Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Here Comes The Sun

marczellm

I'll be guest playing with a local Beatles tribute (not the wig types) and so far Here Comes The Sun seems the most interesting keyboardwise. I'm trying to resist the temptation to borrow/rent a Moog (LP) for the occasion, as I arrived at my current rig (NS2 + Roland JUNO-G) with the concept that these two boards can do everything for me reasonably well, and I didn't max out their combined capabilities yet.

These are the different patches I'll be needing:

- Moog square lead on the intro with a big glide down (reach for glide knob?)

- Strings all along (left hand)

- Moog filtered lead on verse 2 with modulation - use aftertouch? is this a saw or what?

- Moog saw lead on the bridge with several octave-jumps

- Woodwinds at the end of the bridge

- Moog triangle lead during last verse.

Limitations of my boards:

- JUNO doesn't do Moog-ish stuff very well, the filter is very digital and the portamento does weird stuff to PCM samples.

- JUNO doesn't have aftertouch.

- NS2 can only do 2 synth sounds at once (VA or sample-based).

- NS2 synth has only one oscillator which can be used in detune mode but only one octave apart, while the second and fourth Moog leads in the song use a two-octave detune.

Here's how I plan to do it:

- Split the NS2 two ways. Left side controls a strings patch on the JUNO. Right side is the verse 2 lead, because it needs aftertouch. (Also controlling the JUNO because it's a 2-octave detune lead? Or make it a layer of a Nord sound and a JUNO sound?)

- Create a multi ("performance") on the JUNO that looks like this:

Ch1: Square lead

Ch2: Saw lead (bridge) (controlling NS2)

Ch3: Woodwinds

Ch4: Triangle lead

Ch5: Strings (for the Nord to control)

(Ch6: Verse 2 lead (for the Nord to control) (?))

so I can cycle through the Parts in the order of the song while the Nord stays on the same Program.

Reference:

[video:youtube]

I just shared this in case it's interesting to anyone, but feel free to recommend alternative solutions or improvements.

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was doing this song a few years ago and it was great having those isolated tracks to work from. As you probably know The Beatles used a big modular Moog. These were notorious for only staying in tune for a minute or two so it's likely that the Moog part was pieced together by punching in multiple times throughout the song. That could also account for how the Moog waveforms vary in different parts of the song. Anyway, the most important thing in getting the overall effect of the Moog is having a Synth that will play in Mono Mode. A dual VCO Synth is preferable as you want some Oscillator drift to simulate the out of tune Moog. I used a Roland Jupiter 6 in Mono Mode when I played it but it could have been done reasonably well on any two or three Oscillator analog Synth with Mono capability. A Moog Voyager would be great for this. The old Moogs didn't have aftertouch or velocity so modulation would have been programmed in the sound or applied by hand with a wheel or other control.
C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

I now found out that it's a little bit simpler.

Intro lead is a triangle.

Verse 2 lead is two triangles one octave apart.

Last verse lead is two triangles two octaves apart.

So it's basically the same lead sound with that one octave shift knob turned.

Life is subtractive.

Yes I play it occassionally in two different Beatles bands and had fun digging out the multiple keyboard parts too. I simplify the synth stuff, using just one Moog sound on my S80 for the lead synth figures in verses 2 and 3 and the rising prominent line during the bridge. My top board I have split into strings toward the bottom which as you said, are doing chords and lnes during most of the song; a chiff type flute for the second half of the intro and the bits where it doubles or echoes back the vocal melody at spots in the second verse; and for the big harmonized line at the end of the bridge leading back into the third verse, I play it on the flute and the moog in thirds. The downward "swoop" at the end of the intro, sounds to me like it's more discreet notes, if a little "blurry," than one big pitch-bend, I don't have it matched exactly but I think evoke it fairly effectively with a series of quick up-and-down chromatic phrases on flute-blended-with-synth working their way down. Love performing the song (and listening to it!).

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

Great vocal song, but best when cheesy keyboard parts done on Beatles new toy are omitted.

Find 675 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Disagree completely there! Abbey Road has often been praised for actually how tastefully the Moog was used and I agree with that assessment, the sounds here and on "Because" are lovely, understated and not cheesy or obnoxious imvho......extra impressive for the fact the group was such early adapters. (Not that they weren't prone to some bad-taste keyboard sound choices at other spots in their catalog.)

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

The downward swoop on my NS2 is perfectly replicated if you turn the glide/glissando knob up while holding the G# and then hit a single low note.

Life is subtractive.

• 1 month later...

In the below video I explain my setup for Here Comes The Sun. The video is in Hungarian but there are English subtitles.

Life is subtractive.

Nice!

I love seeing other peoples' approaches to things. There are so many ways to attack pulling off some of these challenges. Some are dictated by the capabilities of the rig, others by the preferences of the player.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Just got home from the Beatles tribute gig. I was a guest and I played alternatingly keys (organ, strings, Wurly), bongo, tambourine and sang background vocals in

- And I Love Her

- Get Back

- Hello Goodbye

- Here Comes The Sun

- Let It Be

- Hey Jude

- Twist And Shout (encore, jumped to the tambourine because what the heck)

I got very positive reactions about my stage presence: I tried consciously having fun and it worked :) I had a blast!

Life is subtractive.

• 1 year later...

Zombie thread alert.

So this is one of the reasons I love KC. We're playing a wedding at the end of January and HKTS is the first dance. I have a NS2 as well, and am going to use a lot of what's in Marc Z's video :thu:

@Marc, may I ask you a question - in your video at 2:33 you play a sound from the Juno, but adjust modulation with the NS2's wheel. How have you done that? If I set a section to "MIDI input only" (manual p50) then the NS2's controllers don't act on that section. Similarly if I use Dual Keyboard?

Cheers, Mike.

In the below video I explain my setup for Here Comes The Sun. The video is in Hungarian but there are English subtitles.

Great video!

This is why I play Hammond, EP and AP. I respect the artists here who can program and change sounds so fast! So beyond my capabilities.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Somewhat OT, but Beatles related. I recently heard "Baby You're A Rich Man" on the radio, and with the latest remasters of the Beatles catalog they really brought up Paul's bass parts. The song sounded awesome.

It made me start thinking about that cool Clavioline part, and went looking on YouTube for details. I found this video of a group doing it to the nines; they appear to be the Dutch version of the Fab Faux. Amazing live versions, no wigs, great players. And they used a real Clavioline on stage. Talk about detail oriented!

Interesting. I wasn't familiar with the Clavioline, so I did some searching. Here's an excerpt from SOS which offers up some additional interesting tidbits regarding "Baby You're a Rich Man":

Then, in 1967, the Beatles released 'Baby You're A Rich Man', a seminal recording that was later to be included on the Yellow Submarine soundtrack. 'Baby You're A Rich Man' was remarkable for all manner of reasons. Firstly, it seems to have been bolted together from two unreleased Beatles tracks (one apparently by Lennon, the other by McCartney) written the previous year, and it was the first track that the band recorded away from their home-from-home, Abbey Road. Secondly, the backing vocals were sung by Mick Jagger of the Rolling Stones. But it was for John Lennon's possibly drug-induced experiments on the Clavioline that it is best remembered, with one apocryphal story suggesting that he created its memorable wail by rolling an orange up and down the keyboard!

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Somewhat OT, but Beatles related. I recently heard "Baby You're A Rich Man" on the radio, and with the latest remasters of the Beatles catalog they really brought up Paul's bass parts. The song sounded awesome.

It made me start thinking about that cool Clavioline part, and went looking on YouTube for details. I found this video of a group doing it to the nines; they appear to be the Dutch version of the Fab Faux. Amazing live versions, no wigs, great players. And they used a real Clavioline on stage. Talk about detail oriented!

That was bad-ass.

I think--google may prove me wrong, but I'm too lazy right now--that McCartney thought this would be the song they would do on the Our World broadcast. Lennon hated it (or maybe just wanted his own song in the mix) and wrote "All You Need Is Love" instead. Clearly the right song won out there.

I do remember Ian MacDonald basically saying this was McCartney at his pot-headed, self-indulgent laziest, writing one-chord songs with no pulse and calling them done. In our house, however, there is a 10-year-old and an 8-year-old who will burst out into "How does it feel to be..." etc. at odd times, a habit they inherited from their mentally unstable father.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

" Telstar is THE Clavioline song."

I humbly submit "Runaway" as THE Clavioline song, but I could argue for both...:)

From the same SOS article I quoted earlier:

In the USA, the Clavioline appeared to come to prominence in 1961 through the music of Del Shannon, and in particular his number one hit song 'Runaway'. But it now seems that the instrument used to create the track's instrumental break possibly the first 'synth solo' ever released on record was not a Clavioline, but a custom instrument called a Musitron, which was assembled by Shannon's keyboard player and co-writer, Max Crook.

Based on a Clavioline, the Musitron incorporated numerous other unspecified electronic bits and pieces that made it possible for Crook to create a wider range of tones and special effects. Later, he was to build another hybrid, which he dubbed the Sonocon. This had pitch-bend and was also capable of generating percussion sounds that the Clavioline could not.

Dan

Yeah but Telstar was instrumental with the Clavioline throughout. Joe Meek. Instrumentals trump vocal songs by a wide margin, IMO. Hit #1 UK and USA 1962. America's answer to Sputnik. EPIC!!!!

Busch.

Hey! No politics!!

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Archived