Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sequential Take 5

Rumors milling in time for Superbooth 2021

Specs were reportedly copied from a web page that was just taken down

OSCILLATORS

Two analog VCOs per voice

Continuously variable wave shape (sine, sawtooth, variable-width pulse) per oscillator

Hard sync: oscillator 1 syncs to oscillator 2

Square wave sub-octave generator (oscillator 1) per voice

Keyboard tracking on/off for each oscillator

Front-panel FM (frequency modulation)

MIXER

Oscillator 1 amount

Oscillator 1 sub-octave amount

Oscillator 2 amount

White noise amount

LOW-PASS FILTER

Four-pole, resonant, analog low-pass filter per voice, based on Prophet 5 Rev 4 design

Filter can be driven into self-oscillation with the Resonance control

Bi-polar filter envelope amount

ENVELOPES

Two 5-stage envelope generators (ADSR + delay) with variable routing (filter, amplifier, gate)

Velocity modulation of each envelope amount

Envelopes freely assignable to multiple modulation destinations

LOW FREQUENCY OSCILLATOR

Five wave shapes: triangle, sawtooth, reverse sawtooth, square, and random (sample and hold)

Clock sync (internal or external MIDI clock)

Freely assignable to multiple modulation destinations

DIGITAL EFFECTS

One dedicated reverb with damping, pre-delay, decay and tone

One multi-effect with stereo delay, BBD delay, tape delay, chorus, flanger, phaser, ring mod, vintage rotating speaker, distortion, high-pass filter

Dedicated Overdrive effect

VINTAGE KNOB

Recreates the characteristics of vintage synthesizers by introducing micro-fluctuations in oscillators, filter, and envelopes per voice.

AFTERTOUCH

Source: channel (mono) aftertouch with bi-polar amount

Aftertouch freely assignable to multiple modulation destinations

CLOCK

Master clock with tap tempo

BPM control and display

MIDI clock sync

ARPEGGIATOR

Up, down, up+down, random, assign modes

Syncs to MIDI clock

Re-latching arpeggiation

SEQUENCER

Polyphonic step sequencer with up to 64 steps with ties and rests

PERFORMANCE CONTROLS

Full-sized, semi-weighted, 3.5-octave premium Fatar keyboard with velocity and aftertouch

Spring-loaded pitch wheel with selectable range per program with independently adjustable upper and lower pitch wheel range transpose controls

Low-split mode creates two independent performance zones with different octave ranges

Hold switch latches held notes on

Polyphonic glide (portamento)

Unison (monophonic) mode with configurable voice count, from one to all five voices, and key modes

Factory switch: when off, the front panel is live; what you see is what you hear

PATCH MEMORY

128 user and 128 factory

IN/OUT

1 MIDI In, 1 MIDI Out, and 1 MIDI Thru port

USB port for bidirectional MIDI communication

1 Sustain/footswitch input

1 Expression pedal input

Main stereo output (2 x 1/4â³ phone jack)

Headphone out (stereo 1/4â³ phone jack)

POWER

IEC AC power inlet for internal power supply

Operates worldwide on voltages between 100 and 240 volts at 50 to 60 Hz; 14 watts maximum power consumption

PHYSICAL SPECS

Premium, 3.5-octave, semi-weighted Fatar keyboard

25â³ L x 12.75â³ W x 4.4â³ H (63.5 cm x 32.4 cm x 11.2 cm)

Weight: 17 lbs (7.7 kg)

Sadly, that video is just the guy talking about Take 5. This seems to be a recent trend in Youtube channels that focus on synth topics - when a new synth is anticipated, the eager Youtuber puts out a video of nothing but talk and repurposed images, just to try to harvest more YT likes and views. I don't think we should reward such low-effort YT posts.

I'm guessing most guys here would rather just read his article and skip the all-talk, no sound video

https://www.synthanatomy.com/2021/08/leak-sequential-take-5-new-5-voice-analog-polyphonic-synthesizer-from-dave-smith.html

http://www.synthanatomy.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/Sequential-Take-5.001.jpeg

Ok, so this is sort of like - how do we get a Prophet-like instrument closer to Mopho/Tetra price point. It looks reminiscent of more budget friendly instruments. So is this effort inspired by Uli"s forth coming Pro800 and Pro16? Or by Focusrite sensibilities? A bit of both?

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

While it clearly has a 2021 feature set, I was immediately struck by how much it felt like my two Tetras mashed into a box with proper keys & FX. Dave's effects are always good, but I've also been one who factored an effects box into a new synth purchase. There's less need here unless you have an understandable Eventide jones.

The Take 5 holds an interesting position in the current field, maybe somewhere between a Cobalt 8, a Wavestate and an MFB Dominion. Its easy to see it as either a middling centerpiece for a modest EDM rig or the analog member of something more digital. It'd also be a smashing graduation gift for someone who aches to have a bigger Prophet. :laugh::2thu:

How much push-back it may have against Uli's releases is irrelevant. It all depends on the draw for each individual. My take: while it could be seen as a reaction to some extent, its also part of the way Dave has always positioned himself in the market. People who can't drop $4K or so on an uber-Prophet will be happy to see this one appear. As went the post-P5 Prophet-600, so goes the Take 5 after the burst of Prophet-5s. We already know how good it sounds, so its a GAS/form factor thing. Kewl.

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

Looks like a great auxiliary board for a live setup. Size gives you several placement options, 16 program buttons makes patch selection a breeze, effects gives you a finished sound directly to the house, and price lets you think not too hard about it if you're gigging all the time. I'd be all over it if I still was.

I don't see this as having much to do with Behringer at all - but more like a niche product for a market that Dave Smith understands very well.

As my Pro 3 arrived today and I am staring at it as I read this, I immediately noticed the similarity in looks, but feature-wise they are quite different.

Or at least this seems to be the case based on what has been leaked so far. I see the Pro 3's primary differentiating factor being its Moog/OB/DSI filter trio.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Sequential's new owners: "Uli is *still* working on his polyphonics... this is our one-time chance. Go design an affordable polysynth, quick!"

Sequential: "So, how we do this asap... let's use the Pro 3 chassis, and a stripped-down Pro 3 architecture".

Not that I find anything wrong with this. On the contrary, I think it's a clever move. If it sounds right, it deserves ro sell very well.

Not big on that low F key layout. It's nice to see something a little bigger than 3 octaves, but I'd prefer a low C to G layout instead.

it's the same key formation as the Moog Mini Moog. People have done OK with it. ;)

:nopity:

Not big on that low F key layout. It's nice to see something a little bigger than 3 octaves, but I'd prefer a low C to G layout instead.

it's the same key formation as the Moog Mini Moog. People have done OK with it. ;)

Ya, I realize that. I had a MM ages ago, along with a Hammond M3. The M3 has the low F configuration as well. It bugged me back then sometimes as well on certain songs, but that's just me. Playing in E or drop D always "shortened the keyboard" if you wanted to play in the lowest octave. I'm in "the more keys, the better camp" I guess. All my boards these days are either 61, 76 or 88 keys.

If the Take 5 sounds anything close to a Prophet 5-lite, it should sell like hotcakes especially for those who want the flavor without the calories. :D:cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

If the Take 5 sounds anything close to a Prophet 5-lite, it should sell like hotcakes especially for those who want the flavor without the calories. :D:cool:

Brother D, let me know when you're hitting up our favorite dealer to try it.

Being able to try Prophet 5 in the same room as Moog One, OB-6, Prophet 6, etc. totally sold me on the Prophet 5. Would love to try P5 side by side with T5, but it would be even better to watch/hear you try them.

Exactly. To quote the song by The Clash, perhaps that writer was "overpowered by funk". I am in fact considering this for my long list now that I know it's a 5-voice synth that excels in funk and r&b. Great demos!

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Exactly. To quote the song by The Clash, perhaps that writer was "overpowered by funk". I am in fact considering this for my long list now that I know it's a 5-voice synth that excels in funk and r&b. Great demos!

It totally looks like it was designed to be paired with a Pro 3 - which you of course now have. I think you could do a lot with that dynamic duo - Take 5 for your chording duties, Pro 3 for lead/bass and modular textures.

On another forum, somebody complained the Soundcloud demos made him feel Take 5 is intended only for funk keyboard players.

First time I've seen "suitable for funk" stated as a bad thing.

Maybe whoever complained would prefer having the demos done by Nick Semrad, Matt Johnson or J3PO. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

On another forum, somebody complained the Soundcloud demos made him feel Take 5 is intended only for funk keyboard players.

First time I've seen "suitable for funk" stated as a bad thing.

Maybe whoever complained would prefer having the demos done by Nick Semrad, Matt Johnson or J3PO. :cool:

I wouldn't complain, that's for sure.

I think it's a given that at least 2 of the above 3 will get a Take 5 and put up a vid of it on YT.

No offense intended of course to the mystery employee that Dave forced to record the demos.