Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

GSI Burn thread?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Been using the Burn rather than the Vent the past couple of months. The upper octave on VB3 (and my Voce V5+) is not as shrill with the Burn as it is with the Vent. That lower rotor AM pounding on the Vent is a little more subtle on the Burn as well. I still think the Vent overall sounds better but it does alleviate two things on the Vent that I think could be improved. Funny, I keep going back and forth with both. I'll use the Burn, then when I use the Vent it sounds better (except the two items I mentioned above). Then after a couple of months I'll switch to the Burn and like it; go back and forth; right now the Burn is being used. Nice to have choices. Also, I like the Burn better than the 'improved leslie' on VB3ii.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Hey Dave, I agree with much of your findings. I have a 2016 Mojo dual LE; has black coat finish and lighter action, I like the original sim in this organ very much; I tried the sim update back then, didn't care for it so I down dated it back to the original and still like it, better than my Mojo 61. The dual stays home mostly, gig the 61 with and without the lower manual. I find the 61 sim has too much mid color that can't be adjusted out/down enough for me. The raw organ is amazing, and sounds great with my 122 as well as a Vent II, but like you I have begun using the Burn with it. Recently acquired from a fellow forum member, thanks Mike. I like the distant mic set up at the moment; really nice clean sounding Leslie with the tube off. Some great effects and amps in the Burn, I find the tube overdrive circuit to be too much too quick. I gotta spend some time with it to see if I can find a happy medium for the o/d. I thought maybe it had a 12ax7 tube circuit but the guys in Italy wrote to me and state it uses a 12au7 circuit (ecc82) so there goes my idea of mellowing out the o/d. I have a stash of old 12au7 tubes, so I may try a GE or Sylvania in there. It's a keeper. Joe

Hey Dave, I agree with much of your findings. I have a 2016 Mojo dual LE; has black coat finish and lighter action, I like the original sim in this organ very much; I tried the sim update back then, didn't care for it so I down dated it back to the original and still like it, better than my Mojo 61. The dual stays home mostly, gig the 61 with and without the lower manual. I find the 61 sim has too much mid color that can't be adjusted out/down enough for me. The raw organ is amazing, and sounds great with my 122 as well as a Vent II, but like you I have begun using the Burn with it. Recently acquired from a fellow forum member, thanks Mike. I like the distant mic set up at the moment; really nice clean sounding Leslie with the tube off. Some great effects and amps in the Burn, I find the tube overdrive circuit to be too much too quick. I gotta spend some time with it to see if I can find a happy medium for the o/d. I thought maybe it had a 12ax7 tube circuit but the guys in Italy wrote to me and state it uses a 12au7 circuit (ecc82) so there goes my idea of mellowing out the o/d. I have a stash of old 12au7 tubes, so I may try a GE or Sylvania in there. It's a keeper. Joe

I have the Gemini module which has the Mojo software. I also liked the original leslie better than the newer leslie; I was thinking about going back to an older firmware update but included in the updates in addition to the leslie changes were wurli improvements, rhodes improvements, key click, CP80 improvements and others as well as the 'improved' leslie. So go back to the old leslie and lose the other improvements or stay at the latest update and deal with fixing the leslie through usage of the Burn/Vent; I opted for the latter. I wish Guido would have added the various leslie models as choices, i.e. kept the old ones in there so that you could go back to an older leslie and still have the other improvements.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Bought mine from a forumite, I needed a way to record at night or during the day w/o using to much volume w/ my B3/122 RV and just monitor w/ headphones... got a Trek II OBL-2 for the direct out to go along with it and also a Bruce Ashby Leslie Speed Switch for the rail..you have to program them with the small pad switches inside the Switch for all the units it will drive, which is many ... it has been a wonderful year recording with them. My COVID Hammond project. Never had a Vent...so no comparisons from me w/ that but out of all the Leslie Sim's I've owned through the years... and I had DLS122 plus many others ... I like the Burn's stereo image, speed switch and overall sound and o/d the best compared to my older sims of course... I find it very smooth slow to fast sonically...hard to get that sound exactly with micing ....at least for me ... the main driver in the inception for all this beside the Vol./recording issue was to have Leslie 'Stop' also...I wanted to spend time w/ Leslie Stop and my playing....watching Tony Monaco's live internet show through COVID made me realize I wanted to investigate 'stop' much more... I've really been focusing on piano for many many years, so this was a nice way back to my Hammond roots and a way to get back into it ...

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122