Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Frankenstand Gets A Makeover In The Lab

Now that I've spent some time with, and used the Gibraltar stand on a few gigs, I learned what was good, and what was not so good.

So back to the lab I went.

The Good:

It looks cool ;)

Modular

Easy Setup

Rock Solid

Not So Good:

Converting to standing

Unable to get top keyboard as close to bottom keyboard as I'd like

Not wide enough for the pedal board I'm making (I comprised on my last one and was never happy)

Solution:

The main vertical tubes are now the 43.5" variety from Gibraltar

I now use the yet to be painted 46" wide tube I got from Lowe's at the start to replace the 30" tube

The width of the stand opening is @38 inches.

I am using the other tubes for add-ons.

By widening the overall stand, I don't have to replace tubes when I want to sit or stand for a show. I just slide the horizontal tubes into proper position for a sit or stand gig.

The YC61 sits inside the two tall uprights.

Overview of new version:

Sfk3Xg.jpg

New Accessory 1: Arturia Minilab Deep Black. Will be used as the knobby/pad controller for Mainstage or Gig Performer with the bonus of a few keys.

This way I don't have to do the weird menu diving to assign knobs, etc from the YC or MODX to my software

JJ4NBt.jpg

New Accesory 2: Laptop or monitor or beer platform :)

(no it's not facing the way it will be yet)

I am also making a bracket that will allow the Mac Mini to sit on the huge space there on the MODX8

WW543i.jpg

Those add ons will only be used if I'm bringing the VST's along

The stand is still totally portable. It's still on wheels. It still folds up with e loosening of two clamps, and it still easily fits in my vehicle.

The nice thing, even when I do bring the computer setup, I am still self contained since I use the MODX as my audio i/o.

I am also creating a bracket from gibraltar parts that I can hang the pedal board on for when I roll into position on stage. Everything will be hooked up via the snake.

dbgIYS.jpg

It's hard to get a good shot/perspective in my small garage of how close I was able to get the YC61 to the MODX8 (and still have full and easy access to MODX8 screen and buttons).

Another benefit, is the YC is now almost flat. My organ playing instantly got better this way.

oOZw5N.jpg

Peace Out

:)

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Last thought:

I already had all the Gibraltar hardware from the original build. I also had that OnSTage Stands tray I had used with my Z-Stand. I just adapted it.

The only money I spent was for the new MiniLab, and I had a 16% coupon at that.... less than $100

David

Nice work! Major kudos for being one of the most thorough and detail-oriented folks I've met (virtually at this point) with regards to your gear and how it's optimized to support your needs. I love the custom racks, the custom snakes, the paint work, and now the stand! Very inspiring!

I've been using the same custom stand now for several years and might need to mix it up next year, presuming more gigs land on the calendar compared to this year! I did actually get some Gibraltar gear to support a second keyboard off to the side of my rolling rig, to enable me to roll right up under it and do an occasional dual tier set up, or roll up to it perpendicular and have an "L" setup. I'll have to see if I took any pictures from earlier this year when I was working on this (pre-COVID).

Thanks for sharing your updates!

Eric

Nice work! Major kudos for being one of the most thorough and detail-oriented folks I've met (virtually at this point) with regards to your gear and how it's optimized to support your needs. I love the custom racks, the custom snakes, the paint work, and now the stand! Very inspiring!

I've been using the same custom stand now for several years and might need to mix it up next year, presuming more gigs land on the calendar compared to this year! I did actually get some Gibraltar gear to support a second keyboard off to the side of my rolling rig, to enable me to roll right up under it and do an occasional dual tier set up, or roll up to it perpendicular and have an "L" setup. I'll have to see if I took any pictures from earlier this year when I was working on this (pre-COVID).

Thanks for sharing your updates!

Eric

Thank you very much Eric! I'd love to see that setup that you can roll yours under or next to. My "detail-orientation" has been gained thru all these years of experiementing and learning from mistakes.... like my first attempt at painting stripes on my Yellow PX-30 when I used the wrong paint and totally ruined it the base coat. Also, as you know, I purposely show my errors so perhaps others can learn.

Just as with this stand, I had all these idea in my head, and when I put it together I realized, "nope, this isn't going to work....plan 2..."

Some of it is my ADHD where I can't NOT have a project doing something.

Getting into the psychology of it: you'd think I was a very neat and tidy person given my attention to detail. NOPE! My place is cluttered (not dirty I do vacuum, dust, etc..) I know exactly where everything is, but there is no real orderly system. Funny story: A thousnad years ago before my divorce, my now ex decided to clean up my side of the garage where I worked on my hot rods and race cars. She organized everything. It took me days to find various things I needed to use. Except the 10mm socket... :) :)

Anyway, enough pontificating.

David

• 2 weeks later...

Had a show this past Saturday night using the standing rig. Worked out great!

Couple pics. First a tech one. I found some great window weather seal that comes in a roll. Self adhesive on one side. I added some to the bars of the Gibraltar SC-GEMC mounting arms.

It cushions the keys, and prevents any lateral sliding. No ounce, etc...

tWAWER.jpg

Setting up for the show. The cross serves two purposes. One, decorative. it break up that huge open space. Two; Eventually the vertical tube will extend farther to the floor. The cable snake I am building will run up it and exit the top to be distributed to the various jacks.

Okay three; the horizontal tube will hold a pair of small upwash LED lights to give the whole rig a soft glow.

on3tWR.jpg

Still just have to loosen two clamps, remove the top cross member, and put it in the back seat of my vehicle. Also really nice to just wheel it out. No heavy lifting.

Also, load-in/setup has become very nice. I can position the stand for easy access to all the jacks, then just pull it around into position.

Weather strip

UEyJDJ.pngZanfao.png

David

I love these posts, David. Big +1 on weather stripping - I discovered that when outfitting a Z Stand. It's perfect!

What color LEDs? My kids put LEDs all around their rooms with various control schemes that change color, dynamics etc... The LEDs could also dispense with the need to paint the stand. Leave it chrome! :rawk:

Joe

I've installed strip lights on the bottom of a top rig to illuminate the bottom rig. Works cool. Cheap. remote control, changeable colors. Only draw back is the extra complication and not damaging the lights during schlep.

VUcNXT6whz3UhBha-x7U0LO4ZkMNOg8B5u3GWa6KOFdgFDaspNNMUWn7wOOw6h1z7JvPrvWKu9O_4GJYkmVLIWqI0DoeNX5y8LsCvr6xfo_2NHDjo1whbp3KwZMkUnhxE1jU0rC8naNVlBz034RuVLMeZBKWzRJpPxyyovbRjFTNg6IRWO-V6jt3EWLTEJ2OoxlVyf54zjRZ-jWqnY_b29pCXNf6mZvQEgdZDKqn8lP3lm49U_BRh6A4GYxU6W6nFMWMt0GQyYVQXO9f99PHUrkHWQYMWsUtwiL_bDZni_Apzn9uUJGIl75dP2iE7apiFgPfpRDeWM-my0g889L5we-F6kaWoL0E4lGBTX6_XNPRBgAuqVV7PQenz5_kgTc5buK7t0vyIt3cnXk76UqhEE11GatvN2he3xr6p8kfKSNYbbmR4wdOyrzBnTdFAbGn10r9K8ZsLr8kJhMhrfwPIQ_J_e-igplga884BiaYAac2k7J_oFVA7OOPMWtbecldwU8jSi_KeN2uKf_d9aQQlxemFpQCoX3iVOW9kR5d9URpLmBlUrkaaxOZXNWJmHpXfkzj5T03uoTYhZPBtR59WQkYp2Aggz83POrb03TOf0qs_Q7FMA_wdfZ8H8Ror-CHeYATVK80m2DLLP5FRuqLmiCzgs_HxVoePEJSddIjIq2YKz2ZMgfq_mVPSzqRfg=w1830-h1031-no?authuser=0

33X75LcTwiFOL7sjdxny0gq1gfxbCgP3oFxRNKsEzl4C2F-AHG5bLFKVbBNFpCdywShpAWRh6fxfWWfvTl4-hMhuNtUe8mvZuqCwwznbZCG_kTpLkLrcIr-Yo7dIQt_rxX6Uxd-BL__BncEh_7d5ggGIED5BzugQduC0cHS4oMVmhbBQb_NzrVBlqFAQsKV8T4DVePX0XrRHBhm_FyQ5Gn-r8RUkAfExSH3sDU3HeQvFmFSXFJyr2Z9Z2dh1G24fT-9tkN8tSJVEdLTwINnCa3CKig5ClAV9xUIrsLUlKckjML0L5ZQD8eUcY0Ppi0mqBiYKxsHVRxPN9Q4z7i-p3VE01zLN1nZQinWUEPRcgSmXDkkXFT7St2bQpUcjlWilLDuqbBaDs54sl-9fTr-_MLNzKXeH9zPY4MiXR49qKin5nlrhhJxoaLdUJBwKvpKUex_UPn9WE4JGkgavLgHDYgCHyEt-tzxK2YRYsmjd3rKzkG6rC1rnXuXhS07Oc4spev3k82sCR4wyitfVmVSbsARe4ZVNJhQxI0t8WLbs4W5wjTi2ONZKMRqYMy0TxtYWajJ8ir0oXffQKPtAqew6abmLC54oRqzyiuZlESq3bTxPLdMiXyqrWYl-Aznw47a6FCaMZvQeUUkvm9BZ5iOoi661QPLqKCwHL0FlO7FD5mFsJiYdZMHO8P8vkprq9A=w1832-h891-no?authuser=0

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff