Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kronos question: Using Set List to send ext. prog changes

My present rig is a Nord Wave and Kronos 73 (original one).

I've never bothered to learn how to use Set List to send program changes over MIDI to an external synth. I want to be able to create some (not all) entries in Set List to send prog changes to the Wave (since that Nord only uses a "linear" program system - no easy way to get from "Bank One, Program 13" to "Bank 4, Program 57" besides manually changing the bank and twirling the knob.

Is there a way to simply select the program I want on the Nord and "tell" the Kronos that's the program I want stored? Or do I have interpret / translate bank and program slot?

I've never done this before, hoping a black belt ninja will take pity and give me a quick heads up.

Help me Obi-Wan, you're my only hope.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Every time you click on a Set List box it sends:

Bank Select: 0

Bank Select (fine): 0 through 127 [this number matches the Set List you have active]

Program: 0 through 127 [this number matches the set list box number]

There is no way to change this relationship to my knowledge.

Busch.

Busch:

This means I'd need to use some external device (like that Set List Maker program on an iPad) to "translate" the Kronos MIDI output (as you described above) into a "this Kronos Set List box equals these program changes to these external devices"?

So even if I set up Combis with external devices, once I'm in Set List mode it's just going to MIDI output as above?

Tim

Not sure I agree with that answer Busch!

What Timwat surely needs is to set up a COMBI with the relevant external MIDI address and PROGRAMME CHANGE number, then associate the COMBI with a setlist position??

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

What Timwat surely needs is to set up a COMBI with the relevant external MIDI address and PROGRAMME CHANGE number, then associate the COMBI with a setlist position??

This. I believe you'll need to set a part in the combi to EXT2 with the MDI channel of the Nord. Then you can put in the appropriate bank and program change numbers. I do think you'll need to figure those out by trial and error though, unless Nord has documented it.

"If you can't dazzle them with dexterity, baffle them with bullshit."

Agreed - often the numbering varies by manufacturer - some count 0 - 126 and others 1- 127...........
Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

That is the correct answer. Thank you. I was looking at Midi Monitor but only with Programs in Set List, not Combis.

Busch.

Right, a Combi on the Kronos can change the patch on an attached device, using the EXT or EX2 parameters. And the Combi can be assigned to a Set List slot, and I would expect the Combi to function the same way (i.e. send those EXT/EX2 parameters) regardless of whether taht Combi was called up in Set List mode or in Combi mode. If Set List mode *also* sends its own Program Change messages when Slots are selected as Busch describes, then it sounds like the answer might be to make sure the Nord Wave is set to respond to some MIDI channel *other* than the one the Kronos is sending on upon selection of Set List slots (probably the Global channel?), and set your Combi's EXT/EX2 parameters to then send their Program Changes on whatever channel you have set the Nord Wave to receive on.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Got it - so for each of the songs I want to instantiate a Nord program change, create a Combi with one of the slots being an external device (with correct MIDI channel)...then figure out what Nord's program scheme is to point to the the correct program call.

Then, just the Combis with external device slots will "dial out" to the Nord and change programs, other Set List items (like programs) won't dial out.

Is that right?

If so, now I gotta start experimenting with the two connected to figure out Nord's program conventions.

Got it - so for each of the songs I want to instantiate a Nord program change, create a Combi with one of the slots being an external device (with correct MIDI channel)...then figure out what Nord's program scheme is to point to the the correct program call.

Then, just the Combis with external device slots will "dial out" to the Nord and change programs, other Set List items (like programs) won't dial out.

Is that right?

If so, now I gotta start experimenting with the two connected to figure out Nord's program conventions.

Correct.

You will, as mentioned by Another Scott above, have to watch out for which channel the Nord uses as it's Control Channel and make sure the Kronos channel does not conflict.

AFAIR my Roland and Kronos Control Channels are DIFFERENT - the Nord might be like this. You may have to fiddle with it.

So first thing is to determine which patches you want on the Nord and map them to a COMBI in the Kronos.

Make sure the other patches (Programs in Korg speak) are not set to EXT/2 and turn off any internal sounds you don't want in them.

Once you have set up a COMBI for each Nord patch you can click the drop down at the top of the COMBI page and select "Add to Set List".

Rename the Set List Slot in the resulting dialogue to the name of your song/patch.

Once in Set List mode you can change the colours and positions of the Nord tracks to intersperse them with internal or dummy Kronos sounds as you wish.

Jobs a carrot! :2thu:

Correct. I use the Kronos 88 to select patches from my Jupiter-80. Works like a dream. The only issue that had me scratching my head for a while were the LSM and MSB codes that need to be entered in the Combi parameters. These should be available in your Nord manual.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

• 5 years later...

So are you saying that when you call up a combination while in Combi mode, the desired program is selected from the external keyboard, but when you select the slot in Setlist mode associated with that Combi this does not occur?

After you select a Setlist slot and then press "Combi" does the screen display the Combi you saved to that slot?

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Hi. Thanks for the reply. I got that figured out thanks to some help here and at the korg forum. It was a conflict with the karma channels.

However now I am trying to send cc messages when I change programs from the set list. It appears that The knobs, buttons, sliders in the control surface (ext settings) do not save their status with the set list nor with the Combi . So I have to readjust the controls each time rather than having the Krono"s remember my settings from each Comby or Setlist number.

if you know how to save control surface settings from combito combi that would be a great help to me. Thanks

• 10 months later...
Guys, I have been going in circles for days on this. I have a combi in my set list and when I hit that, I want a specific patch to come up on my Nord Stage 3 via midi. The input I've received mostly say "this is easy", "just set the midi channel and patch number to what you need in the control surface and it's done". To someone who's brand new to this aspect...it's not intuitive. Can someone please give me a basic, baby style walk thru of each step required on the Kronos to get this done? Specific things including where to input the needed info for the Nord, what that specific input that is, and all that needs to be done with global settings, combi settings, and setlist slot setting. I will be eternally grateful....

You may need to enter the correct MSB and LSB codes in the Kronos for it to select programs from the Wave. Hopefully, you can find these codes in the Wave's manual.

Once you have the codes, to enter them in the Kronos:

In Combi mode, select the "Timbre Parameter" tab at the bottom of the touch screen, then select the "MIDI" tab. There you will be able to enter the MSB and LSB codes in the channel to which the Wave is assigned.

- George Bernard Shaw