Page 32 of 39 1 2 30 31 32 33 34 38 39
Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: Stokely] #2973669 02/04/19 04:12 PM
AnotherScott Online Content
10k Club
Online Content
10k Club
Originally Posted By: Stokely
though the vr700 leslie was fine for rock mixes IMO

I'd say the VR700 leslie was better than the FA07 leslie.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our new video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out!
KC Island
Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: Stokely] #2973803 02/05/19 01:36 AM
M
MotiDave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
M
Originally Posted By: AnotherScott
That said, the fa is an option. My buddy has one, I'll go over there and try it out. If either can play an ipad with convenience that is a selling point, someone mentioned they use the Galileo organ with theirs...organimation as another option for organ.

I am concerned about mono though. If indeed it sounds wimpy, I might well just consider an mx61.

FA and MODX are both good matches for an iPad. MX61 less so because user patches can' include MIDI program changes for external devices, though MX does let you use its 16 buttons to effectively select from among the 16 MIDI channels which gives you another way to switch among a bank of iPad sounds.

As for organ, the FA has the edge over the Yamahas, especially since it has the assignable sub out which lets you easily put a Vent or similar on your organ sound. Though the fact that you play mono anyway also gives you the option on the Yamahas to pan your organ sound to the opposite side from your other sounds so it effectively has its own output for doing the same. FA also has a true 9-drawbar organ engine, though. MODX does have some semblance of 9-drawbar control in some of its performances, but within the standard sample engine, which also means that a 9-drawbar sound uses 9 instances of polyphony per key.

Thanks, all good info. It turns out that the buddy with the fa06 wants to thin the herd...and unlike me, he cares about what the thing looks like grin...and he doesn't like the fa06. He'll give me a great deal on it so I'm probably going to go that way if I try it and like it. I like the option to add a pedal as you say, though the vr700 leslie was fine for rock mixes IMO. Paying less for something that wouldn't be a studio mainstay is probably the wise choice. Something I use at home needs to have aftertouch, though after seeing some Roli mpe vids I could see that being the future too!

Anyway, back to the modx, didn't mean to derail.
if Hammond is high on the priority list, thats prob the right choice.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.
Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: yamoho] #2973839 02/05/19 11:04 AM
M
MotiDave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
M
Originally Posted By: yamoho
I ordered the Gator G-PG-76SLIM from Amazon, supposed to arrive tomorrow, I will post when I have time for info and maybe some pics.

Looking forward to your report ... and pics if possible

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.
Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: MotiDave] #2973993 02/05/19 09:32 PM
Y
yamoho Offline
Y
Originally Posted By: MotiDave
I ordered the Gator G-PG-76SLIM from Amazon, supposed to arrive tomorrow, I will post when I have time for info and maybe some pics.

Looking forward to your report ... and pics if possible

So the Gator gig bag arrived, model # G-PG-76SLIM, and my MODX7 does fit— it is quite snug in the depth dimension. Below are the dimensions listed for the bag (Gator site) and the MODX7 (Yamaha site):

gig bag: 49” x 13” x 5-1/2”
MODX7: 45-1/16” x 13-1/16” x 5-1/4”

There’s a little slack on the ends of the bag as you can see from the numbers, but depth and width have no slack at all. The padding is all very nice, and I have had two other gig bags from Gator with no problems, very sturdy for my use, which means my car and personally handled by me. I am keeping this bag, even though it’s snug, I am OK with the fit. I haven’t attached the backpack straps so no opinion on that, but I use a regular backpack for DI box, volume pedal etc so probably won’t carry the keyboard that way. Usually one trip with X-stand, boom-mic-stand, keyboard and backpack.
Which brings me to the only possible issue— with the other Gator soft bags, there’s a small storage pocket on top where I usually put cords AND the sustain pedal. In this bag, the external pocket is very large in 2 dimensions, but has no height to it, and given how tight is the fit, I’ll have to find somewhere else for the sustain pedal… That’s the only downside at this point.
I have posted one photo here as an experiment, as I have never posted a photo here. The only other photos I’ve posted otherwise were surf fishing in the Pacific from years ago. I guessed at 800 x 600 in Photo Bucket, hope it looks OK. If so, I will post other photos.

-kirk

Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: yamoho] #2973994 02/05/19 09:40 PM
Y
yamoho Offline
Y
...photo seems ok, here are the others. Once I zipped it completely, it doesn't stand up straight, due to the tight fit, maybe you can see from the photos.

--EOM--

Last edited by yamoho; 02/06/19 12:14 AM.
Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: yamoho] #2974012 02/06/19 12:08 AM
M
MotiDave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
M
Nice work Yamoho! Will a sustain pedal fit on the end (inside main compartment) if you slide the board down a smidge?

Go ahead and try on those backpack straps for fun ... smile

Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: MotiDave] #2974150 02/06/19 07:40 PM
Y
yamoho Offline
Y
Nice work Yamoho! Will a sustain pedal fit on the end (inside main compartment) if you slide the board down a smidge?

I was thinking the same thing about the sustain pedal… Yes, it does fit, and I stuck a rag in between the pedal and keybd for protection:

Later on, I put on the backstrap and I thought it was actually quite good. The fittings on the bottom of the strap and on the bag are metal, and the top connects by velcro, which may not seem that great, but it’s a very strong connection:

There’s also a shoulder strap, metal connections:

And a protective plastic cover for the entire bag:

As I said before, I’ll be keeping this one, I can live with a slightly snug fit.

Dave - thanks for the suggestion of this bag, I hope the photos are helpful.

-kirk

Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: yamoho] #2974151 02/06/19 07:57 PM
timwat Offline
Quite wealthy...spiritually
MP Hall of Fame Member
Quite wealthy...spiritually
MP Hall of Fame Member
I'm currently using the 'non-slim' model (Gator Pro Go - G-PG-76) for my Kronos 73, and can also commend it for that use. It's very plushly padded, well designed, and the backpack option actually works well.

The ONLY thing I wish it had was a second 'grab handle' on the "bottom" end. Just the 'top' end has a nice sturdy grab handle, and for any keyboard that length it would be nice to have handles on each end. I understand why you wouldn't want a handle on the "bottom" but...that's not how I typically use it (as a vertical standing case). A small nit, and I still very much like the case too.

"I'm not just untalented. I'm multi untalented."
Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: yamoho] #2974172 02/06/19 11:53 PM
M
MotiDave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
M

I was thinking the same thing about the sustain pedal… Yes, it does fit, and I stuck a rag in between the pedal and keybd for protection:

Later on, I put on the backstrap and I thought it was actually quite good. The fittings on the bottom of the strap and on the bag are metal, and the top connects by velcro, which may not seem that great, but it’s a very strong connection:

There’s also a shoulder strap, metal connections:

And a protective plastic cover for the entire bag:
As I said before, I’ll be keeping this one, I can live with a slightly snug fit.

Dave - thanks for the suggestion of this bag, I hope the photos are helpful.

-kirk

Kirk - fantastic help! Thank u so much for taking time to do all that. As the one “reviewer” said - he found the bag “relaxed” (stretched) just a tad after awhile - maybe you’ll find that too. It’s fabric and foam - it won’t get tighter over time. And snug and fit is better than loose and sloppy.

Its a shame Yamaha skimped on their branded bag. It’s ok for what it is but ... its not clear to me it will protect it from all that much more than scratches. I won’t put it through any rugged handling tests to find out one way or other.

Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: MotiDave] #2974280 02/07/19 03:45 PM
K
KorgyPorky Offline
K
As an allaround keyboard..

What types of sounds in modx/montage could use some improvement?

Parsonally i think the analogue solo sounds don’t cut it.
But thats about it for the modx as a live instrument..

The montage as a studio instrument might be a different storry..

Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: KorgyPorky] #2974295 02/07/19 04:52 PM
10k Club
Online Content
10k Club
Originally Posted By: KorgyPorky

Analog synth and tonewheel organ sounds are always second rate in a straight sample-based system.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our new video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out!
Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: AnotherScott] #2974309 02/07/19 06:08 PM
K
KorgyPorky Offline
K

Analog synth and tonewheel organ sounds are always second rate in a straight sample-based system.

Thats probably true...
but then its not a fully sample based instrumemt...
Altough the FM part does not add much in this case...

I am pretty much convinced the Next iteration of Montage will also have a VA engine

I doubt yamaha’s moddeling technollogies will ever find their way into the Montage/modx..

Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: AnotherScott] #2974641 02/08/19 10:11 PM
10k Club
Online Content
10k Club
My own pet peeve for something Yamaha implements differently from everyone else is Transpose. If I have a LH Bass split, and a singer wants to change the key of the song, the Transpose function doesn't work well, because it doesn't really change the pitch of the notes being generated by the keys... instead, it shifts which note commands the keys are sending out (I believe the MIDI transmit is what is changing). That is, the actual note of the split remains fixed, instead the physical split point changes. So some of your bass split keys may not be bass notes anymore. Sucks.

Revelation (courtesy of Bad Mister over at Yamaha's forum)... hit the Utility button, and there is a global Note Shift parameter. Do your transposition there, and then all your split points remain at their normal physical locations, yay! (Presumably this is to be avoided if you're controlling external MIDI devices... if MIDI transmit isn't changing, then the internal and external sounds will be in different keys...)

Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: AnotherScott] #2974689 02/09/19 02:38 AM
M
MotiDave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
M
My own pet peeve for something Yamaha implements differently from everyone else is Transpose. If I have a LH Bass split, and a singer wants to change the key of the song, the Transpose function doesn't work well, because it doesn't really change the pitch of the notes being generated by the keys... instead, it shifts which note commands the keys are sending out (I believe the MIDI transmit is what is changing). That is, the actual note of the split remains fixed, instead the physical split point changes. So some of your bass split keys may not be bass notes anymore. Sucks.

Revelation (courtesy of Bad Mister over at Yamaha's forum)... hit the Utility button, and there is a global Note Shift parameter. Do your transposition there, and then all your split points remain at their normal physical locations, yay! (Presumably this is to be avoided if you're controlling external MIDI devices... if MIDI transmit isn't changing, then the internal and external sounds will be in different keys...)

It’s that same implementation on i assume all Yamaha boards - it was on Motif, MOXF, and MODX. It’s on purpose - i forget Phil’s energetic defense on the superiority of this implementation. I think You’d have to detune all devices, of course. No different than tuning one guitar a half step down and the other guitarist is in 440. Conversely, if another device was sending key on/off etc data into MODX, you’d be fine as MODX would receive the correct note signal and then detune (note shift) the same as internally played notes.

It greatly reduces the value of transpose buttons on the top panel, I never need to “transpose”, I need to note shift. I almost always have splits etc so ... as noted above. Beware.

Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: AnotherScott] #2974933 02/10/19 04:17 PM
P
polo Offline
P
[quote=jimkost2002]
Many people with MODX8 are not experiencing any issues, either.

And it seems that many are...

There are complaints about the keybeds (both the 88 key and 61/76 key versions) on other forums as well.

One guy bought a MODX6 and noticed that some keys were up to 3mm higher than other keys.

He returned it and his replacement now has keys that are 1mm higher than others.

Seems like these keybeds and/or quality control have slipped.

He attached a picture of his new one - you can clearly see some of the keys are indeed higher than others.

Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: polo] #2974936 02/10/19 04:37 PM
G
GregC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
G
Originally Posted By: polo
[quote=jimkost2002]
Many people with MODX8 are not experiencing any issues, either.

And it seems that many are...

There are complaints about the keybeds (both the 88 key and 61/76 key versions) on other forums as well.

One guy bought a MODX6 and noticed that some keys were up to 3mm higher than other keys.

He returned it and his replacement now has keys that are 1mm higher than others.

Seems like these keybeds and/or quality control have slipped.

He attached a picture of his new one - you can clearly see some of the keys are indeed higher than others.

I don't have MODX . I think 'complaints ' need to be clarified

" This keyboard does not feel like my Kawaii or Roland stage piano. I don't like it "

I don't consider that a ' complaint '.

" My new keyboard has sticky keys, the keybed feel is uneven, its much more loose/noisey etc" .

That might suggest a defective keybed or assembly. If I read that, I call that a valid
complaint.

Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: GregC] #2974938 02/10/19 04:48 PM
P
polo Offline
P
Originally Posted By: GregC
" This keyboard does not feel like my Kawaii or Roland stage piano. I don't like it "

I don't think anyone is talking about those types of things.

The complaints are from actual owners complaining about the keybeds having loose keys, noisy keys, uneven keys, etc.

Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: polo] #2974942 02/10/19 05:19 PM
K
KorgyPorky Offline
K

The complaints are from actual owners complaining about the keybeds having loose keys, noisy keys, uneven keys, etc.

Most owners don’t have any complaints at all about the keybed..

I guess those who have a faulty keybed are better off contacting Yamaha, from my experience they are pretty good at handling warranty calls..

My modx 8 keybed is what it is, its simple straightforward and good to play
If i wanted a stage piano, i would have bought a kawai or a nord..

Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: KorgyPorky] #2974949 02/10/19 05:56 PM
G
GregC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
G

Most owners don’t have any complaints at all about the keybed..

I guess those who have a faulty keybed are better off contacting Yamaha, from my experience they are pretty good at handling warranty calls..

My modx 8 keybed is what it is, its simple straightforward and good to play
If i wanted a stage piano, i would have bought a kawai or a nord..

I am somewhat interested in the ModX88. Your point is fair- I would not expect it
to be in the class of a Roland RD stage or a Kawaii digital piano.

I also believe some defects have to be expected. If 500 ModX's were sold in 2 months,
and 5 had flakey keybeds, thats not a big deal, in terms of defect rate.

If 100 out of 500 were defective,thats a bigger problem and I would not be interested in the ModX until later.

Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: GregC] #2975108 02/11/19 04:58 PM
N4dr0j Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Sorry if this has been asked; in terms of synth capabilities, how does the MODX compare to the FA series? The FA is a 16 part VA synth, so maybe can't be reliably compared to the FM synth in the ModX, but any thoughts would be nice. Mostly thinking about pads and big soundscapes, not so much leads.

Nord E4 SW73
Yamaha MODX7
Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: N4dr0j] #2975134 02/11/19 06:42 PM
N4dr0j Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ignore last post, just spent a couple of hours down the rabbit hole of YouTube looking at videos. I had no idea I wanted this until now. The synth section is stupid deep, the ability to install Montage soundsets is great, the ROMpler sounds are pretty good - good enough for a cover band. Definitely a replacement for the FA-06.

By the looks of it, I could probably justify the price. The question is: £1200 for the weighted, or £1090 for the 76 key?

Weighted would go well with my Electro 4...but the portability of the 76 key is good, and I can't see myself having many gigs where I'd need BOTH keyboards...

Nord E4 SW73
Yamaha MODX7
Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: N4dr0j] #2975171 02/11/19 09:14 PM
konaboy Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
anybody using their MODX to create multi-timbral performances for external sequencing?

I've been finding it tedious to use the category search to choose a performance for each part, as you have to select attribute "single" every time. otherwise it will "merge" the chosen performance with unpredictable results. it gets tedious to apply the filter, and if you forget, all bets are off.

the root of the trouble is that all patches in the MODX are a performance, which can be a "MULTI PART Performances" or "SINGLE PART Performance". I find the Motif architecture easier where a performance is made of one or more voices. In MODX the parts of a performance are other performances. too much recursion for my brain to handle... smile

shouldn't the attribute filter default to "single" when using part search? that would improve the workflow greatly when building multi-timbral performances.

(sorry, a bit hard to explain but if you've done this, you'll know exactly what i mean)

one time I accidentally forgot to shift-click on the category button (part search) and unfortunately replaced my performance with a new performance, wiping out my work with no way to undo. lesson learned, save performance often!

i'd like to hear from other owners how they are getting on with this, in case i'm missing some trick, just me that's struggling a bit?

if you want the official guide from Yamaha then click below.
https://www.yamahasynth.com/modx-category/mastering-modx-using-category-search

Last edited by konaboy; 02/11/19 09:44 PM.

hang out with me at woody piano shack
Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: konaboy] #2975251 02/12/19 08:37 AM
M
mojkarma Offline
M
As a Montage owner I don't have the slightest problems in choosing the right performance I need for building multitimbral blocks. The single performances are colored green. The multipart ones are blue. As simple as that. If you sequence, you select exclusively the green ones, in the same way as you would choose on the Motif a (single) voice or a program on a Kronos.
So simply apply the same logic: On the Motif all voices are simply one part voices. Do the same on the Montage/Modx. Just select the green ones which are the same as "voices" on Motif.

On the other hand, the Montage/Modx has quite a few advances over the Motif. All your programming and editing is done in the same mode.
Here a simple example where the Motif has disadvantages: imagine you need to transpose/note shift a voice in a Motif Performance for more than two octaves. As we know, Yamaha unfortunately doesn't understand that long time user request so you cannot do it inside a performance, instead, you have to edit the voice and to additional note shift by transposing on the oscillator level. Then you have to save that new voice and then you can use it in your performance. And you always have to take care of your user voices before you edit them, because you sometimes don't know if they are a part of a performance and whether a change on the voice will also change your performance.

All those problems are gone on the Montage/Modx because you simply do all editing, including the aforementioned note shift over two octaves inside the performance.

IMO, the new system outweighs by far the old system as it is on Motif or other similar keyboards like Kronos. I wouldn't want to go back.

Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: konaboy] #2975296 02/12/19 12:18 PM
G
GregC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
G
Originally Posted By: konaboy
anybody using their MODX to create multi-timbral performances for external sequencing?

I've been finding it tedious to use the category search to choose a performance for each part, as you have to select attribute "single" every time. otherwise it will "merge" the chosen performance with unpredictable results. it gets tedious to apply the filter, and if you forget, all bets are off.

the root of the trouble is that all patches in the MODX are a performance, which can be a "MULTI PART Performances" or "SINGLE PART Performance". I find the Motif architecture easier where a performance is made of one or more voices. In MODX the parts of a performance are other performances. too much recursion for my brain to handle... smile

shouldn't the attribute filter default to "single" when using part search? that would improve the workflow greatly when building multi-timbral performances.

(sorry, a bit hard to explain but if you've done this, you'll know exactly what i mean)

one time I accidentally forgot to shift-click on the category button (part search) and unfortunately replaced my performance with a new performance, wiping out my work with no way to undo. lesson learned, save performance often!

i'd like to hear from other owners how they are getting on with this, in case i'm missing some trick, just me that's struggling a bit?

if you want the official guide from Yamaha then click below.
https://www.yamahasynth.com/modx-category/mastering-modx-using-category-search

I am very interested in this point or discussion as recording [ not gigging] is my #1
priority.

straightforward or reasonable workflow when recording is also necessary for me.

I am interested in youTubes or videos that clarify and illustrate MODX recording to a DAW, if they are available

Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: GregC] #2975355 02/12/19 04:26 PM
konaboy Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Hi and thanks mojkarma, good to hear that you're getting on fine. perhaps it's just me, I don't find it easy to distinguish between the green and blue fonts on the display, a bit color blind perhaps.

and who wants to look at the display when auditioning sounds? not me anyway smile I use the increment button whilst playing and listening.

it got a bit boring to apply the "single" filter every time I wanted to change a sound, it should be the default when loading a part into a multi-timbral performance.

Note that everything is fine when selecting performances for playing on the keyboard, it's just constructing multis that I found tedious.

Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: konaboy] #2975359 02/12/19 04:50 PM
10k Club
Online Content
10k Club
Originally Posted By: konaboy
it got a bit boring to apply the "single" filter every time I wanted to change a sound, it should be the default when loading a part into a multi-timbral performance.

Any performance with so much as a single split or layer is a "multi-timbral performance" and I don't know that you necessarily only want only "singles" just because your performance already has something in it. But it would be good if it remembered your last selection and kept that filter until you changed it, or a least until you navigated to another performance.

Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: AnotherScott] #2975365 02/12/19 05:17 PM
konaboy Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
yes scott, that would be an even better solution.

I'd appreciate a "performance lock" so that you can prevent accidentally leaving the performance that you are working on, this can happen by choosing the wrong type of category search, or nudging the data encoder. this synth has no ctrl-z...

Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: konaboy] #2975395 02/12/19 07:07 PM
zephonic Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Undo functionality would be a great addition. If only to compare before/after.
Multi-level undo would be even better, but not sure how to implement that with the current UI.

Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: zephonic] #2975430 02/13/19 12:03 AM
G
GregC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
G
Originally Posted By: zephonic
Multi-level undo would be even better, but not sure how to implement that with the current UI.

Even the 8 year Kronos has its version of undo. Its called " Compare ".

It works perfect. Its a huge time saver.

Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: GregC] #2975447 02/13/19 01:46 AM
M
MotiDave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
M
Originally Posted By: zephonic

Even the 8 year Kronos has its version of undo. Its called " Compare ".

It works perfect. Its a huge time saver.

MODX has a compare and works fine as long as you’re still in the Performance you started editing. It compares what you have NOW vs what was last saved and you can switch back and forth. But if you exit a Perf without saving, it doesn’t save anything as you didn’t ask it to. If you then go back, whatever you were doing is gone and you’re back to what was previously saved.

i think the function idea would be the equivalent of “are you sure you want to exit without saving?” That you get on a computer app. Pros and cons.. i have exited on accident without saving and wished i was warned once ... or twice.

Page 32 of 39 1 2 30 31 32 33 34 38 39

Moderated by  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner