Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Protestors who block traffic and entry to buildings - How do you feel about it?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Precisely for me...same thing. It's one thing to protest, another completely to bar someone (who's not responsible or has no bearing upon the thing that's being protested) from doing their job.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

One thing they don't realize. If they physically detain you (which they are) you have every RIGHT to physically remove them withy whatever force it takes. If they allow you to proceed when asked, no problem. If they need to be muscled out of the way, you are within your rights. They have the right to speech, but not at the expense of your mobility.

I find it interseting that most of your posts state that you live in places that don't see much in the way of protests. So how often do any of really have do deal with a protest folks? I work in downtown DC where it's a regular thing. It's pretty rare when it causes any problem. When it does it's pretty short lived.

Got this one in today's email: How to deal with peace activists: With all of this talk of war, many of us will encounter "Peace Activists" who will try and convince us that we must refrain from retaliating against the ones who terrorized us all on September 11, 2001. These activists may be alone or in a gathering... most of us don't know how to react to them. When you come upon one of these people, or one of their rallies, here are the proper rules of etiquette: 1. Listen politely while this person explains their views. Strike up a conversation if necessary and look very interested in their ideas. They will tell you how revenge is immoral, and that by attacking the people who did this to us; we will only bring on more violence. They will probably use many arguments, ranging from political to religious to Humanitarian. 2. In the middle of their remarks, without any warning, punch them in the face. 3. When the person gets up off of the ground, they will be very angry and they may try to hit you, so be careful. 4. Very quickly and calmly remind the person that violence only brings about more violence and remind them of their stand on this matter. Tell them if they are really committed to a nonviolent approach to undeserved attacks, they will turn the other cheek and negotiate a solution. Tell them they must lead by example if they really believe what they are saying. 5. Most of them will think for a moment and then agree that you are correct. 6. As soon as they do that, hit them again. Only this time hit them much harder. 7. Repeat steps 2-6 until the desired results are obtained and the idiot realizes how stupid of an argument he/she is making. There is no difference in an individual attacking an unsuspecting victim or a group of terrorists attacking a nation of people. It is unacceptable and must be dealt with. Perhaps at a high cost. We owe our Military a huge debt for what they are about to do for us and our children. We must support them and our leaders at times like these. We have no choice. We either strike back, VERY HARD, or we will keep getting hit in the nose. Lesson over.

Simply arrest them for whatever statute they violated, what's the question? They know the difference between free speech and this kind of obstruction. BTW, Steve, I know that was in humor, but what if hypothetically someone would treat you with that kind of disrespect just for expressing an opinion? And I assume you replied to this email by letting the sender know that in this war we are not exactly attacking the people who attacked us on 9/11...

*** DATELINE NY,NY MARCH 27, 2003*** MASSIVE "LIVE-IN" COUNTER PROTEST TO ANTI-WAR ACTIVISTS. Millions of people in the greater NY area staged a "live-in" counter protest to the "die-in" protests carried out by mere hundreds of anti-war activists. Completely unorganized, the "live in" protestors simply went about their daily lives, travelling to work, shopping and other daily activities. One "live-in" protester commented, "Hey, I'm just tryin' to get to my job, 'ya know?" Another commented, "What the F*** are these people doin', blockin' my way? Get 'em out 'a here!" None of the "live in" protesters were arrested by the police. guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

[quote]Originally posted by Tedster: [b]At the risk of inviting a host of flaming attacks, Paul, I love that bit you just posted. HAHAHAHA.[/b][/quote]I think I've read something similar before. I wouldn't advocate 'hitting' anyone, but I think the analogy is a pretty accurate one. And NOT to drift off topic, but just to give equal time to Doug's opinion; I think we ARE attacking the regime who attacked us. But a peaceful non-threatening protest is cool by me. It's good to see people caring about something besides themselves for a change. Light some candles. Sing some songs. Just treat others the way you'd like to be treated, and don't be too surprised if you get treated the same way as you treat others -[i]which could be a good thing or a bad thing...[/i] That's all I have to say.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

As I recall, as the LA riots were starting in '92, individuals were dragged out of their cars and severely beaten. Having seen that footage, I might be inclined to view people gathering around my car as rioters wishing to do me harm. Then when I got home I'd spend the next hour scraping activist jerky off my exhaust manifold!

[quote]Originally posted by Cereal Trix Rabbit: [b]As I recall, as the LA riots were starting in '92, individuals were dragged out of their cars and severely beaten. Having seen that footage, I might be inclined to view people gathering around my car as rioters wishing to do me harm. Then when I got home I'd spend the next hour scraping activist jerky off my exhaust manifold![/b][/quote]So, would that be one of your desert island foods, then? :D
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

[quote]Originally posted by PBBPaul: [b]Got this one in today's email: How to deal with peace activists: With all of this talk of war, many of us will encounter "Peace Activists" who will try and convince us that we must refrain from retaliating against the ones who terrorized us all on September 11, 2001. These activists may be alone or in a gathering... most of us don't know how to react to them. When you come upon one of these people, or one of their rallies, here are the proper rules of etiquette: 1. Listen politely while this person explains their views. Strike up a conversation if necessary and look very interested in their ideas. They will tell you how revenge is immoral, and that by attacking the people who did this to us; we will only bring on more violence. They will probably use many arguments, ranging from political to religious to Humanitarian. 2. In the middle of their remarks, without any warning, punch them in the face. 3. When the person gets up off of the ground, they will be very angry and they may try to hit you, so be careful. 4. Very quickly and calmly remind the person that violence only brings about more violence and remind them of their stand on this matter. Tell them if they are really committed to a nonviolent approach to undeserved attacks, they will turn the other cheek and negotiate a solution. Tell them they must lead by example if they really believe what they are saying. 5. Most of them will think for a moment and then agree that you are correct. 6. As soon as they do that, hit them again. Only this time hit them much harder. 7. Repeat steps 2-6 until the desired results are obtained and the idiot realizes how stupid of an argument he/she is making. There is no difference in an individual attacking an unsuspecting victim or a group of terrorists attacking a nation of people. It is unacceptable and must be dealt with. Perhaps at a high cost. We owe our Military a huge debt for what they are about to do for us and our children. We must support them and our leaders at times like these. We have no choice. We either strike back, VERY HARD, or we will keep getting hit in the nose. Lesson over.[/b][/quote]I sure hope you aren't a Christian. If so, you better get to sunday school more. And your analogy sucks anyway. A true pacifist will let you repeat steps 2-6 until he's dead. Will you go ahead and kill him in an attempt to provoke a violent reaction? I would hope not. So at some point you will choose to stop beating the protester and the violence will subside. Now if the protester accepts your argument and responds after the second punch in the face, the violence will increase. You believe in fighting back and convinced the protester to fight back...where does it end? So if you convince the protester to fight back, this will result in more violence than if the protester didn't fight back. So your analogy proves the protester right. Responding to violence with violence will result in more violence.

[quote]Originally posted by the stranger: [b] And your analogy sucks anyway. A true pacifist will let you repeat steps 2-6 until he's dead.[/b][/quote]Correct, which is why the analogy doesn't suck -it's actually quite good. I certainly hope NOBODY actually hits anyone! But the POINT of the analogy is to show how terrorism works. They hit you and hit you again and again. The peace activist isn't defending him/herself and they continue getting hit until they are -as you said- dead or incapacitated. THIS is how the terrorists want to treat us. The difference between the anti-war person and the pro-war person's stance is that one wants to take NO action and the other wants to TAKE action. Don't take that email LITERALLY like that's what you should do. Read it and try to understand what the author is saying in the analogy.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

It's pointless, won't change anything and just gives the Iraqis something else to use against us. Other than that it's a wonderful idea. ;)

"We are the Federales... You know, the Mounted Police..."

---"If you're the police, where are your badges?"

"Bodges?..."

Which is doing more to help the children of Iraq - the protestor, or the US soldier? http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_032803/content/across_the_fruited_plain.guest.html

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

This is a true story posted yesterday on another BBS. It's how one elderly tough lady deals with it... "To nobodys surprise, there were protestors today in DC. They attempted to disrupt the metro system and block the Key Bridge, a leading artery into DC from Northern Virginia. I got hosed twice because I come in from Northern Virginia on the metro and it was raining hard, which makes traffic even worse. My commute was long and arduous and only caused further resentment for protestors (but that isn't the point of this thread.) Anyway, I'll get to the point. "I got off my train in Rosslyn because I had to use the bathroom and the train was moving quite slowly. When I was getting back on the train, there were protestors on the train platform handing out pamphlets on the evils of America. I politely declined to take one. "An elderly woman was behind me getting off the escalator and when a young (20ish) female protestor offered her a pamphlet. She politely declined. The young protestor put her hand on the old woman's shoulder as a guesture of friendship and, in a very soft voice said: "Ma'am, don't you care about the children of Iraq?" "The old woman looked up at her and said, "Honey, my first husband died in France during World War II so that you could have the right to stand here and bad mouth your country. And if you touch me again, I'll stick this umbrella up your ass and open it." "I'm glad to report that loud applause broke out among the onlookers and the young protestor was at a total loss for words." [i](For the sake of the original poster, I am not including attribution, but I am putting it in quotes.)[/i]
Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

[quote]THIS is how the terrorists want to treat us. The difference between the anti-war person and the pro-war person's stance is that one wants to take NO action and the other wants to TAKE action. [/quote]That's ubsurd. How did you come to the conclusion that being against war is being against action? And another thing.... If the reasons given thus far are justification to oust Saddam, than these reasons are also justification to oust the U.S. government. Think about it. NSA,FBI,ETC Disclaimer: Statements made by myself on this board in the context of political debate are in no way to be construed as intentions or indications of any future action by myself or my dog. I just like to argue. :freak:

[quote]Originally posted by meriphew: [b]How do you feel about the protesters who stand in the roads, march onto freeways, and chain themselves together in front of entry ways to buildings? I for one get really pissed off when protesters feel that it is their right to impede upon my rights.[/b][/quote]They are lazy morons!

Jesus Is Coming, Make Music, Get Ready!

An excerpt from the mud-slinging war thread: "Yesterday, I was watching Public Access. First, I saw a hippie, with a Tye-Die shirt, mustache, and long, grey hair talk about useless information redarding Congress and the President. Soon after, the screen faded into a blank moment, but came back on shwoing the downtown protest that had happened a few days before. At first all I could see was signs saying things like "Bush is a Murderer!" "Bring my Sister home!" (The worst part is yet to come, but wait) Now, I got pissed at these signs. I started debating with the TV right then and there. I don't know exactly why I did it, but the signs got me so mad, and pissed me off.(Yes, there is a worse part) As the "protest" spewed out into a useless ranting on about hating Bush, and crap, and my argument with the hippie on TV grew heated, the imaged on the tube changed. I coule not believe my eyes They were cussing, saying things like "F--- Bush" But, as they were, they had two American flags...and burned them on the ground. They put to flames, the very flag, of the very country they were in. I wanted to go downtown(*remember, this happened a few days earlier) and do some pretty mean things to those "protestors." And, they were calling for "peace" BTW, to those who don't know: a.the nations flag should NEVER touch the ground. b.those darn "protesting" "people" "for" "peace"! (this is the censored verion) Sorry, this doesn't really have to do anything with the current war, but I thought I should tell you." -JDL

[quote]Originally posted by Super 8: [b] [quote]Originally posted by the stranger: [b] And your analogy sucks anyway. A true pacifist will let you repeat steps 2-6 until he's dead.[/b][/quote]Correct, which is why the analogy doesn't suck -it's actually quite good. I certainly hope NOBODY actually hits anyone! But the POINT of the analogy is to show how terrorism works. They hit you and hit you again and again. The peace activist isn't defending him/herself and they continue getting hit until they are -as you said- dead or incapacitated. [/b][/quote]BUT.... Chances are the police will intervene at some point and break the whole thing up. Now if the peace protester goes home and after much thought decides to get revenge on the guy (irony?), than that would be vigilantiism. So anyway....the peace guy gives up peace and goes and kills the war guy because the war guy convinced him to. And in the process of the peace guy killing the war guy, the cops show up and kill the peace guy. This prompts more protests which result in more peace guys killing more war guys and the cops are just killing everybody. The analogy still sucks. The war guy wasn't hitting the peace guy for no reason. He had a reason. Once the peace guy saw the war guys point, the war guy wouldn't have to hit the peace guy anymore. The terrorists have a list of demands that aren't even unreasonable. We have ignored the warnings for how many years? The came right out and told us that our presence there would result in this. Maybe if we would start to consider both sides of the story and use diplomacy instead of force, we could stop going in circles. Here's an analogy for you... One day I get sick of living in my house, so I decide to take up residence in your backyard. At first you are annoyed, but you decide to wait it out and hope I see the error of my ways. Six months later I have also started to conspire with your neighbors against you. One year later I have also ousted the family across the street so I could move in a family that would also conspire with me against you. Five years later I have myself AND a gang of thugs living with me in your backyard. Nobody will hear your demands because I have organized the entire city against you. One day you can't take it anymore and you start to conspire against me. You manage to build a small but loyal following to get me out of your backyard and any of the entities that have conspired with me out of the city. Since you can't simply take your backyard and the city back by force, you have to use whatever means you have to achieve this goal. So you kill people associated with me to try and hurt me. You know this isn't right but you feel you don't have any choice. Am I justified in killing you?

Yes. You're right. We should get out of Iraq, and allow Saddam to continue torturing and mistreating his own citizens. It's none of our business. We should also allow him to continue funding suicide bombers. While we're at it, let's put Osama bin laden in control of Afgahanistan. What were we thinking. And then we'll spend the next 20 years trying to negotiate witht hem through the UN, while many more inncocent people get tortured to death. BTW, you know why Iraq doesn't have olympic athletes? Because saddam's son is in charge of the olympic's in Iraq. And whenever an Iraqi athlete loses, they get tortured. One runner who lost had both feet broken. But what do we care. It's none of our business.

IMDB Credit list

President George Washington: "The government of the United States is in no sense founded on the Christian Religion."

President Abraham Lincoln: "The Bible is not my book, nor Christianity my religion."

Archived