Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

If you had a time machine....

kitaristi0

... and you could go to see any three bands (or the same band 3 times(or one band twice.. you get the point)) from any year, what would they be. Mine:

Beatles circa 1964

Jimi Hendrix circa 1968

Led Zeppelin circa 1973

A duck-pond, a museum, and a red hunting hat.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beatles - 1962 (at the Cavern, of course)

Elvis - 1956 (right before he got on network TV)

Springsteen - 1978

If I could make it five, I would add the Who in 1965 and U2 in 1983 (at Red Rocks! :thu: )

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Charlie Parker and Dizzy Gillespie's group, when Parker wasn't strung out and seriously burnin'.

A hot night at Minton Playhouse with Parker, Mingus, Monk, Kenny Clarke, Coleman Hawkins, Lester Young, Charlie Christian all jamin' --if they were all together at one time. Or any time any of them were present in any capacity.

John Coltrane with Monk in '58. Trane with Miles in '62. With his own group in '64.

Louis Armstrong with the Hot Five.

Mingus in 1959.

All the best,

Henry Robinett

man there are so many, zz top would be in the running as bluestrat mentioned, though not everyones fave i would loved to have seen the spectacle of kiss when i was a teen. i like a lot of the choices above and i am mainly thinking ." how can i use this time machine to score a 59 les paul?"

I like pauldils idea of checking out Mozart.

Then, I'd check out Hendrix. Jimi jammed with Jeff Beck for a few nights at some pub. Beck said it was the best he ever played. I'm there!

After that I'm off to the Fillmore East to see the Allman Brothers. The show they played til 6AM or something like that.

Many, many, many, many more.

Originally posted by Guitarzan:

man there are so many, zz top would be in the running as bluestrat mentioned, though not everyones fave i would loved to have seen the spectacle of kiss when i was a teen. i like a lot of the choices above and i am mainly thinking ." how can i use this time machine to score a 59 les paul?"

My first concert was kiss & zztop 1975 IMA FLINT

MI :cool:

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Originally posted by DARKLAVA:

My first concert was kiss & zztop 1975 IMA FLINT

MI :cool:

wow, lucky you. do you have Mescalero?

if so do ya like it?

I need only one destination to see all three bands.

"Sherman, set the wayback machine for 1973. The place, the Farm Show Arena in Harrisburg, Pa. We're going to revisit one of my very first concert attendances, with Mott the Hoople headlining."

This was the tour supporting "Mott," critically acclaimed as their best album. There were two bands I'd never heard of opening for them, but I had convoluted the tourbill in my 16-year-old mind and thought it was a single band by the name of "Aeroqueen Smith." :freak:

Naturally, the opening acts were Aerosmith followed by Queen.

Man, I'd like to see that whole concert again! Two of rocks greatest powerhouses while they were still young & hungry, and I'd also like to go back to see if Mick Ralphs was still with Mott at this concert. (This was just about the time he was leaving Mott to start Bad Co. with Paul Rogers.)

Ah, memories . . . foggy, foggy memories. :cool:

band link: bluepearlband.com

music, lessons, gig schedules at dennyf.com

STURGEON'S LAW --98% of everything is bullshit.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Jackhammer of Love and Mercy.

Get yours.

Yikes; too many destinations to get them all...

Marillion 1985/6 (w/Fish on vocals) was supposed to see them on that tour w/Rush; but somehow we only got Rush. Good show, but I had already seen Rush that year.. I wanted Marillion!

Jeff Beck & Stevie Ray Vaughn- 1989? I was supposed to go, but my girlfriend wanted me to camping with her... guess I made a BAD choice.

Led Zeppelin- any point. Never had the chance to see them. Saw Jimmy in The Firm & Robert solo; but no where near the same.

Runner up- White Heart 1989/90 The lineup with Brian Wooten on lead guitar and Anthony Salee on bass. Why do all the good bands skip MD?

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

This was a difiicult one..

I'd probably go and check out Zappa in the early 70's, with Tom Waits as a warm up.. :D Especially if that counts as one gig! :freak::thu:

- Bob Freebird

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Far too many to list, but they would include the Beatles (at some point), SRV (probably when he was clean/sobered up), and The Who with Keith Moon (definitely before he was too messed up).

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

I've seen ZZ Top in Charlotte on their Recycler tour, which probably pales in conparison to the Afterburner tour. Would like to have seen that one, and Eliminator and the earlier stuff. It was still an awesome show, and probably the most visual rock show I've ever seen. Moving sidewalks, explosions (at the end), junked cars all over the stage... It was one hell of a concert! :thu:

Oh, and as much as I like Billy G, I'd much rather be looking at Pink. :D

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

You guys go to concerts. I'll spend my time buying stock in Cisco and Oracle.

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

--------------------

Reporter: "Ah, do you think you could destroy the world?" The Tick: "Ehgad I hope not. That's where I keep all my stuff!"

Beatles- Ed Sullivan Show

Woodstock- the original

Little Feat with Lowell George

Zappa Halloween Concert (Baby Snakes era)

Elvis' "return to glory" concert, early 60's

Van Halen at the Whiskey

Miles in Harlem circa "Kinda Blue"

Mozart in Prague debut

The recording sessions of Sgt. Pepper

The Who at the Fillmore West circa Tommy

and all mentioned in above post's.

sorry, you said three...it's just to good to pass up if you have a time machine.

overheard street personality on Venice Beach "Man, that Bullshit is Bulllshhittt...."

So many choices, so few I can have :rolleyes::D

BUT, there's really only one choice for me. Turn north instead of continuing west to the motorcycle trials run and go to Woodstock.

Dave the Dumb (I made the wrong choice once, not again).

If I had one more choice (after all Woodstock was how many?), it would be to see Simon & Garfunkel in Johnson, VT in 1967 instead of doing that dumb ass term paper that I got an F on anyway.

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

Oooops posting error...

What I really meant was:

Yardbirds with Clapton

Yardbirds with Beck

Yardbirds with Page

PPPPPPPPaul

[url=http://www.TiredIronBand.com

Fender Strat

Hamer Sunburst

Guild D-25

DeArmond Jetstar (Spel!)

Washburn HB-15C