Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Red House

antimatter

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm pretty sure I read once that the bass part was played on an acoustic guitar, obviously using the lower strings. But I doubt that Jimi used anything other than one of his trusty Strats for his parts. I could always be, and quite frequently am, wrong of course.

If so someone else will correct this I'm sure, best wishes, Tea.

The studio version of "Red House" was recorded on a Les Paul copy (I believe it was a Hofner). This is recounted on the liner notes of either "The Essential Jimi Hendrix" volumes 1 or 2. Apparently it was in such poor shape that the pickups had to be held in place with tape!

Live, as somebody stated, he tended to use a Flying V, though I have recordings of him playing with a Strat, as well.

Well, Alguit, I saw Jimi live four times, and never saw him use anything but a Strat. Even while playing "Red House". Means nothing as far as the studio version goes, I know. Just my $0.02.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Originally posted by whitefang:

"I saw Jimi live four times..."

Oh, man.... >sigh<...

I can't complain, I've seen some great shows, but... oh, man... >sigh<... .

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Seeing Hendrix live was not an option for me; I was only six when he passed and was groovin' to songs like "John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt" (his name is my name too, by the way)!

As I wrote, I have concerts where Jimi obviously is playing a strat, but I also have concert footage, both commercial and bootleg, where he is playing a V on "Red House" and a few other tunes. This footage comes from five different concerts, most of them from '69 on, the most famous being the Isle of Wight show.

WhiteFang,

FOUR times! Wow! I should have turned North instead of continuing West in 1969.

Limited response for right now, I'm in a dark hotel room in Duham, NC with the rest of the family slepin and this internet connection is throuh AOL, and the cordless keyboard is laboriously slow between key .. s..t..r..o..k..e..s.

Dave

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

~RED HOUSE~

what a song JIMI chose to do some incredible electric explorations...

a long time ago i was listening to KPFA latenite and the dj was talkin 'bout what JIMI could do w/ a tune and proceeded to play 4 different versions of 'RH' and it went for 45 minutes-i thought he about used up all the stuff one could do w/ that song...then i picked up 'variations on a theme' RED HOUSE from the 'jimi hendrix reference library' a product of ARE YOU EXPERIENCED?LTD distributed by hal leonard publishing co.(i mention all that 'cause maybe someone would look for a copy)...

this cd has 6 versions-berkeley 5/30/70

newport pop 6/20/69

studio, hollywood 1969

l.a.forum 4/26/69

albert hall 2/24/69

winterland 10/10/68

the book that comes w/ each cd dissects each cut but doesnt say which guitar is usd for the versions,-albert hall he uses a white Gibson SG Custom which i think he pulled out for alot of shows for that song.

what wonderful stuff he plays on those versions.

:cool:

AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

Jimi did actually have two Gibson LP's, as well as this supposed copy that he used on the recording, although I have never run across any documentation of that guitar, but like all of us my oppinion is quite fallable as well. In fact, one of them can be seen at the Chicago Hard Rock Cafe in the main lobby. Like most of his guitars, it is incredibly "tore up". Were talking binding pulling away from the body, pickups dented in, I mean rough rough shape. He also owneds a tobacco burst-ish LP. I do not know if it was Tobacco burst or not, but he does have two or three photos of him recording with such an LP with the Experience. Anyone else know of Jimi and his Pauls? I'd like to hear some more info on them as well, I was intrigued when I first learned that he used anything other than good ol' strats. :wave:

"'Red House'must die!" Not any of Hendrix's versions - but if I hear one more Guitar God wannabe try to take it on I won't be responsible for my actions! Many think that because it's only a three-chord blues that it plays itself the way Hendrix played it. Not so. Jimi Hendrix is perhaps the only player who ever lived who could take a simple blues to the places he took "Red House". Not that I'm a die-hard Hendrix worshipper, either; it's just that Hendrix was *sui generis*, the only one like him. Even the virtuosos of spacey guitar rock like Vai or Satriani would be hard pressed to come up with the improbable choices of licks that Hendrix played over those three chords and make it work like he did. So young, dumb etc. players at a jam or on a gig ought to leave it alone.

Just my $00.02. :cool:

I'd rather they attempt Red house than Hey Joe or All Along the Watchtower, which are the ones that get massacred on a regular basis at guitar jams more than any other Hendrix song.Having said that - last night on the radio I heard a familiar sounding tune played in a flamenco style - then realised it was Little Wing. Otmar Liebert was the guy playing it.Jimi probably would have loved it - elements of flamenco did find there way into his playing. And Angelique Kidjo's reading of Voodoo Chile is sublime.What I find a bit irritating is someone playing what is considered to be 'note for note' Hendrix (it never is) that they've learnt off tablature........but even that shows that at least they're trying.

Red House is probably one of the best Jimi tunes to learn. But you're talking about hearing people play it live or record their own versions of it, which I also don't have a problem with. It's easy enough to skip to the next tune or go outside for a moment. But in terms of learning the guitar, Red House, being a blues, is one of the best Jimi tunes to copy. Get those riffs under your nails, hear the way he plays the blues. I love it. I "ear" learned it many years ago, but didn't commit the fingerings to memory (I never bother with that part). I might just do it again. It's a great example of blues playing.

All the best,

Henry Robinett

Yeah, yeah, o.k., maybe I was being a little crotchety last night. Lord knows I've subjected "Red House" to aural abuse many times myself! You're all right and I was wrong, learning anything on the guitar is a useful exercise.

I'm just a cranky old geezer. I'll try to remember to take my medication before I post next time! :D

I know how ya feel, though, chad; there are a few songs by various groups that I feel have been trampled into the ground by mediocre bar-bands doing bad cover versions too often. Some of which were bad enough on their own! I'll just refrain from naming names. Call it the Witless Protection Program.

(It protects me from sure to come vindictive retribution if I'm witless enough to make such statements!)

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by guitplayer:

"FREEBIRD!"

:wave:

guitplayer

...And suddenly a cold chill strikes at the core of my being...

Actually the bane of my existence lately has been people clamoring for SRV covers. A big part of the reason why I stay away from Strats is because when I play them I don't sound like Stevie, I sound like some pathetic wannabe trying to sound like Stevie...

Originally posted by Caevan O'Shite:

I know how ya feel, though, chad; there are a few songs by various groups that I feel have been trampled into the ground by mediocre bar-bands doing bad cover versions too often. Some of which were bad enough on their own! I'll just refrain from naming names. Call it the Witless Protection Program.

(It protects me from sure to come vindictive retribution if I'm witless enough to make such statements!)

Geeeeez i'm wondering

if i'm one of those bad cover band's,and your

out in the crowed ready to puke when i go in

to the opening of a hendrix or srv.I guess i'll

never be the same..........wait look at that sexy

little blonde giving me the eye.......screw the

the other guitar player in the crowed you'll never

be good enough for his liking any way.The blone

though she will love it to death.

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Often overlooked, due to the legendary playing Are Jimis vocals. Nothing like that little 'Yeah' right after he starts the solo. On some live versions he does the little scat thing when he sings "wait a minute, somethings wrong". It's well documented that Jimi was very insecure about his singing, but man you could never tell.

Regardless if you play it as good on guitar, No one will ever nail the whole deal.

Jimis birthday is on Thanksgiving. Everyone should listen to their favorite version of Red House that day!

Thats like $.015

Originally posted by Dave th Dude:

Just an FYI guys. Eric Clapton used Gibsons, Les Paul, ES335 and Firebird up until, I think it was 1972 that bluestrat said.

Dave

Hey, don't forget his psycedelic painted SG!

Whoever commented on my seeing Jimi live four times...what's really dissapointing is, with the exception of a few, most films of his live performances seemed to have caught him on an "off" day! Either that, or somebody didn't know what the hell they were doing in the sound booth...

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

I have the Woodstock show, along with most of the other readily available videos. Whilst the other guitarist (Larry Lee?) is certainly out of tune lots, and the percussionists get a little irritating sometimes, I don't think you could call the second half of that show an 'Off day' for Hendrix himself.

I don't think Jimi puts a foot wrong through six or seven classic Hendrix tunes in that second half. Fire, Voodoo Chile, Star Spangled Banner, Purple Haze, Izabella and that amazing Improvisational piece. If this was an off day, I'm glad I haven't seen him really perform, I doubt I would have had the audacity to lift a guitar ever again!

Then again, come to think of it, I don't hear too much wrong with Jimis' contribution the first half of the set either! Aren't we all biased when it comes to Jimi?

I'm going to watch it now, all that typing about it has gotten me quite aroused! :D

Originally posted by Teahead:

I have the Woodstock show, along with most of the other readily available videos. Whilst the other guitarist (Larry Lee?) is certainly out of tune lots, and the percussionists get a little irritating sometimes, I don't think you could call the second half of that show an 'Off day' for Hendrix himself.

I don't think Jimi puts a foot wrong through six or seven classic Hendrix tunes in that second half. Fire, Voodoo Chile, Star Spangled Banner, Purple Haze, Izabella and that amazing Improvisational piece. If this was an off day, I'm glad I haven't seen him really perform, I doubt I would have had the audacity to lift a guitar ever again!

Then again, come to think of it, I don't hear too much wrong with Jimis' contribution the first half of the set either! Aren't we all biased when it comes to Jimi?

I'm going to watch it now, all that typing about it has gotten me quite aroused! :D

:love::love::D:D
The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Archived