Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Music distribution options-2022

Remember when there was bandcamp?

Like many of us, I"d like to put out some music in a more formal way than SoundCloud. What are the pros and cons of the various options today? Sure, I"d love to be paid but even more powerful would be the ability to create a brand, however small and unique. A platform doesn"t auto-brand a content creator but perhaps some platforms are more conducive than others ⦠in 2022?

Thanks in advance.

My suggestion: sign up with a distribution service like Tunecore - you get to choose which services your music appears on. I hate how badly Spotify pays artists but the Spotify for Artists interface is great to use for 'your brand'. You'll see a link in my signature for the Spotify playlist featuring fellow forumites. Check some of them out to see how they've set things up for themselves.

Bandcamp still exists, and it's fantastic. There are lots of well-known artists and labels selling stuff on there, but they do a lot to promote independent artists in all genres. I use Bandcamp as my way to sell things, and then I use Distrokid to get it onto Apple Music, Amazon, Spotify, Tidal, etc.

Bandcamp still exists, and it's fantastic. There are lots of well-known artists and labels selling stuff on there, but they do a lot to promote independent artists in all genres. I use Bandcamp as my way to sell things, and then I use Distrokid to get it onto Apple Music, Amazon, Spotify, Tidal, etc.

As a consumer my prefered methods are first direct from artist so they get the most then Bandcamp, after that Amazon. I've given in due to ever increasing pricing and now using streaming for my musician type listening to checkout tunes I'm working on or new artists and music. So have to admit from that standpoint I do listen to a bigger variety of music that before would require me to purchase it.

I really miss the days of working in a record store listening to music all day. Also underground FM radio that played all sorts of music with cools DJ's throwing in some background on the music. Those two things really opened my ears up to a lot of music.

• Like 1

I don't think many people are selling their own stuff these days without a middleman, except anyone who's still selling CDs at shows. Bandcamp takes a small cut, so artists do well from them. I just wish they'd bundle their payments to the artists so that each one doesn't have a separate PayPal fee.

If I buy anything, I check band camp first and buy there if it's available so the artist gets the bigger cut.

Jonathan can you PM me your stuff on Spotify and will add you to the playlist? Sorry if you've already done so and I've forgotten :)

I've heard good things about DistroKid, haven't tried it yet myself.

"Pay only $19.99 to upload unlimited albums & songs for a year (our competitors charge at least 2x that just to upload one album)."

https://distrokid.com

Hey Ed - I too had heard (and still hear) good things about Distrokid but I had an awful experience (I've written about it here).

So I'm now with TuneCore who have been ok but have noticed their service has slipped a little recently as well...