Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How do you like your reverb?

The Geoff

I bagged an Award-Session Sessionette Bass 100 4x10 at the beginning of the week. It was in the local Cash Converters about 2 months ago at £80.00. I pondered it for 2 weeks, and when I finally decided to have it and went in....it was gone.

I went in again last Friday and lo and behold, it was back. Seemingly it had been off to the repairers to have 'something in the pre-amp fixed'.

They had it at £100.00. They remembered I'd been in to try & buy it, so I offered them the original price - £80.00 assuming it was OK.

They bit - I tried it - there was a slight buzz, but nothing awful, and I took it home with a 2 month guarantee.

Next day I gave it the twice over & found the bottom left speaker was blown, so I whipped it out & took it back - it was replaced within two days - excellent service!!!

Anyway - this makes a real mean guitar amp as well as a decent small gig bass amp!! In fact I'm thinking of using it as my main gigging guitar amp (which is currently a Fender Studio 85 [65watt 1x12]), but I immediately missed the reverb!!!

I've always had an amp with reverb and I found I really missed it.

I've got round this temporarily by putting an Alesis Guitar FX multiFX pedal in the FX loop - it works pretty well and also boosts the overall volume.

Does anyone else find they just *need* that bit of reverb?

Geoff

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I dearly love playing with 'verb and/or echo/delay of all types, but sometimes it's refreshing to go 'Malcolm-Commando' dry, as I like to put it. (I believe that Mr. Young has had a variety of ambient and dry treatments to his recordied riddum-guits over the years, but when I get a crisp, immediate, in-yer-face sort of overdrive with little or no reverb, his classic signature-sound is one of the first to come to my mind.) Sometimes it's nice to just hear the actual room-acoustics, though I'm most often just playing by myself through headphones lately!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I had a pignose 40watt tube amp with no verb

so I would use my boss delay pedal dial in

a little slapbackish type of reverb sound worked

ok.But yes I like reverb

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

I always like to have reverb as well. In the past it may have been a bit of a crutch (it's more difficult to play dry, I believe), but now I just enjoy hearing that depth of sound. I'm looking forward to my new Mesa Lonestar Classic with two type of reverb and individual controls for each channel.

Veering a little to one side but not entirely off-topic, all of yez really owe it to yourselves to play through a Fender Vibro King 3x10 sometime, even if it's just to try one out in a store; wonderful lush reverb, beautiful output-tube tremolo... very much like a built-in Fender tube/spring Reverb unit before the input of the preamp, with "Tone", "Mix", and "Dwell" (length of reverb sustain/decay time) controls for just the reverb. If you like reverb, you'll love a Vibro King!

Tone King amps by Mark Bartel have a similar scheme in their latest incarnations, the Meteor II line, but I haven't gotten my mitts on one... yet. (My overall favorite Fender-y dream amp!)

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I almost never use verb for rhythm. Occasionally I'll use delay in a U2ish way. I do like a little delay for solo's, but again not much for verb. Lately I've been GASsing for a TC G-System, but I'm a little worried that I'll lose control and end up sounding too "LA"...
www.myspace.com/christondre

I like a mild setting most of the time. My main amp doesn't have reverb, so I dial in a bit with my fx unit. A lot of high-end boutique amps don't have it, likely because they emulate designs that precede reverb.
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

I love verb. I recently paid way too much for a digitech rp400 reverberator that lets me have full wet to bone dry controlability with an expression pedal.....Very cool! I like it for recording but it's only somewhat useful to me in my current setup. It seems I forgot I'm playing single channel class A amps without fx loops. Ooops!
Live long and prosper unless it is a good day to die.

Archived