Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Great Kat or "Great Crap" ?

Editor Boy

Hey, Rob...

No ruffle and no foul. I'm open and excited to absorb all data.

All things change, it's true, and all magazines must revitalize their communities or slide into the big sleep.

It will be interesting where it all leads...

Cheers,

Mike

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by flagshipmile:

See, I personally don't get it. I went to her site and listened to her clips. I didn't hear one 'extremely' difficult thing to play. She has no finesse, her tone blows, the mix sounds like she recorded it at Tidy Bowl studios. The mixing of classical instruments and electric guitar is dismal. Sounded like alot of tremolo picking of single notes. That isn't hard.....

I don't understand all these people saying she can outplay anyone.. If that was true, why do the clips on her website blow? Get her in a room with Scott Jones..

Oh THANK GOD someone else listened to those lame clips and heard exactly what ISN'T going on here. She is so full of such a double load of bull:

bull #1) She's all about "only scorching speed licks are real music"....yeah right.

bull 2) She couldn't even play scorching speed licks to save her life because she doesn't have s***t worth of chops. I'm not a huge fan of Yngwie or any other shredder, but she's nowhere in the same league with those players.

Please MM, LISTEN to a player before extolling the virtues of his or her skills next time, or if you're not able to discern what are real chops and what are fake, consult with someone who is able to - like Flagshipmile for instance, because he can hear the obvious, and isn't under the mistaken impression that simple tremolo picking of single notes is an awesome display of technique that will "kick your ass".

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

Well, of COURSE, all the GP editors listen to the artists they are covering. But opinions are subjective, aren't they? I respect all comments, because if a comment comes from you, then it's true FOR YOU, whether I agree with it or not.

The GP mailbag comments on The Great Kat include letters from readers who think she is absolutely hot to agreements with Bejeeber's view that she ain't nuthin'.

This is on reason why I still love this job!

The best thing is that the article has kicked off a massive amount of comment -- both good and bad -- and it's always a gas to get the guitar community talking with passion.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Cheers,

Mike

Please MM, LISTEN to a player before extolling the virtues of his or her skills next time, or if you're not able to discern what are real chops and what are fake, consult with someone who is able to - like Flagshipmile for instance, because he can hear the obvious, and isn't under the mistaken impression that simple tremolo picking of single notes is an awesome display of technique that will "kick your ass".

I think your being a little to harsh on MM,I thought it was a good read and still think she

can kick yours and quite a few butts around here.

She says you can man up get out of the way or

bow take your pick. :evil:

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

I, too, have heard her clips and I think the only difference between her and other "extreme" metal guitarists is that she has breasts. I'm not really a fan of Yngwie or any other players of that caliber, but if I played like that, you'd say the same thing.

Time to do laundry before mom yells at me again...

"Have a good time, all the time." - Viv Savage

I was not offended by the article and found it to be entertaining enough.

However I could really care less. The reality is that she's beating the same dead horse that Ywingie and Alex Gregory are.

It would have made more sense to run an article on her back in the 80s when "neo-classical metal" was still relavent. Might as well run an article on whoever's playing guitar in Paul Revere and the Raiders nowadays.

How about an article on someone doing something cutting edge?

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Originally posted by GeorgeVW:

Originally posted by jimmy3000:

When is the last time your heard a guitar solo that gave you goosebumps or made your jaw drop like the first time you heard the end of Axis:Bold as Love or the first time you sat down to figure out Caprice #5 by Paganini

Listening to Phil DeGruy, Wayne Krantz, Will Bernard, John Scofield, Dave Tronzo, Dave Fiuczynski, Ned Evett (fretless guitar player who's done a lot of opening slots for Satch over the past few years), and dozens of other current guitar players will do that for me.

Hey EditorBoy! How about GP doing some profiles of some of the lesser known of these guys? I don't think I've seen Tronzo in GP since his SoundPage in the late '80s.

I agree. Ned is a great guy and a great player. I am still working on a glass fretboard guitar due to him. Her? Sounds and looks like Courtney Love learned to shred.

I think your being a little to harsh on MM,I thought it was a good read and still think she

can kick yours and quite a few butts around here.

She says you can man up get out of the way or

bow take your pick

I don't understand that statement though. Guitar and music aren't a sport. I have my opinions and everyone else has theirs too.

If you are gauging it on technique and speed I think I could hold my own with her--she doesn't 'kick my butt'. I am not the kind of player that showcases my technique because it seems like it has already been done better than I could do it by guys like Holdsworth or Brett Garsed, Wayne Krantz. I am picky as hell about fast players. They should have something to say on the guitar before they start to jerk off on it.

Every note should count. I am not undermining her brilliant arrangements, or the composers that wrote them. I mean it definatly takes alot of skill to do that. I am sure she is an accomplished violinist with monster chops. I am just commenting on her guitar playing.

For god sakes, does someone need to wire her mouth shut so we can see what she looks like?

For god sakes, does someone need to wire her mouth shut so we can see what she looks like?

Yeah, I found a pic of her with her mouth closed:

http://www.ifdw-verlag.de/images/w-girl.jpg

It occurred to me that her demeanor is a lot like Bralalala's. Maybe they're ....uh..."sisters"?

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

It's funny this is the same thing I heard from

my parents about KISS,Alice Cooper growing up.

It's showbiz folks.Music is important to me

but I try not to take it to serious though,and

I like to give props to everyone from the Great Kat to the guy down the street.Remember its just an act,gimmic what ever.Don't hate the Great Kat

shes just a pussy Kat and I mean that from the bottom of my one inch pecker...hahahhahha :freak:

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

See, I personally don't get it. I went to her site and listened to her clips. I didn't hear one 'extremely' difficult thing to play. She has no finesse, her tone blows, the mix sounds like she recorded it at Tidy Bowl studios. The mixing of classical instruments and electric guitar is dismal. Sounded like alot of tremolo picking of single notes. That isn't hard.

Maybe I haven't heard enough, but I think I have. When it comes to shredding, unquestionably there are tons better than her. Names like Holdsworth, Garsed, Johnson, Vai come to mind. I am not sexist, I know women actually have more dexterity then men in their hands. My Mom was a concert pianist.

Holdsworth is like 100 years ahead of most shredders. Anyone disagree? Speed is only part of the impressiveness of shredding. When I hear Allan I hear a man that could be from space.

I respect that she is able to arrange those classical compositions so well. She plays with 0 feeling from the stuf I have heard.

I am sure her interview is designed to get under your skin on purpose so you remember her. I mean she sounded so arrogant. If you asked her about EVH she would probably say he was a bumbling idiot with a little penis..

I don't understand all these people saying she can outplay anyone.. If that was true, why do the clips on her website blow? Get her in a room with Scott Jones..

Flagship ..you are so right on AGAIN man! whats intersting is the she would put THOSE clips on the site..you know what that means!! SHE thinks those are her best chops!! ya..that say alot to me! lets get he out of that metal mode and see what she can do in other styles..thats the test of a real guitarplayer/musician (should be synonomis)

Originally posted by Justus A. Picker:

Kat is certainly a talented technician. An article that spent more time on her technique and less on her ranting would have been a much better use of paper and ink. Not to mention my time.

"Certainly a talented technician"?

Oh, I get it, you're talking about her abilities on violin, not guitar.

Phew, for a minute you had me going and I thought that the ludicrous avalanche of hype and her easy, cheesy guitar tremolo picking 101 actually fooled you into thinking she was a talented guitar technician.

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

Yeah, agreed. She isn't a talented technician. Keep in mind there are a million shredders now that can blaze scales and arpeggios like Yngwie. She isn't even close to that on guitar. I will give credit where credit is due. She sounds like a really technical violinist, but on guitar the stuff she is doing is just run of the mill easy stuff.

Perhaps if she's inspiring (possibly) more young ladies to grab a guitar by the balls and learn to squeeze the snot out of it she's doing a service?

Just playing devil's advocate here, mind you...but there is definitely a shortage of "guitar type heroines" out there.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

yeah i read the article and i could care less if she can play good

shes annoying as hell

i cant staned her at all

especially cuz its all bullshit

she puts on this huge act

so shes dumb

Once in awhile you get shown th elight in th estrangest of places if you look at it right

Originally posted by Ted Hoffman:

Perhaps if she's inspiring (possibly) more young ladies to grab a guitar by the balls and learn to squeeze the snot out of it she's doing a service?

Just playing devil's advocate here, mind you...but there is definitely a shortage of "guitar type heroines" out there.

I think if there is one guitar girl in electric playing there are too many :thu:

Originally posted by ellwood:

Originally posted by Ted Hoffman:

I think if there is one guitar girl in electric playing there are too many :thu:
I'm sure your just kiddin.....right?I'm still

looking for my soul mate and she will play guitar

and sing and have flowers in her hair and love in her eyes..

You're lucky I'm not a feminist. Else, I would've already kicked your guitar-chauvenistic ass. But luckily for both of us, I'm a semi-pacifist. So to that remark, kind sir, I say, :o "Oh, but I disagree."
"Have a good time, all the time." - Viv Savage

Originally posted by Buttons:

You're lucky I'm not a feminist. Else, I would've already kicked your guitar-chauvenistic ass. But luckily for both of us, I'm a semi-pacifist. So to that remark, kind sir, I say, :o "Oh, but I disagree."
Well I can tell ya this: from experience (and tons of it) everytime a girl gets into a band there is trouble.. they don't want to help carry gear, argue all the time about everything and cause tension inside the group! They want to get special undue attention and are always unreasonable about just about everything you can imagine. They complain about the stage lighting, their vocal mic mix more than anyother member of the band and want to show up at the show on their own and not show up at the rehearsal place to load equipment BUT they want the same or MORE money? They bring their personal problems into the band and at gigs they worry about what their at the monent boyfriend is doing and NOT about set lists or band stratigies or anyting that is important! They are in general a big pain in the butt!! They should be put in the john with a wireless mic and sing background vocals where they can mess up things on stage!!! Sometimes FACTS HURT!! This sort of thing happens ALL the time with them sooner or later..they are not in general good band members! NOW if the ladies on the forum are good band members and do not do these things GREAT...these are MY experiences with them... AND they NEVER play guitar in MY group!... NOT EVER REQUIRED

Originally posted by Gabriel E.:

You obviously haven't met Lee yet.

Oh I guess there are a FEW exceptions but no I have not. And unless you talk to others in her band you can never know. All the exceptions in the world can not replace years of experience...I am just saying these are my experiences. It is impossiable to debate this kind of thing the history and facts are undisputable.

Originally posted by ellwood:

Originally posted by Gabriel E.:

You obviously haven't met Lee yet.

Oh I guess there are a FEW exceptions but no I have not. And unless you talk to others in her band you can never know. All the exceptions in the world can not replace years of experience...I am just saying these are my experiences. It is impossiable to debate this kind of thing the history and facts are undisputable.
Your line of reasoning is, IN MY OPINION, ignorant and backwards. You can hardly draw a conclusion like that from the limited sample that your "YEARS OF EXPERIENCE" provide.

You are right about one thing, though. It is impossible to debate this kind of thing. Chauvinism is a lot like religion that way.

"For instance" is not proof.

Archived