective on synth tone, I think.). If you have specific questions/comparisons re Deepmind vs. Peak , I will try to answer if you want.

I would say up front that they are *both* instruments you can enjoy and make music with. The Peak costs more and imo there are good reasons for that—both re its features and because you are paying for Novation’s good customer support and experience in the synth business. But the Deepmind is also, as you can see from other responses here, not a “bad” synth.

One question: When you say you’re considering an analogue synth — what are your expectations? In other words, *why* do you want an analogue synth? These days, different people use that word to mean different things...

Re: Deepmind 12 - Examples and observations [Re: burningbusch] #3014726 11/03/19 12:11 AM
U
uhoh7 Offline
U
So many great synths, that new hydra looks fantastic.

But the more I learn the DM12, the more impressed I am. I think I paid 525 for the keyboard 12 voice. Even right now, with so much cool stuff, at such low prices, that is beyond a steal. The more you play the more you love smile

It's so helpful that there are many good synth gurus who've made tutorials on it. I'm always turing up new, interesting ones.

Last edited by uhoh7; 11/03/19 12:15 AM.

Leslie 21H and 760
Re: Deepmind 12 - Examples and observations [Re: burningbusch] #3014753 11/03/19 02:02 PM
F
felis Offline
F
Those are some really nice sounds, BB. thu

I don't have one, but the DM12 is kind of an oddball synth.
Really nice because it has a lot of the programming features I like to use.

But at the same time it has some limitations that might be frustrating at times.
Mainly things like the oscillator configuration, being mono-timbral (not a deal breaker for me),
lack of an audio input, and a few other things.

It'd be great if they came out with a V2, rather than dropping the whole concept for something else.
Even if they don't, I still wouldn't mind getting one sometime.

Re: Deepmind 12 - Examples and observations [Re: Toano88] #3014811 11/04/19 12:28 AM
B
bfields Offline
B
Originally Posted by Toano88
Accessing patches is relatively easy. You save the ones you want to use in a gig as a "Favorite". Then at the gig press Prog -> FX and move the scroll wheel. A menu will come up listing all of your favorites in the order which you saved them. I keep the menu up and just scroll to the patch I want. I saved them in order of the setlist. So its usually 1 click of the scroll wheel. I also rename them to make them more sensible. Usually the song name I use it on.

Is that documented somewhere? I couldn't find it in the manual.

Doesn't look like it allows saving the same patch twice, which makes it less like a setlist feature.

Re: Deepmind 12 - Examples and observations [Re: burningbusch] #3014873 11/04/19 02:55 PM
Toano88 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Is that documented somewhere? I couldn't find it in the manual.

Doesn't look like it allows saving the same patch twice, which makes it less like a setlist feature.

It's not a setlist feature, but it is documented on page 12 chapter 4.5 of the manual. It's very helpful for accessing patches spread out over the keyboard that you call up often. There are so many patches on the board I never use, that I just created a few that work for my purposes and call them up in the favorites. There are only about 15 of them. I do more bread & butter sounds on my SP6 than anything else.

If you want it to act like a setlist, you can always take an entire bank and rewrite each of the 128 locations and rename them to the song on your list in whatever order you want. Personally instead of doing that I would get a tablet or phone app that would send midi program changes. I use a program called 'setlist' on my iPad. I use to control both my SP6 & DM12.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12
Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell
Re: Deepmind 12 - Examples and observations [Re: Toano88] #3014894 11/04/19 04:50 PM
B
bfields Offline
B
Originally Posted by Toano88
It's not a setlist feature, but it is documented on page 12 chapter 4.5 of the manual.

Oh, interesting, looks like they updated the manual--the version I was reading doesn't have that, but I downloaded a new version from their website that does. Thanks, more reading to do!

It's very helpful for accessing patches spread out over the keyboard that you call up often. There are so many patches on the board I never use, that I just created a few that work for my purposes and call them up in the favorites. There are only about 15 of them. I do more bread & butter sounds on my SP6 than anything else.

If you want it to act like a setlist, you can always take an entire bank and rewrite each of the 128 locations and rename them to the song on your list in whatever order you want. Personally instead of doing that I would get a tablet or phone app that would send midi program changes. I use a program called 'setlist' on my iPad. I use to control both my SP6 & DM12.

Yeah, I'm currently copying everything I care about to low numbers in the "A" bank, which makes navigation very easy. I haven't gone so far as to arrange them in setlist order since I only have a few so far.

I already use an app (MobileSheets Pro) that claims to support sending MIDI on song changes, so I'll look into that next. Unfortunately most of my sounds are coming from my PX-560 which won't accept registration changes over MIDI. I may give up and replace it eventually just over that issue; the band I'm playing with likes to minimize transition time, and between changing songs on the app and patches on both keyboards, I'm usually the slow one. Or else I get flustered and fudge the start of the new song.

Re: Deepmind 12 - Examples and observations [Re: uhoh7] #3014902 11/04/19 06:21 PM
S
Stokely Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
S
Originally Posted by uhoh7
So many great synths, that new hydra looks fantastic.

But the more I learn the DM12, the more impressed I am. I think I paid 525 for the keyboard 12 voice. Even right now, with so much cool stuff, at such low prices, that is beyond a steal. The more you play the more you love smile

It's so helpful that there are many good synth gurus who've made tutorials on it. I'm always turing up new, interesting ones.

The hydrasynth is a big reason I don't have a DM12 already, considering the silly low price you can get them for. Not that they are in any way similar as far as sound--but simply that I can't just add keyboard after keyboard to my live OR studio rig (studio "rig" is software anyway). The poly aftertouch and ribbon on the Hydra are really appealing to me as a controller. I need to see if it can do "simple analog" to go with its crazy wave sounds. I've played the DM12 and the action is fine with me, as is the build quality (it's more substantial overall than my MODX7, AND has a built-in power supply too.)

In other words, when I can "strike", I need to make it count (or the wife's ire descends upon me like the arrows of the Persians.....)....she sees "keyboards" no matter if they are controllers, analog, organs or whatever and too many spells trouble! grin

Last edited by Stokely; 11/04/19 06:24 PM.
Re: Deepmind 12 - Examples and observations [Re: burningbusch] #3016150 11/14/19 05:18 PM
brenner13 Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I finally got the thing out to a gig last weekend, after what...three years? It did pretty well. There’re only a couple of my sounds that need more tweaking for the live set...mostly just need to dial back the amount of OSC-drift. Most of the noises filled in well with the band. Gotta say that it is so nice to have Aftertouch expression in my live rig again. Quite anxious for the next show...a much smaller, intimate bar scene.
I’m sure it has been mentioned before, but Behringer’s soft case for this board is of exceptional quality.

Last edited by brenner13; 11/14/19 05:21 PM.

Gig: VR09; MODX7; Vortex2; QSC K12; JBL PRX615M
Studio: MS2000R; JX10, S550, X7; Numa Compact2;
SY77, SY55, EX5; DeepMind 12; Kawai ES100
https://soundcloud.com/brad-renner
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner