Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

DO YOU HAVE/HAD ANY FAMOUS AUTOGRAPHS / GUITAR PICS?

BiC

At one time, I had an autographed photo of Rod Stewart. I received it for being a stage-hand at a local concert. This was NOT a Rod Stewart concert. My neighbor who owned a music store organized the event, and had them on hand to give out to those who helped.

I used to have some Anthrax pics from 1989 or so- they had Bart Simpson on them.

I had some others, but don't recall who they were.

Peace :)

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have Vivian Campbell, the original guitar player in Dio. He did an appearance at a music store across the street from Berklee back in about 1985. Just as I got to the head of the line, he found out the school was across the street, and asked if I went there. I said yes. He said he wanted lessons! I said, umm, not from me you don't. Keep in mind he was very young (like me) in 1985, and in a very big deal with Ronnie Dio. Vivian was very humble and honest about looking to improve.

I thought he was cool, and a good player. Whatever happened to him after Whitesnake? Wasn't he with Def Leppard for a bit? Time to switch to Google.

I have a Robert Plant autographed promo flat for his Now and Zen album. He just happened to be shopping at the mall when he was in Nashville for a tour stop and he signed a bunch of autographs for folks at a record store while he was there.

I've also got an autographed copy of the first Romantics' album (the one with "What I Like About You" where they're wearing red leather suits & skinny ties on the cover.

EDIT: I also used to have a Mick Jones (Foreigner) pick. I lost it along the way. It was a thin (wimpy, wimpy, wimpy! :D )

I also had (or possibly have?) a Jeff Cook (Alabama) pick. I found both of these on stage when I worked the local stage crew in college.

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Originally posted by billster:

I have Vivian Campbell, the original guitar player in Dio. He did an appearance at a music store across the street from Berklee back in about 1985. Just as I got to the head of the line, he found out the school was across the street, and asked if I went there. I said yes. He said he wanted lessons! I said, umm, not from me you don't. Keep in mind he was very young (like me) in 1985, and in a very big deal with Ronnie Dio. Vivian was very humble and honest about looking to improve.

I thought he was cool, and a good player. Whatever happened to him after Whitesnake? Wasn't he with Def Leppard for a bit? Time to switch to Google.

I believe he's still with DL.

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

Many years ago I met the great Albert King at a club in Memphis, through a good friend of mine. Got his autograph on a bar napkin. Well needless to say that's long gone. The cool thing is that I met him at another club 6 months later and he remembered me! He was truly a gentleman and a great blues talent. I've also met B.B. King and Jerry Lee Lewis and saw Elvis on a horse in his driveway at Graceland. No autographs unfortunately. Oh well.
...touched down in the land of the Delta Blues.....in the middle of the pouring rain....

Hiram Bullock (NY session ace & former Letterman show band) had dinner with me once.

He was playing an area club that had music upstairs and restaurant downstairs. We had a package with dinner reservations and preferred seating near the stage afterwards. We were having dinner, and Hiram and his band came in to eat before the show. They were seated right next to us. One of our group had a huge cast on her leg from a ski accident, and Hiram asked about the cast, said he had just gotten out of one for some injury. I think he signed her cast. He started the conversation - that was cool.

I have one of Ronnie Montrose's pics (not even a custom job) that I snagged off the stage after his opening set for the Outlaws at the Altoona High School gym. There were no barricades, we had our elbows on the stage while he was playin'.

We left after the first Outlaws tune. :bor:

Those were the days. In some ways it pays to be old.

band link: bluepearlband.com

music, lessons, gig schedules at dennyf.com

STURGEON'S LAW --98% of everything is bullshit.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Jackhammer of Love and Mercy.

Get yours.

If you left after the first Outlaws tune you missed a good show. At least they were good when I saw them with Bad Company several years ago. Okay, maybe not the best material around but Hughie Thompson ( now with Skynyrd) was a very talented and fiery guitarist. Not a bad show.
...touched down in the land of the Delta Blues.....in the middle of the pouring rain....

I used to have a poster and a 45 autographed by Steve Harris of Iron Maiden backstage in Atlanta (seventh son tour). Sold them on Ebay recently...the record was bought by a guy in Denmark :eek:

Also have a CD of Justice For All auto'd by Jaymz, KRK, & Jasun.

One of these days I'm gonna change my evil ways...

one of these days...

http://www.emotipad.com/emoticons/Band.gifhttp://www.weidenbach.net/images/storage/headbang.gif

Being a former Artist Relations Director at a guitar company I got to meet a ton of players. Mostly I just would grab a few picks, rarelt asked for autographs.

Prior to that gig I ran sound for many blues acts in Chicago. Worked for Willie Dixon several times and got his autograph on a bar napkin from Biddy Mulligans. Then worked for BB at the Conrad Hilton and got him to sign an autograph to my Les Paul from Lucille, he thought I was from another planet when I asked that. Weird white boy...

overheard street personality on Venice Beach "Man, that Bullshit is Bulllshhittt...."

I've been working in the industry in one capacity or another since I was a kid. As a result, I've accumulated piles of the junk, even though I never set out to do so.

I generally give the guitar picks to Fred (Zak Wylde's guitar tech)and he gives some to me, and I leave them in a disk on the console in the studio so that anyone can use them. I've got one room filed with framed 60s posters of the Filmore type, a bunch of 70s posters around the house, a bunch more that are not framed, and boxes of crew tshirts and backstage passes.

A couple of years ago I cleaned out mom's attic and sold off a bunch of posters on ebay. I let my nieces rumage through the tshirts last year and take away a couple of armloads each.

People say that I should sell the stuff, but everything in life is not about money.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

"Gotta love the lineupfor that show "

That actually is oneof the things that irritates me today. I could turn on the radio and hear Santana, with Judy Collins, Bowie, The Turtles, Hendrix, Miles Davis, and Cream all on the same radio station in the same hour. You might find a concert with Otis Redding, the Blues Project, and the Jefferson Airplane, with Paul Krasner opening.

Now, radio and concerts are more and more segmented, and we don't listen to music anymore, we listen to "goth", "rap", etc etc....

Now I know why the radio is that way (because the owners have broken the stations up into convenient advertising/marketing focus groups so that they can target audiences for advertisers, in case you didn't know.) and I know why concerts have become this way, but why do WE put up with it?

I like to listen to good MUSIC. Period. I hate the isolationist system that we have allowed to be built around us.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

I worked for Twisted Sister until right before "Stay Hungry" and "We're Not Gonna Take It" came out (good timing, huh??). As a result, I had quite a few guitar picks. If I could find them I bet I can sell them on eBay and buy one or two "standard" picks. http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_14_1.gif

Mike Keneally signed a copy of the "Zappa's Universe" video for me. This was pretty surprising given his public comdemnation of Polygram's handling of the project.

All in all, he's a really cool guy!

Mike

Petting Hendrix

Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked in the head by an iron boot? Of course you don't--no one does--that never happens.

I've had the good fortune to work with or on local crew for a bunch of famous people, but I rarely ask for autographs. I'd rather give them their space. There's plenty of fans who'll bother them for their autograph. ;)

That said, I have a few notable exceptions.

After a gig in which my truck was trapped an extra hour because other entertainers clogged the ramp :mad: , I had to drive through the Grand Ole Opry artist entrance to get back to our warehouse. It was 12:30am, normally long after the Opry let out and the entertainers had gone home. As we approached the gate, it was obvious someone was still there, as a line of people trailed down the sidewalk outside the guard shack. We pulled in and saw Garth Brooks signing autographs and taking pictures in front of his pickup. This was the height of his career. He had performed on the Opry, signed autographs all night backstage, and now he was the only one left and down to his last 15 or so fans. I'm not a huge fan, but I like his music. And given his desire to take care of every fan, I asked my hands if they minded a quick stop. They were fine with it.

I grabbed my mini-LP (the one Domino is playing in my avatar) which was in the truck to test DI's, and stood in line. Garth signed the guitar, "Neil, God bless you buddy. Garth Brooks". The lady who was just before me insisted on taking a photo of Garth and me. I gave her my address and she sent me a copy. Very cool end to a frustrating night. ;)

Other autographs:

• The entire D'Addario Superband signed my classical guitar at a clinic when I worked at MARS. John Abercrombie on guitar, John Pattatucci on bass, Bob Mintzer (The Yellowjackets) on sax and Peter Erskine on drums. Peter also drew a little character. ;)
  • My first guitar, which was already a mess when I bought it, has autographs from Martina McBride, Hobie Hubbard of Sawyer Brown, and many others.
  • Lila McCann signed the hat I received when I was her monitor mixer, but it's been wearing off.
  • In 1986 or '87 I went to a Joan Jett concert at Great Lakes Naval base. Great show. The only thing I had for Joan to sign was a dollar bill. Still haven't spent that dollar. ;)

I used to give pics from concerts to other crew members who were die-hard collectors. In my time, though, I've collected a few from various members of Tim McGraw's band, Sheryl Crow, Cinderella and other bands. (Actually, the instrument tech for Cinderella when they played after a clinic at MARS had his own, personalized pics. They were Gibson heart shaped pics with the name, "Mr. Vegas" on one side and the Cinderella logo on the other. Sheryl Crow's pick was also a Gibson heart shape.)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by cosmo115:

Originally posted by daklander:

I have a autographed What-The? CD.

Thanks Lee.

That's not fair. How did you get that??
Hah! When the CD was released I ordered it and requested my copy autographed. :D

I play that puppy so much I'm gonna have to burn a copy for my personal use and to ensure the original doesn't get hammered. :eek:

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Thanks Lee.

Hah! When the CD was released I ordered it and requested my copy autographed. :D

I play that puppy so much I'm gonna have to burn a copy for my personal use and to ensure the original doesn't get hammered. :eek:

Well put a rose on your nose. Lucky you! After they win the Little Steven contest, that puppy will be worth some real dough! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_15_5v.gif

Thanks Lee.

I'll bet Lee still has some available via her website. Take a look & if you send her an email I'll bet she can arrange for one to be autographed and sent to you. I think it's only about $13.00 including shipping in the USA.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Speaking of working with artists- those of you familiar with Christian music, I've worked with the following artists as stage hand/security:

- Third Day

- Big Tent Revival

- Clay Cross

- Jaci Valesquez

- Newsboys

Peace :thu:

Archived