Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I just got my first electric guitar!!!

wjfkddf

This is 2013 HSS Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster Brown Sunburst Electric Guitar!

Ordered it used from Guitar center for $250. I'm gonna have to test out if everything is working fine once I get the cable, but guitar itself, looks totally new! (I feel so lucky)! Also got Peavey vypyr 15w modeling Amplifier.

No case came with it.

CLICK ON THE IMAGES FOR LARGER VIEWS!!!

http://s3.postimg.org/48io9j37j/20140512_150657.jpg

http://s3.postimg.org/61q6bldrz/20140512_150759.jpg

http://s3.postimg.org/ngaejvawv/20140512_150907.jpg

http://s3.postimg.org/ccqse9pmn/20140512_150926.jpg

http://s3.postimg.org/5jqfhzytb/20140512_150941.jpg

http://s3.postimg.org/4iq6svhtr/20140512_150951.jpg

http://s3.postimg.org/gecgxo7b3/20140512_151010.jpg

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool :rawk:

I like the sunburst color scheme.

The HSS configuration is pretty good too. I tried one out and liked it but don't need another axe right now.

Sounds like a good deal too. $250 is about right for a used MIM

GC is usually pretty good with their 30-day return policy. If you do find an issue they will take it back.

As with any guitar, new or used, it's always a good idea to take it to a reputable guitar tech to get it set up properly. A bad setup is one of the leading causes of cramps and learning bad habits because of wrong string height or intonation issues. It can make playing so hard that you give up.

Have fun let us know how it goes and thanks for the pics :)

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind"- George Orwell

cool :taz:

and that my favorite color for a fender :thu:

sorry for my english i'm a french Canadien

fender 65 Twin Reverb reissue

Fender Stratocaster 1999 MIA

Fender Stratocaster 2013 MIA

Godin Artisan ST-5

Godin LG Signature

Seagull S6

Yes I love Godin guitar

Very cool! :rawk::cool: I envy you that feeling, getting your first electric guitar, and almost wish I could re-experience that; I remember, years ago...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Looks Great! :thu: Good luck with it.

Buy a case!!! You know the old saying, "Case it or replace it." You can score a generic hard case at MF or somewhere for cheap.

If you play cool, you are cool.

congrats, dude! my 1st electric was one of these:

http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b506/dtlaguitars/EBAY%202013/04%20APRIL%202013/1970s%20Univox%20Lucy/1970s_Univox_Lucy_007_zpsfa08314a.jpg

I still have it...well, the neck and body, at least need to get a new pickguard and pickups sometime.

Is cheap guitar bag no good?

A gig bag protects against dust, dirt, rain and very minor bumps. A generic hard shell case for a strat is $60 at MF. Very strongly recommended.

If you play cool, you are cool.

Is cheap guitar bag no good?

A gig bag protects against dust, dirt, rain and very minor bumps. A generic hard shell case for a strat is $60 at MF. Very strongly recommended.

Much agreed.

And some kind of strap locks! I like the Dunlop StrapLoks, but there are all kinds of strap-locking devices out there, with various pros and cons.

Think of a hard-shell case and StrapLoks as cheap insurance! And a pound of prevention worth a ton of cure.

Your electric guitar will fit in that case; it will fit in virtually any case that is made for a "Stratocaster", "Strat", or "Strat-style".

Note that the black version of that case in the listing that you posted a link to costs $49.99 US $, as opposed to the up-charge for the fancy "tweed" case, listed there for $79.99 US $.

this one is cheaper, but I don't know if it's for electric guitar:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Washburn-Rover-Travel-Guitar-Case-107429417-i1873400.gc

That is a case made to specifically fit that smaller than usual Washburn Rover "Travel Guitar"- not only will it not fit your Strat, it will not fit most other guitars, acoustic or electric.

Tweed looks awful very quickly (at least in my case...) so go with the cheaper black.

I don't think a case really necessary if you aren't leaving the house with it at the moment. I would never put my Gibsons/similar in a gig bag and feel safe. But Fenders are kind of indestructible (within reason) so I don't have qualms about bringing them to gigs in a gig bag.

That's what I'm worried about, I'm going to be taking this electric guitar to my college dormitory after summer ends and kinda scared that someone will steal it... I mean, even if I get a lock and good case, people can just break and steal... and it's my first electric guitar too!!!

I had my room robbed my freshman year of college. You know what dorm robbers want?

Cash

Jewelry

Small portable electronics

Clothes

And anything else that is small and pawnable or usable, that won't attract the attention of campus security. Because dorm thieves are, in a sense, on foreign ground. They stand out a bit...and hauling off something large makes them even more obvious.

None of my musician buddies even had a scare about something being stolen from their dorm rooms.

(Gigs, OTOH, are a different story entirely- there, you hpgotta each your stuff like a hawk.)

No, the real risk instruments face in dorm life is damage.

All that said, look into insurance. In some states, a family's homeowner's insurance covers their kids' dorm rooms.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Well here`s a tip, in case the exception to that rule pays you a visit.

Once you have your guitar case, get a lock-preferably more than one-for it. There should be loops for a padlock on the fasteners-get a padlock. You can also get a cable bike lock for the handle of the case, so someone can`t pick it up and walk away to figure out the padlock problem later. Put that cable around something that would be pretty hard to walk out of your room with-like a bedframe.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Tweed looks awful very quickly (at least in my case...)

Ba - dum - >CHING< :rimshot::D:thu:;)

...the real risk instruments face in dorm life is damage.

All that said, look into insurance. In some states, a family's homeowner's insurance covers their kids' dorm rooms.

I've seen and HAD guitars that were on stands or in gig-bags unexpectedly (of course it was unexpected! :blush::D ) get knocked over or banged into; all too often, damage occurred. Besides wood or finish being damaged, things like knobs and pots and switches being damaged, screws and/or threaded-inserts being driven deeper into the body, tuners being bent or broken, nuts or bridges taking damage, pickguards getting cracked, all can and do occur in such incidents.

A good hard-shell case is the best protection; gig-bags aren't any real protection. And Danny's right, looking into your insurance options is an excellent idea. Skip's suggestion of locks isn't a bad idea, either.

Thanks for the reply guys, I've had my acoustic guitar in my dorm before for 2 years (I'm currently going into my final year). I'm just worryed about this because I'm getting a new roomate for my final year and just worried what type of guy he would be. For now, my housing status shows that I do not have any roomate; let's just hope that it'll stay that way.

If your acoustic lasted 2 years in the dorm, the Strat will probably do the same. Don't worry about it so much as we all have guitars that we would hate to lose to theft, fire, etc. At least your Strat is less expensive and it's a lot easier to replace a $250 dollar one than a $2,500 dollar one (you might not make the deductible on an insurance policy). I hope you never lose or sell your 1st guitar as I always wish I still had mine and I know it's not just the cost that counts...

+1 Don't buy the Washburn case as it won't fit the Strat

+1 Get the cheaper black case as it is easier to keep clean and tweed cases might draw unwanted attention as many more expensive Strats come in tweed cases.

+1 on a cable lock through the case handle and tied to the bed or a desk, etc., and lock the case.

Write down the serial number just in case [cha ching]...another thing you can do is remove the spring cover plate and mark the guitar with your initials or any form of ID that you can describe later and put the cover back on.

Here's hoping this guitar stays with you forever! Good Luck and have fun..."Don't worry, be happy". And remember the admin office will have complete records on your new room mate if something turns up missing so he may not be the primary suspect to worry about...

Take care, Larryz

my acoustic guitar was just a cheap $100 one kept in a cheap guitar bag in the corner of my dorm room. Let's just hope that no one will steal my strat. If I get enough money, I will get the black case and keep the guitar safely.

I wonder if there's a white hardshell case. That'll look so beautiful.

thank you all!

Well here`s a tip, in case the exception to that rule pays you a visit.

Once you have your guitar case, get a lock-preferably more than one-for it. There should be loops for a padlock on the fasteners-get a padlock. You can also get a cable bike lock for the handle of the case, so someone can`t pick it up and walk away to figure out the padlock problem later. Put that cable around something that would be pretty hard to walk out of your room with-like a bedframe.

+1,000 to all of this.

Good luck with it, if the ding bothers you take it back if you bought it brand new at a music store. (However if it plays real nice, and sounds great, it is just a ding, the next one may not play as easy, that is if this one does, so if it works well, the ding is rather meaningless, unless it is in a $4000 guitar. And you can fill it and paint it if it bothers you).

Archived